View post (Improvised Solo)

View thread

maggior
maggior
04/16/2014 2:07 pm
Hey -

This is pretty cool! Reminds me of Krautrock from the late 60's - has a real raw organic minimalist feel to it. It's a combination of the tone of you guitar and how you are playing.

You do a great job of hitting notes from the chords you are playing over, which integrates the sound of the solo into the chord progression. I also like that you move around the neck playing in different registers. You also aren't repeating yourself endlessly, which many people do when playing scale shapes. You don't sound like you are playing a scale exercise.

An area for improvement are bends. Your bends tend to be flat and just miss the note you are striving for. This can sound cool when used sparingly. Something that would go a long way is to let some of your notes ring out...and perhaps add some vibrato (the vibrato part is a matter of style...so you can skip that if it isn't your style). I think that would help tie it all together more and make it sound less choppy. Work on those small areas and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

So this is fantastic - you've got yourself setup where you can record yourself. Do it...a lot!!! Put this recording on your iPod or whatever you use to listen to music and listen to it over and over again. Think about what YOU think could be done to improve it. Then the next time you step into your practice area, try to incorporate those things...and record it. Rinse and repeat!

Congrats on having the courage to post this here. Believe me, I know how it is...

Keep it up!!! And keep the recordings coming!