What amp should I get? I play mostly metal

hunter1801
hunter1801
05/07/2009 4:50 am
Well, its time for me to get my second amp.....seeing as how I'm still using my first Fender practice amp I got when I starting learning 12 years ago. I could keep the one I have, but it has some problems, plus Im going to start recording videos for YouTube (hopefully) this summer, so I figured I should get something good. I don't even know where to begin looking, or what to look for.

It will be used in my room mostly, so I don't need anything extremely loud. I don't ever play with a band, or a drummer, so I won't have to worry about that. I play metal, but I don't want a ton of gain/distortion. Stuff I play is mostly Megadeth, Symphony X, Iced Earth, basically a lot of thrash, power, and progressive stuff. So I want a distortion sound, but I don't want it to down out the tone when I play more than one note. I guess you could call it....clean distortion? If that makes any sense. If you listen to Megadeth you should know what I mean, when riffs are being played, they are very clear, but its still being played with distortion. With my current amp, Single notes/strings sound good, but when I play an individual note, then another at the same time, it gives a lot of distortion and drowns out the tones.

I read the sticky about buying an amp, but it didn't really point me in any direction. Im still kind of lost. Oh, and my budget is less than $600 otd. Thanks
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/07/2009 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Well, its time for me to get my second amp.....seeing as how I'm still using my first Fender practice amp I got when I starting learning 12 years ago. I could keep the one I have, but it has some problems, plus Im going to start recording videos for YouTube (hopefully) this summer, so I figured I should get something good. I don't even know where to begin looking, or what to look for.

It will be used in my room mostly, so I don't need anything extremely loud. I don't ever play with a band, or a drummer, so I won't have to worry about that. I play metal, but I don't want a ton of gain/distortion. Stuff I play is mostly Megadeth, Symphony X, Iced Earth, basically a lot of thrash, power, and progressive stuff. So I want a distortion sound, but I don't want it to down out the tone when I play more than one note. I guess you could call it....clean distortion? If that makes any sense. If you listen to Megadeth you should know what I mean, when riffs are being played, they are very clear, but its still being played with distortion. With my current amp, Single notes/strings sound good, but when I play an individual note, then another at the same time, it gives a lot of distortion and drowns out the tones.

I read the sticky about buying an amp, but it didn't really point me in any direction. Im still kind of lost. Oh, and my budget is less than $600 otd. Thanks

Marshall Zakk Wylde MG15MSZW:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Zakk-Wylde-MG15MSZW-15w-Microstack-Amp?sku=481032
Demo (non-english - good player and covers clean to distorted):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcgekL_Egbo

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 60W
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912
Demo (show much of the features and a bit of playing):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sla0cLAMGpE

Just for me, I like the mini-stack because of the closed cabs. It doesn't seep low ends like combos do but that is usually at higher volumes. The Peavy is LOTS of amp for the money. With all the built in stuff, it's kinda hard to go wrong.
# 2
antonskv
antonskv
05/07/2009 5:02 pm
I am in a same situation, i have a Fender practice amp and i'm looking to get a new one soon.

Your budget is much bigger than mine, but from what i've been trying out i can say that Peavey Vypyrs are excellent amps.

If your budget is really almost $600 you probably could get a Tube amp for that money.

I myself will probably get Vypyr 30W: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-30-30W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922869-i1413606.gc

Or maybe if i get some extra money 75W one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922877-i1413607.gc

But its all $200-$300 price, you probably could get something really good for your budget.

For under $600 from Vypyr series they got a 60W Tube amp, that also sounds excellent.

Peavey Vypyr 60W Tube Amp: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922893-i1413609.gc

Though i'm a big fan of Peavey Vypyrs there might be a loads of other good amps available that i am not aware about.

But in the end its all up to you, go to the store and try different amps and see which one you like the most.

Let us know what u went with.
# 3
m stock
m stock
05/07/2009 5:13 pm
i have a crate gx series dual tripod 100 watt 2 12 inch celestron speakers tons of sound lots of gain 2 channels one for clean sound and the other for reverb and gain and it also has a switch pedal to use both channels for a lot of gain and clean togather i cannot turn it up past 2 in the house had it to 4 once with my pvey half stack attached more sound than i ever need for at home i like it alot close to a marshall sound and it is solid state and tube hybrid it was around $360 ( music man stores) also has a effects loop option i have played it for quite a while no problems it is not pevey or marshall but it is pretty good for home use and the price was good i play a gibson les paul epihone copy and a gibson special and a washburn all sound great through the amp
hope it helps
# 4
antonskv
antonskv
05/07/2009 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: m stocki have a crate gx series dual tripod 100 watt 2 12 inch celestron speakers tons of sound lots of gain 2 channels one for clean sound and the other for reverb and gain and it also has a switch pedal to use both channels for a lot of gain and clean togather i cannot turn it up past 2 in the house had it to 4 once with my pvey half stack attached more sound than i ever need for at home i like it alot close to a marshall sound and it is solid state and tube hybrid it was around $360 ( music man stores) also has a effects loop option i have played it for quite a while no problems it is not pevey or marshall but it is pretty good for home use and the price was good i play a gibson les paul epihone copy and a gibson special and a washburn all sound great through the amp
hope it helps

