View post (a question for anyone that has a 6 hour or more practice schedule)

View thread

jesse sutton
jesse sutton
06/28/2003 3:18 am
i usually practice 10-12 hours a day, seriously. i dont work or go to school, so my day is free to play guitar all the time, and then at night i go party my ass off.

my time is spent doing this.

1 hour = warmup - scale work, arps, tapping (start with 4 fingers, advance to 8), chord changes, speed picking.

2 hours = redos - I go through every instrumental that i have written, and perfect them even more, making them a part of my brain that cant be forgotten.

2 hours = styles - I move from all different styles, going through blues, jazz, country, metal, classical, rock, acoustic, instrumental. I make practice scales, arps, chord changes, and spend an hour of that time doing improvisation. Simply for practice sake.

2 hours = research - since there is so much to be learned on the net, i spend time with guitar in hand, going through sites, and lessons, looking for something new to learn, or something old to practice. Most of this time is spent on theory, since i have no formal training in that.

3+ hours = composing - this is my time to be creative, and put all my knowledge to use. Usually i try to write something from each main group that i listen to and play. Jazz, blues, rock, classical, acoustic. I try to incorporate different styles and techniques into everything, and i range from extreme flare, to simple melodies. And when the time calls for it, i throw in some lyrics, just for kicks.

this is my daily routine.
life is all about having sex with beautiful women.