Improvised Solo

Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 1:38 pm
Here's a quick recording I did while jamming along to a backing track I made by myself in Ableton, and I would appreciate some constructive feedback. Note that this is 100% improvised with no prior planning involved in the soloing itself. I'm mainly using the Eb Dorian scale. It's by far not my best playing that's showing in the recording, not by a long shot. But it's not my worst either, so let me know what you think.

Link: http://youtu.be/BUYSf7HSctQ

All the technical stuff about gear used and tone:
The Backing Track used is actually a mix of MIDI and actual recording. The "Rhythm" Guitar parts (that is, the "Clean" guitar) is recorded in Ableton, the Drum loop and Bass-line are both MIDI, which I just programmed quickly. For my own sake, I added a little "Turnaround" at the end of every 4-Bar cycle on the Drum loop, because it helps me to know when the Chord Progression is changing. That, and I think it sounded cool.

The Rhythm Guitar is recorded using an emulated Fender '65 Spring Reverb Amplifier and my Les Paul, which is mounted with a pair of Oil City Scrapyard Dog + Pickups. I used the Neck Pickup for a bit more depth, and because it sounded just a bit too "dry" with the Bridge Pickup. The guitar is tuned one half-step down on all strings (Rocksmith calls this tuning "Eb Standard"). The Rhythm Guitar just plays simple Chords that are all sustained for a Whole-Note's duration. The Chords used are Eb Minor, Ab Major, Db Major, Dbsus4 and Dbsus2. The tone is left completely untouched compared to the factory-preset in my Fender Mustang.

The Lead Guitar is recorded using an emulated British '80s Marshall-style Amplifier. Here, I'm using the exact same guitar, same tuning, same pickups in the guitar. Again, I use the Neck Pickup, just to get a bit more depth. The Gain is set to 10, Volume to 9, Treble at 7.5, Middle at 5, Bass at 7.5 and Presence at 5. The only effect used here is a Small Hall Reverb, just for added depth. As mentioned earlier, I mainly used the Eb Dorian Scale.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
04/16/2014 2:07 pm
Hey -

This is pretty cool! Reminds me of Krautrock from the late 60's - has a real raw organic minimalist feel to it. It's a combination of the tone of you guitar and how you are playing.

You do a great job of hitting notes from the chords you are playing over, which integrates the sound of the solo into the chord progression. I also like that you move around the neck playing in different registers. You also aren't repeating yourself endlessly, which many people do when playing scale shapes. You don't sound like you are playing a scale exercise.

An area for improvement are bends. Your bends tend to be flat and just miss the note you are striving for. This can sound cool when used sparingly. Something that would go a long way is to let some of your notes ring out...and perhaps add some vibrato (the vibrato part is a matter of style...so you can skip that if it isn't your style). I think that would help tie it all together more and make it sound less choppy. Work on those small areas and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

So this is fantastic - you've got yourself setup where you can record yourself. Do it...a lot!!! Put this recording on your iPod or whatever you use to listen to music and listen to it over and over again. Think about what YOU think could be done to improve it. Then the next time you step into your practice area, try to incorporate those things...and record it. Rinse and repeat!

Congrats on having the courage to post this here. Believe me, I know how it is...

Keep it up!!! And keep the recordings coming!
# 2
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorHey -

This is pretty cool! Reminds me of Krautrock from the late 60's - has a real raw organic minimalist feel to it. It's a combination of the tone of you guitar and how you are playing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. And a little proud, to be honest... I've never heard of Krautrock, though. I'll have to check them out sometime...