100W? Lol :) Dont blow the windows out of your house :) I have heard good things about Crate amps. I have never even tried it myself though.
# 5
m stock
m stock
05/08/2009 6:58 pm
i started playing in the 70.s and had marshalls 50 w tube amps so i got used to the sound and amprage the small amps just cannot make my gibson special or les paul copy sound like it is suppose to you need the power to get the sound ted nugent van hallen, ac dc, all metal is lots of amps just nothing like cranking up an 100w and hearing what a good guitar can sound like (makes sounds you never knew a guitar could make )
guess i am just old school at hart back then you did not have a lot of choises for effects in 1970 fuzz tone and electric mistress & wah wah pedal was just about all u had so amps made up for the lack of effect

my ears paid the price i always wear ear plugs now
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/08/2009 11:10 pm
Well as far as tube amps, I was under the impression that they only really sound their best at high volumes. Since Ill be playing in my room, I won't have the volume turned up really loud. Will it be worth getting a tube amp if Im just playing in my room?
# 7
antonskv
antonskv
05/09/2009 1:19 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Well as far as tube amps, I was under the impression that they only really sound their best at high volumes. Since Ill be playing in my room, I won't have the volume turned up really loud. Will it be worth getting a tube amp if Im just playing in my room?

Well i mean if you just playing in your room, like me, i don't think you need to get a huge amp, if it is a big step. I think 30W its more than enough.

But its all up to you, see if you have a crap load of money then get a huge 100W tube amp and don't even worry about it, it might come in handy later when you start playing in places where u need your own amp, like at the big party or whatever.

So if you CAN afford it of course powerful Tube Amp is the best.

If i had $600 to spend, i would get a $200 solid state amp and get bunch of additional stuff for it, like maybe cool some effect pedals.

If you DEFINITELY know that you only play in your room, there is another way you can go.... You can get a good Audio Interface for your computer with couple big studio monitors.

This is what i have now, i have a Line6 UX1 and monitors hooked up to it. My guitar is hooked to it and on my comp i can add any effects i want. For simple jamming its awesome, but Audio Interface can also allow you to work on music on your comp.

When i want to jam i just turn on GTR Solo on stand-alone and jam away.

Of course my Line6 UX1 is relatively cheap USB interface, but for more money you can get something really professional like M-Audio ProFire 610, which is FireWire interface. FireWire interfaces have lower latency, which is much better.

But that's not for everybody, i mean an amp you can just take with you somewhere if you want. With interfaces its more complicated.

I mean it really is up to you, it all depends on your situation.
# 8
antonskv
antonskv
05/16/2009 7:58 pm
Guys,

I thought this is a right thread to post this is....

I just bought a Pevey Vypyr 15W.... It's an awesome amp! I mean i thought i just get something to hold me over till i got money to get a Tube Amp....

But damn, i didnt expect it to sound so good! It really is something else!

I mean amount of effects built into it is amazing, and for simple house playing its more then enough power. I turned it to 1/4 and already neighbors came complaining. It does pack a punch.

So this is my final recommendation, if not tube amp... Vypyr is the way to go.

Now i can finally say it from experience.
# 9
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/19/2009 2:05 am
Thanks for the input, I was looking at Peavey amps. 1 week till school is done then I go shopping for an amp!!! :D
# 10
antonskv
antonskv
05/19/2009 2:26 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Thanks for the input, I was looking at Peavey amps. 1 week till school is done then I go shopping for an amp!!! :D

Dude i really didn't have money to get a 30W one, but thats what i would recommend. See all Vypyrs besides 15W have stomp box knob that gives additional effects, so i suggest you get a 30W, but if u don't have money for it 15W one is also VERY good.

I mean if you have limitless amount of money or lets say up to $600, then get a Vypyr Tube amp. 60W one and 120W ones are Tube amps, they are really great, i tried on in the store, i wish i had money for it it.

Line6 Spiders are direct competitors of Peavey Vypyrs, but see Vypyrs are much more customizable than Spiders, so if some wise-crack gonna tell you in the store that they are better, try it first and make sure u go through all options to see that i'm not lying.

ALSO! For Vypyr you can get a Sanpera pedal which will give you additional control over your amp. Sanpera I and Sanpera II pedals have loop pedal built if im not mistaken and they add additional effects to the ones that are built into the amp. So Vypyr with Sanpera pedal its like a real setup which has everything that a guitarist could want. I mean maybe its not enough for Slash or Joe Satriani, but im sure its enough for most of the hobbyists.

