a question for anyone that has a 6 hour or more practice schedule

zachzeppelin
zachzeppelin
06/20/2003 6:44 am
What is your plan like? What do you do during your long practice regimine? I am trying to start a longer practice plan but I don't know how to set it up. Thank you.
# 1
Grub
Grub
06/20/2003 7:47 am
chance'd be a fine thing. between work, ahem..pleasing the wife etc I'm lucky if i can fit in half an hour a day. you hearing stories about how players like Joe Pass and Steve Vai practiced solidly for 8+ hours a day before making it. never had that power of concentration myself.
# 2
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/20/2003 12:39 pm
I play 1-5 hours a day, most days maybe 2-3 hours.
I do scales for maybe an hour;
not scales as in playing them up & down & up & down &...
instead I come up with some easy chord-progressions,
and then I solo like crazy, trying to ram in all the
modes, scales, techniques, styles, tricks and tips I know of.
Of course maybe you should learn some tricks, styles, scales and stuff but I do not do that very often.
Usually I have days where I just have to learn something new,
so then I just sit al day with the guitar, hanging out here
learning some nice tricks, learning scales, setups,
theory etc. until my brain bleeds, and thats pretty much the
only time I practice 8-10 hours in one day.
However, these days are rare, most of the days I just
work with what I've got, maybe trying to explore whats really
possible to accomplish with a e-minor-scale, a missing
A-string, an enormous tube-amp and a really bad temper.
These jamming-sessions are important to me because they give
me an opportunity to develop "my" playing.
Lets say you have a scale, a trick and a technique.
You play the scale.
You play the trick.
You play the technique (for example sweeping)
Well ok, that was'nt all that fun.
But you keep playing them, and playing them, and playing them,
and oh wait, whats this? wait a minute, if I combine
a 3-string sweep with this first part of the trick, uhm no..
maybe I can change it a little, hmmm it sounds to dark and moody,
but if I do this little run in this scale, maybe I can....

As usual my post is way too long, I apologize.
Hopefully you'll understand some of this rubbish I've written,
but probably not, anyway I have a last tip for ya:

NEVER and I do mean NEVER play unless you want to.
Don't play 6 hours a day just because you feel you have to,
that will make it more and more of a 9 to 5 job, and
you might lose your will to play, forever!

# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
06/20/2003 5:45 pm
Jeez wot is it with practice sessions. Its more productive just jamming along to a record or messing around for an hour or so.
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/21/2003 3:15 am
Both are important, Axl_Rose.

Chances are, when you are jamming to records, that you have alot of CD's of a certain band (like you, Axle, probably have alot of Guns and Roses). The problem with this is that you will develop habits only suit to that style of music, and won't have a variety of guitar tones.

Do both, split it up about 50/50.
# 5
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
06/21/2003 7:33 pm
Well its not one band, its a genre, hard rock. Id say ive nailed the basics at least of bluesy metal!!
# 6
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/21/2003 10:01 pm
Well if you like to practice, I see nothing wrong in it.
I like it, it's genuine fun, it's nothing I force myself to do,
it's something I choose to do.
For some people jamming some nice chords for 5 minutes
is more than enough, and some people do scales for 16 hours a day.
People are different they and do different stuff, it's as simple as that.
For some people practicing scale runs for more than 2 minutes
is just plain hell, but for me it's heaven (ok maybe not heaven,
but you know what I mean..)

# 7
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
06/28/2003 3:18 am
i usually practice 10-12 hours a day, seriously. i dont work or go to school, so my day is free to play guitar all the time, and then at night i go party my ass off.

my time is spent doing this.

1 hour = warmup - scale work, arps, tapping (start with 4 fingers, advance to 8), chord changes, speed picking.

2 hours = redos - I go through every instrumental that i have written, and perfect them even more, making them a part of my brain that cant be forgotten.

2 hours = styles - I move from all different styles, going through blues, jazz, country, metal, classical, rock, acoustic, instrumental. I make practice scales, arps, chord changes, and spend an hour of that time doing improvisation. Simply for practice sake.