Originally Posted by: maggiorYou do a great job of hitting notes from the chords you are playing over, which integrates the sound of the solo into the chord progression. I also like that you move around the neck playing in different registers. You also aren't repeating yourself endlessly, which many people do when playing scale shapes. You don't sound like you are playing a scale exercise.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I do stay pretty much in one position, except for a few occasions, where I purposefully go just outside and play a note right outside of the "box". Most of it is in the 11th to 15th Fret-range. On one occasion, though, I go all the way up to the 22nd Fret on the high E-string, only to go back down to the 12th Fret "box". But I agree, it sounds like I move around a lot, but in reality, I more or less stay in the same position :)

[QUOTE=maggior]An area for improvement are bends. Your bends tend to be flat and just miss the note you are striving for. This can sound cool when used sparingly. Something that would go a long way is to let some of your notes ring out...and perhaps add some vibrato (the vibrato part is a matter of style...so you can skip that if it isn't your style). I think that would help tie it all together more and make it sound less choppy. Work on those small areas and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Yeah, the bends are one of the areas where I need to improve a bit. My ears probably aren't trained quite enough to tell the difference between spot-on and a bit flat/sharp... I'll have to work on my bends. I usually don't use a lot of vibrato, though. It's not that it's not my style, I'm just not very good at using it properly (I'll have to check out Anders' lessons on Bends and Vibrato in the Rock and Blues courses...).

[QUOTE=maggior]So this is fantastic - you've got yourself setup where you can record yourself. Do it...a lot!!! Put this recording on your iPod or whatever you use to listen to music and listen to it over and over again. Think about what YOU think could be done to improve it. Then the next time you step into your practice area, try to incorporate those things...and record it. Rinse and repeat!

Congrats on having the courage to post this here. Believe me, I know how it is...

Keep it up!!! And keep the recordings coming!

Thanks :) I already put the .wav-file into my Dropbox folder, so I can access it and download it on my Phone. I keep all my Guitar Pro-tab files there as well :) That way, I always have the same files on my laptop, my phone and my recording-computer.

At least I now have some unbiased tips on what to improve. I'll see if I can improve my bends and vibrato before I do any too serious recording. More stuff like this might come around within the next 1Ā½ months, though. There were a couple of parts I really liked in the recording, so I'll try and transcribe those and keep them around for when I record an actual instrumental solo for use at gigs and the like :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 3
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
ThorfinnFrisken
Full Access
04/16/2014 2:53 pm
Excellent!
------------------------------------
Learning guitar, one chord at a time...
# 4
maggior
maggior
04/16/2014 3:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
Yeah, the bends are one of the areas where I need to improve a bit. My ears probably aren't trained quite enough to tell the difference between spot-on and a bit flat/sharp... I'll have to work on my bends. I usually don't use a lot of vibrato, though. It's not that it's not my style, I'm just not very good at using it properly (I'll have to check out Anders' lessons on Bends and Vibrato in the Rock and Blues courses...).

The thing to focus on with bends is to know the note you are bending to. In practicing, play the note you are bending to on the adjacent string, then perform the bend on the string you plan on bending. With the sound of the note fresh in your head, you'll hear where you are either going too sharp or too flat. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Anders covers it in this way. When you get your bends under control, your playing will sound more crisp and purposeful.

The good thing is it's better to bend flat than sharp. When you over bend, it's really noticeable. :-)
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 3:34 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorThe thing to focus on with bends is to know the note you are bending to. In practicing, play the note you are bending to on the adjacent string, then perform the bend on the string you plan on bending. With the sound of the note fresh in your head, you'll hear where you are either going too sharp or too flat. It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Anders covers it in this way. When you get your bends under control, your playing will sound more crisp and purposeful.

The good thing is it's better to bend flat than sharp. When you over bend, it's really noticeable. :-)

I'll try and keep that in mind :) I've really got to get those bends right. I use bends quite a lot, so I'd better get them right so my future recordings sound better :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
maggior
maggior
04/16/2014 4:13 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowI'll try and keep that in mind :) I've really got to get those bends right. I use bends quite a lot, so I'd better get them right so my future recordings sound better :)

