View post (Improvised Solo)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
04/16/2014 4:39 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAs you've heard from my playing, I use bends a lot also. It's my David Gilmour influence. When he plays, the notes are in constant motion either with bends or vibrato. When I was learning the Comfortably Numb solos, I remember thinking "this would be a lot easier without all of these bends!". Now it's an integral part of my playing.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Krautrock is a genre, not a band. Bands like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Kraftwerk, Ashra, Can, Amon Duul, etc. Not all of it is my cup of tea, but I'm a huge Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, and Ashra fan. Ashra is formed around a German guitarist Manuel Gottsching. He's fantastic. Albums to check out of his as "Blackouts" and "Correlations".

Ah. Thanks for the elaboration on that :)

I don't quite know what to think of it, but I find it a bit surprising that my former standard tone didn't sound as great over the track as the tone I actually went with... My tone is starting to sound more modern after I got some more "vintage"-sounding pickups for my Les Paul... It's a pretty interesting development, to be honest...

I still regret not picking up the guitar 15 years ago... I actually remember considering it because even back then, I thought it would be cool to play the guitar, and my parents even suggested it, but since my only opportunity to learn was music-education in school in front of 25 other students, I was afraid to cut my fingers on the thin strings or that I was going to look like a complete idiot... Today, I was still afraid my recording would sound like a catastrophe, but it turns out I was just underestimating myself :) I really should've started back then, when I first considered it. Or at least, I should've given it a chance!
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...