2 hours = research - since there is so much to be learned on the net, i spend time with guitar in hand, going through sites, and lessons, looking for something new to learn, or something old to practice. Most of this time is spent on theory, since i have no formal training in that.

3+ hours = composing - this is my time to be creative, and put all my knowledge to use. Usually i try to write something from each main group that i listen to and play. Jazz, blues, rock, classical, acoustic. I try to incorporate different styles and techniques into everything, and i range from extreme flare, to simple melodies. And when the time calls for it, i throw in some lyrics, just for kicks.

this is my daily routine.
life is all about having sex with beautiful women.
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 3:53 am
12 hours would mean that, lets say that you wake up at 8 o clock. This means that from 8 O clock AM to 8 O Clock PM, you do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING but music. This means that you don't eat breakfast, take a ****, take a shower, ever do anything but play guitar.

I wonder how you have time to be typing messages on a guitar tricks forum if you have such a busy schedule, with your partying/guitarplaying/sleeping.

# 9
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
06/29/2003 3:45 pm
Slash says that he used to spend 12 hrs a day with the guitar in his teenage , but I'm sure it wasn't daily .

I usualy play guitar not less than half an hr a day (I never force myself to play) , and sometimes when rehearsing for a gig or so I spend 10+ hrs with the guitar per day (practicing alone + jamming) for a couple of days in a row , but not a lot more.

IMHO ,too much of anything and it becomes BORING !
# 10
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
06/29/2003 8:14 pm
12 hrs is a little bit too much, siriously. I´m not sure if that´s good for your health man.

I use to play between 2-4 hrs evryday, and most of my friends thinks that I´m insane but that amount of time is pretty cool. Beside that I can work a bit, meet friends, play some soccer and lift some weights.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 11
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/29/2003 8:18 pm
Absolutely! And you become isolated from the other world which totaly sucks. If you play for 12 hr when are you gonna see your girfriend, drink beer with your friends or play soccer/ whatever???
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 12
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
06/29/2003 8:29 pm
off my connection is so fu*ckin slow... i did not mean to repeat your words, Dejian:)
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 13
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 8:45 pm
woah, that just blew my mind!

Last summer I was doing 8 hours a day, and I became a total isolationist, and it is NOT good for your health! I began to hate people, hate the people do this and that, etc.

I still do 8 hours this summer, but I also do things that relieve my stress, like videogames and such. I don't have a job, and 8 hours is not unreasonable. I believe 12 is, however. It is my opinion that mr. Jesse Sutton is stretching the truth a little bit.

Now, if listening to music counted on that 12 hours, i would say "that sounds reasonable", but 3 hours of composing a day, for somebody that can't read music? give me a break!

Sorry for not having faith in you, Mr. Sutton.
# 14
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
06/30/2003 1:41 am
I totally understand where you are coming from and i dont blame you, because most people dont believe me anyways, but its actually true.

I handle all this because:

I dont work or go to school, which means i have lots of free time. I am an insomniac, so i am lucky to get 5 or 6 hours any night, which is very stressful, but i am used to it, because i have been having little amounts of sleep for years, and have handled it.

Also, i have extreme clinical depression, and those are the doctors actual words, so i am kind of a shut in, and the only reasons i go out at all, is because my friends make me. I do have fun when i go out, but it takes some convincing.

Of course this isnt the way it is, every day, all the time, no matter what. This is most days, not all days, so maybe 5 or 6 days of the week this will be my schedule.

If you still dont believe me, then i cant do anything about it, so no worries.

peace, love and happiness.

jesse sutton.
# 15
jesse sutton
jesse sutton
06/30/2003 1:46 am
by the way,

what did you mean, how could i compose music for 3 hours, if i cant read music?

what did Slash do when he wanted to compose? He couldnt read music. So i guess he never wrote anything ever right?