As you've heard from my playing, I use bends a lot also. It's my David Gilmour influence. When he plays, the notes are in constant motion either with bends or vibrato. When I was learning the Comfortably Numb solos, I remember thinking "this would be a lot easier without all of these bends!". Now it's an integral part of my playing.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Krautrock is a genre, not a band. Bands like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Ashra, Can, Amon Duul, etc. Not all of it is my cup of tea, but I'm a huge Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and Ashra fan. Ashra is formed around a German guitarist Manuel Gottsching. He's fantastic. Albums to check out of his as "Blackouts" and "Correlations".
# 7
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAs you've heard from my playing, I use bends a lot also. It's my David Gilmour influence. When he plays, the notes are in constant motion either with bends or vibrato. When I was learning the Comfortably Numb solos, I remember thinking "this would be a lot easier without all of these bends!". Now it's an integral part of my playing.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Krautrock is a genre, not a band. Bands like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Ashra, Can, Amon Duul, etc. Not all of it is my cup of tea, but I'm a huge Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and Ashra fan. Ashra is formed around a German guitarist Manuel Gottsching. He's fantastic. Albums to check out of his as "Blackouts" and "Correlations".

Ah. Thanks for the elaboration on that :)

I don't quite know what to think of it, but I find it a bit surprising that my former standard tone didn't sound as great over the track as the tone I actually went with... My tone is starting to sound more modern after I got some more "vintage"-sounding pickups for my Les Paul... It's a pretty interesting development, to be honest...

I still regret not picking up the guitar 15 years ago... I actually remember considering it because even back then, I thought it would be cool to play the guitar, and my parents even suggested it, but since my only opportunity to learn was music-education in school in front of 25 other students, I was afraid to cut my fingers on the thin strings or that I was going to look like a complete idiot... Today, I was still afraid my recording would sound like a catastrophe, but it turns out I was just underestimating myself :) I really should've started back then, when I first considered it. Or at least, I should've given it a chance!
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 8
maggior
maggior
04/16/2014 4:51 pm
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
I still regret not picking up the guitar 15 years ago... I actually remember considering it because even back then, I thought it would be cool to play the guitar, and my parents even suggested it, but since my only opportunity to learn was music-education in school in front of 25 other students, I was afraid to cut my fingers on the thin strings or that I was going to look like a complete idiot... Today, I was still afraid my recording would sound like a catastrophe, but it turns out I was just underestimating myself :) I really should've started back then, when I first considered it. Or at least, I should've given it a chance!

I can relate. I wish I got involved with a band 15 years ago! I also was too self concious and afraid I'd make a fool of myself. The important thing is you made the decision now and you are acting on it...and 15 more years didn't go by :-).

The fact that your recording shows you were understimating yourself shows just how important it is to record yourself. I keep reinforcing this lesson myself over and over again - no joking. My band mates learned how important it was too when I started recording our practice sessions and I made them available.

Keep it up man!!!
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 8:11 pm
Looks like something more might be coming up sometime soon! Just came up with a cool riff that I recorded immediately. I'll have to find some way to use that riff. It sounds very much like a hook for a Classic Rock-inspired song, like the main riff in "Train Kept A' Rollin'" or "Smoke On The Water". The kind of annoying ear-worm that just gets stuck there and begs me to play it over and over! I'll take a look at doing something with that riff when I have the time.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 10
compart1
compart1
04/16/2014 10:36 pm
Annoying Ear-worm ... love it..
# 11
haghj500
haghj500
04/17/2014 3:38 am
Kasperow,

Constructive criticism:

After listening for a while, a lot of the notes you play sound as though you are picking the strings with the same force. Wildwoman1313 talks about phrasing in her Phrasing: Teaching Your Guitar to Speak article, thereā€™s no need for me to go on about it, she already covers it. Maybe just turn on the recorder and play some stuff, a few notes soft, then some harder, mix it up, listen back.

Maybe that is the sound you are looking for, if so cool, that's what music is about.
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/17/2014 7:18 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Kasperow,

Constructive criticism:

After listening for a while, a lot of the notes you play sound as though you are picking the strings with the same force. Wildwoman1313 talks about phrasing in her Phrasing: Teaching Your Guitar to Speak article, thereā€™s no need for me to go on about it, she already covers it. Maybe just turn on the recorder and play some stuff, a few notes soft, then some harder, mix it up, listen back.

