View post (Improvised Solo)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 2:30 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorHey -

This is pretty cool! Reminds me of Krautrock from the late 60's - has a real raw organic minimalist feel to it. It's a combination of the tone of you guitar and how you are playing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it. And a little proud, to be honest... I've never heard of Krautrock, though. I'll have to check them out sometime...

Originally Posted by: maggiorYou do a great job of hitting notes from the chords you are playing over, which integrates the sound of the solo into the chord progression. I also like that you move around the neck playing in different registers. You also aren't repeating yourself endlessly, which many people do when playing scale shapes. You don't sound like you are playing a scale exercise.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I do stay pretty much in one position, except for a few occasions, where I purposefully go just outside and play a note right outside of the "box". Most of it is in the 11th to 15th Fret-range. On one occasion, though, I go all the way up to the 22nd Fret on the high E-string, only to go back down to the 12th Fret "box". But I agree, it sounds like I move around a lot, but in reality, I more or less stay in the same position :)

[QUOTE=maggior]An area for improvement are bends. Your bends tend to be flat and just miss the note you are striving for. This can sound cool when used sparingly. Something that would go a long way is to let some of your notes ring out...and perhaps add some vibrato (the vibrato part is a matter of style...so you can skip that if it isn't your style). I think that would help tie it all together more and make it sound less choppy. Work on those small areas and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

Yeah, the bends are one of the areas where I need to improve a bit. My ears probably aren't trained quite enough to tell the difference between spot-on and a bit flat/sharp... I'll have to work on my bends. I usually don't use a lot of vibrato, though. It's not that it's not my style, I'm just not very good at using it properly (I'll have to check out Anders' lessons on Bends and Vibrato in the Rock and Blues courses...).

[QUOTE=maggior]So this is fantastic - you've got yourself setup where you can record yourself. Do it...a lot!!! Put this recording on your iPod or whatever you use to listen to music and listen to it over and over again. Think about what YOU think could be done to improve it. Then the next time you step into your practice area, try to incorporate those things...and record it. Rinse and repeat!

Congrats on having the courage to post this here. Believe me, I know how it is...

Keep it up!!! And keep the recordings coming!

Thanks :) I already put the .wav-file into my Dropbox folder, so I can access it and download it on my Phone. I keep all my Guitar Pro-tab files there as well :) That way, I always have the same files on my laptop, my phone and my recording-computer.

At least I now have some unbiased tips on what to improve. I'll see if I can improve my bends and vibrato before I do any too serious recording. More stuff like this might come around within the next 1½ months, though. There were a couple of parts I really liked in the recording, so I'll try and transcribe those and keep them around for when I record an actual instrumental solo for use at gigs and the like :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...