I can still right a bajillion songs, simply by using tab.

thank you very much.

jesse.

p.s I didnt mean to sound like an ass, but i was a little vexed by that remark.
# 16
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
06/30/2003 2:10 am
I just go back and fourth to my room to play troughout the day, maybe an hour at a time, and it usually just rounds out to about 6hrs. (on a good day :) )
Someimtes I practise scales (I just finnished doing that) or learn a song, or just improvise, or make up some cool chords and figure out what they're called, or even just listen to a guitar based song. Its all pretty spontanious, and its more fun that way I find, and practising should be fun, or else you'll start looking it at it as a chore, and thats the last thing you wanna do.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 17
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/30/2003 3:14 am
You changed your initial comment, had you said that it is 5 or 6 days a week, I would have believed you.

About your extreme clinical depression- I have a less serious form of that, and I've found that it can bring extremely awesome highs, and really bad lows (my lows aren't as bad as they used to be, my highs are getting good though). It hasn't been prescribed or anything, but its one of those things you can feel. What I've found is that as I get better, my lows get a bit less severe, and eventually I'm hoping for everything to be one big High. During the "high time", i can play everything and anything i want, during 'low time', its hard to play up to par.

At my school, I play in a band with all Seniors (i'm a freshman). I play lead guitar, and i'm very well known at my school for my abilities. Everyone has huge confidence in me, except the most imoprtant person. Me. I never feel as if i'm good enough, although I have developed faster than anyone that I know has. I've been offered to be a session player at my guitar instructor's Recording Studio, i turned him down and said "Maybe in a year".

You know what, Jesse, I think I understand the situation and I think we are in close boats- Your depression a little more serious than mine, but nonetheless we both have the same blessing/curse. I don't have Insomnia, though.

Tell me, when you are in public, do you always feel uncomfortable? Like you'd rather be playing your guitar than 'hanging out' at some movie theater or something with friends? Man, i do, and its really hard for me to communicate with people. I mean, i don't even have an interest of chasing girls, because I know how pointless it is after two hours of wasted time and no action. I gave up two years ago.

The anti-social thing that i have, i developed it a few years back. I've always felt different, i don't know.
I always thought this would be a bigger problem, but word of mouth travels very fast, and if a good drummer wants to jam with me, he'll know, without me even confronting him.

Sorry for the rant, this is the first time i've ever told anybody about this, i thought it was just some obsessive disease (and i know it is, its other things too). Now, whether or not it's something different, it just seems to me that its similar to what i have.

PS. nevermind the composing 3 hours thing, i was filling out Job applications (saving up for another Gibson Les Paul), and was really irritated about the fact that i have to work to get money.

Tomorrow I'm going to set my stopwatch, I want to see if my 8 hour schedule is accurate.

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 06-29-2003 at 10:16 PM]
# 18
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/30/2003 4:10 am
Jesse and Incidents, I definitely know where you guys are at. I think from the time I was 15 to 18, I rarely spoke to anyone. I spent the time I got home from school til the time I went to bed either listening to music or playing it. I never watched TV or anything. My parents even tried getting me into something like a boys club, but I only went once and I sat outside the whole time I was there. Then I got asked to play in a band. Didn't really want to but it was a chance to jam out. I think for the first 3 months I was in the band, I hardly talked to anyone in the band. They just kept me around because I was "good". After a few months of playing shows and always having people around I finally broke out of that state of mind. Now I get out as much as I can. I still crave solitude but I balance my time and I'm actually alot happier. I think you appreciate solitude more if you get out alittle. As for practicing for 8-12 hrs a day, I did that alot on the weekends. You know school, haha. But after almost 8 yrs of doing that I got sick of playing. Once I got out of H.S, I got more into writting music. And I have spend 12 hrs a day composing, but not everyday. Did that until about 5 or 6 months ago, since I have hardly written anything except small little things. I'm taking a break.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 19
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
07/01/2003 4:16 am
Originally posted by Dejan Sajinovic
I use to play between 2-4 hrs evryday, and most of my friends thinks that I´m insane but that amount of time is pretty cool. Beside that I can work a bit, meet friends, play some soccer and lift some weights.

Dude , I have to say that you're my MAW (Most Agreed With ;) ) guy on this site !

I only don't play soccer oftenly. :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.