Maybe that is the sound you are looking for, if so cool, that's what music is about.

Thanks for listening to my recording, haghj500 :) I'll try experimenting a bit more with my Phrasing. Thanks for reminding me that Wildwoman1313 has written a post about it. I need to check out that article. It might just improve my Phrasing in time for the next Recording :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/22/2014 2:16 pm
Well, the next recording is in the works. It should be up by the end of the month, if not sooner :) In the meantime, I've got a couple of pretty cool Riffs and Drum-loops that I'm gonna have to play a bit with. For some unknown reason, I've noticed that my entire composing-process is a lot easier if I start with coming up with the Drum-loop for a given part of a song/instrumental piece... I choose to assume that's a good thing. Then again, it doesn't matter how anyone starts their creative process. It's the end result that matters :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 14
maggior
maggior
04/22/2014 3:45 pm
Cool, looking forward to it! And I think you are right...the end result is what matters, how you get there isn't really important.

I find inspiration in a variety of things. It can be a drum beat or an effect or just switching pickups. Whatever gets you rolling and the creative juices flowing!

I may be making a post myself soon. I'll probably revist the backing track I used for my original posting months ago. A new PRS Custom 24 S2 is waiting for me at home, so that should provide some inspiration :-).
# 15
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/22/2014 5:46 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorCool, looking forward to it! And I think you are right...the end result is what matters, how you get there isn't really important.

I find inspiration in a variety of things. It can be a drum beat or an effect or just switching pickups. Whatever gets you rolling and the creative juices flowing!

I may be making a post myself soon. I'll probably revist the backing track I used for my original posting months ago. A new PRS Custom 24 S2 is waiting for me at home, so that should provide some inspiration :-).

Yeah, a brand-new guitar should be able to provide you with some inspiration. I haven't ever played a PRS, but that's just because my local guitar store doesn't carry them (they do have them in other stores, just not the ones I usually go to). I've heard that they should be pretty good quality, though. Last time I was in a guitar store, I did, however, manage to find a guitar I'm gonna save for, even though I already now know I'll be replacing its Pickups with Oil City SD+ Pickups. I love how it feels and it plays like a dream (in my opinion, it feels even better than a Gibson Les Paul), but I don't think Active Pickups give me the right sound, and I've come to love the Oil City SD+ Pickups, so...

Earlier today, I also managed to find two video-clips from the Deep Purple concert I went to two months ago. I had completely forgotten how awesome it was to see one of the greatest Rock-bands in the world. I can only hope Aerosmith's gonna be just as awesome when I'll be seeing them play Live in the beginning of June :) Watching those clips from Deep Purple (Steve Morse' Solo + "Uncommon Man" + another Steve Morse-solo and "Smoke On The Water") is the second-most inspiring thing I've experienced this year :) It doesn't quite beat being there, though :)

I'm going to do my best on my next recording to make sure it will be more interesting to play and just as importantly, more interesting for others to listen to. I've got a pretty cool riff down, so for this one, I just need a cool drum-track, a bass-line and some more Guitar-Parts to go with the riff :) Probably won't take long to do those parts. It took me about 5 minutes with the Drum and Bass parts on my last recording, and my brother and his fiancƩ are coming over this weekend, so I might have a chance to test it against someone who's not that much into Rock :) If nothing else, I might at least get a chance to perform that instrumental solo before the upcoming music-school gig :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 16
maggior
maggior
04/22/2014 6:02 pm
PRS, at least the higher end ones (not the SE models), are hard to find in stores here. I had to resort to ordering online. It's the first time I've ordered a guitar online, so I'm a little anxious about it. I've hear nothing but good things about Sweetwater and their return policy, so it should be good. If a new guitar isn't inspiring, what is!?!?!

