View post (Improvised Solo)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 1:38 pm
Here's a quick recording I did while jamming along to a backing track I made by myself in Ableton, and I would appreciate some constructive feedback. Note that this is 100% improvised with no prior planning involved in the soloing itself. I'm mainly using the Eb Dorian scale. It's by far not my best playing that's showing in the recording, not by a long shot. But it's not my worst either, so let me know what you think.

Link: http://youtu.be/BUYSf7HSctQ

All the technical stuff about gear used and tone:
The Backing Track used is actually a mix of MIDI and actual recording. The "Rhythm" Guitar parts (that is, the "Clean" guitar) is recorded in Ableton, the Drum loop and Bass-line are both MIDI, which I just programmed quickly. For my own sake, I added a little "Turnaround" at the end of every 4-Bar cycle on the Drum loop, because it helps me to know when the Chord Progression is changing. That, and I think it sounded cool.

The Rhythm Guitar is recorded using an emulated Fender '65 Spring Reverb Amplifier and my Les Paul, which is mounted with a pair of Oil City Scrapyard Dog + Pickups. I used the Neck Pickup for a bit more depth, and because it sounded just a bit too "dry" with the Bridge Pickup. The guitar is tuned one half-step down on all strings (Rocksmith calls this tuning "Eb Standard"). The Rhythm Guitar just plays simple Chords that are all sustained for a Whole-Note's duration. The Chords used are Eb Minor, Ab Major, Db Major, Dbsus4 and Dbsus2. The tone is left completely untouched compared to the factory-preset in my Fender Mustang.

The Lead Guitar is recorded using an emulated British '80s Marshall-style Amplifier. Here, I'm using the exact same guitar, same tuning, same pickups in the guitar. Again, I use the Neck Pickup, just to get a bit more depth. The Gain is set to 10, Volume to 9, Treble at 7.5, Middle at 5, Bass at 7.5 and Presence at 5. The only effect used here is a Small Hall Reverb, just for added depth. As mentioned earlier, I mainly used the Eb Dorian Scale.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...