I saw Deep Purple back in the 90's on a double bill with Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. It was a fantastic show!! I'm not a huge fan of Steve Morse's solo stuff, but with Deep Purple, he's great!

Seeing live music is certainly inspiring!
# 17
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/22/2014 6:17 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorPRS, at least the higher end ones (not the SE models), are hard to find in stores here. I had to resort to ordering online. It's the first time I've ordered a guitar online, so I'm a little anxious about it. I've hear nothing but good things about Sweetwater and their return policy, so it should be good. If a new guitar isn't inspiring, what is!?!?!

I saw Deep Purple back in the 90's on a double bill with Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. It was a fantastic show!! I'm not a huge fan of Steve Morse's solo stuff, but with Deep Purple, he's great!

Seeing live music is certainly inspiring!

Trust me. The show in Copenhagen, February 11th, 2014... It rocked! It's a shame I didn't make it in time for the Opening Act, since my two favorite Danish guitarists were there to open for Deep Purple. I've attended two of their clinics, and they are just as inspiring as attending a concert :)

I agree with you on Steve Morse. In my opinion, he's actually a bit like Bumblefoot. I'm not a huge fan of either's solo-work, but in their respective bands (Deep Purple for Steve, Guns N' Roses for Bumblefoot), they rock. Bumble did a pretty great job on the stuff on GNR's Chinese Democracy-album (even though many die-hard GNR-fans don't like it because it lacks Slash' guitar), and Steve Morse has done a great job on a lot of Deep Purple's music.

My local guitar store is usually pretty good at getting high-end guitars home, but out of their 6 stores, they have PRS guitars in maybe 2 of them, both located over 200km from where I live... I'm not that desperate to try one out :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 18
maggior
maggior
04/22/2014 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowTrust me. The show in Copenhagen, February 11th, 2014... It rocked! It's a shame I didn't make it in time for the Opening Act, since my two favorite Danish guitarists were there to open for Deep Purple. I've attended two of their clinics, and they are just as inspiring as attending a concert :)

I agree with you on Steve Morse. In my opinion, he's actually a bit like Bumblefoot. I'm not a huge fan of either's solo-work, but in their respective bands (Deep Purple for Steve, Guns N' Roses for Bumblefoot), they rock. Bumble did a pretty great job on the stuff on GNR's Chinese Democracy-album (even though many die-hard GNR-fans don't like it because it lacks Slash' guitar), and Steve Morse has done a great job on a lot of Deep Purple's music.

My local guitar store is usually pretty good at getting high-end guitars home, but out of their 6 stores, they have PRS guitars in maybe 2 of them, both located over 200km from where I live... I'm not that desperate to try one out :)

Oh, I forgot to mention, the opening act for the Deep Purple and ELP show I saw was Dream Theater! It was actually Dream Theater we went to see. Got right up in front of the stage since they weren't widely know then. That was memorable!!

I kept hearing good things about PRS and decided to give them a try. It's too bad that you have to try so hard...
# 19
Kasperow
Kasperow
04/22/2014 7:41 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorOh, I forgot to mention, the opening act for the Deep Purple and ELP show I saw was Dream Theater! It was actually Dream Theater we went to see. Got right up in front of the stage since they weren't widely know then. That was memorable!!

I kept hearing good things about PRS and decided to give them a try. It's too bad that you have to try so hard...

Just checked the website for the store where I buy most of my gear (since they have almost all the best gear) and it turns out they have absolutely 0 PRS guitars. Anywhere. And that's the leading group of instrument-stores in the country! If they don't have it, there's a pretty good chance my only chance of ever finding a PRS will be to order one online and try it out, once I have the money to spare :) Or, of course, wait until October, when the Copenhagen Guitar Show comes around. It's like NAMM or Musikmesse Frankfurt, only smaller. Still, it was pretty cool to be there last year (especially since they had several great famous guitarists come and hold clinics, including my two favorite Danish guitarists and Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal).
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.