Hope you will like it if u get it! Try it out definitely at the store.

Cheers.
# 11
Geoff.T.
Geoff.T.
05/23/2009 5:56 am
I just bought a Marshall AVT 50 for playing at home. I play metal and this amp is **** hot, even at low levels it has that unmistakable valve sound but cranks when you want to. Try it and you will buy it.
# 12
antonskv
antonskv
05/23/2009 6:09 am
Originally Posted by: Geoff.T.I just bought a Marshall AVT 50 for playing at home. I play metal and this amp is **** hot, even at low levels it has that unmistakable valve sound but cranks when you want to. Try it and you will buy it.

Geoff, that's awesome man. I'm glad you like your amp.... There is a thing about it though....

And the thing is Marshall AVT50 is a discontinued product. They don't make it anymore, and I'm not sure musical instruments stores sell this model. You could probably still get it from EBay or some online sites.

Here is a few links that show this product been discontinued:

http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-MARAVT50
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHAVT50
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-AVT50-Combo-Amp?sku=483173

When they discontinue a product, its usually means that it doesn't sell or there is something wrong with them. For example if 40 out of 100 amps been returned or broken they might pull it out of the shelf for faulty design or something.

But that DON'T MEAN there is anything wrong with the amp you have.

Marshall amps are known for their awesome tone, and if i ever get closer to professional level and will have finances to own one, i will definitely get a Marshall Amp Head with a Cabinet. But that's like $2000 dollar equipment, which i can't really afford now.
# 13
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/25/2009 4:52 am
Well I was looking at Peavey's but was confused on the models. According to Guitar Center's website, the 60W is clearly labeled as a tube amp, but the 75W isn't. Is it not a tube amp?

60W amp

75W amp
# 14
antonskv
antonskv
05/25/2009 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Well I was looking at Peavey's but was confused on the models. According to Guitar Center's website, the 60W is clearly labeled as a tube amp, but the 75W isn't. Is it not a tube amp?

60W amp

75W amp

No hunter 75W is not a Tube Amp, you can see it from the price, 75W one is cheaper amp than a 60W Tube one. In Vypyrs only 60W and 120W are Tube Amps, and 15W, 30W, 75W are not. If you have money for it, i would suggest to get the Tube Amp of course - if you can afford it, its expensive. =)

Oh also next time u go, ask Guitar Center to show you a Sanpera Pedal, its a great addition to Vypyr amp. They have Sanpera I and Sanpera II models, here are the links:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Sanpera-I-Guitar-Footswitch-105144521-i1413567.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Sanpera-II-Guitar-Footswitch-105144547-i1413566.gc

If im not mistaken those pedals access effects inside the Vypyr Amp and it makes them switchable by foot so u can do it on the fly while playing. Also i think Sanpera pedals have Loop Effect built in, which is like crazy cool for practice.

Ask them in Guitar Center to show you how it works, you'll love it. :)
# 15
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/25/2009 5:33 am
so the "Patented TransTube technology in preamp and power amp" doesn't really have anything to do with tubes in the 75 watt?

On a side note, Ive been researching this line of amps the past couple days and have already decided that Id probably spend the extra money on the Sanpera II if I got one lol.
# 16
antonskv
antonskv
05/25/2009 6:39 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801so the "Patented TransTube technology in preamp and power amp" doesn't really have anything to do with tubes in the 75 watt?

On a side note, Ive been researching this line of amps the past couple days and have already decided that Id probably spend the extra money on the Sanpera II if I got one lol.

Hunter, every single of Vypyr Amps has that "Patented TransTube technology in preamp and power amp". Look at GuitarCenters website page for Vypyr 15W, here it is: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Vypyr-15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp-104922851-i1413605.gc

You'll see it has that as one of the features. It doesn't make it a Tube Amp.

Vypyrs that are Tube Amps have "Tube" written in the name, like "Peavey Vypyr Tube 120".

For the purposes that you've said in the beginning, if you want a Tube Amp save your money and get a Vypyr 60, 'cause 120 is just a monster really, you'll blow your windows in your room :) lol

I visited a friend in a studio and he had 120 there, for a huge room even it was a lot. I mean i think you could easily use it in a small concert.

If Vypyrs would have smaller tube model, i would recommend a smaller one. But unfortunately from Vypyr models the 60W is the smallest tube amp they got.

That Vypyr 75 you are asking about is not a tube amp, but its still an EXCELLENT amp. Everybody i know never said anything bad about any of Peavey Vypyrs.

And since i got one myself, i can verify that they make very decent amps.

I mean final decision is up to you of course, and i recommend you give some serious test driving to all Vypyrs. And then see which one of them you want to use to make your neighbors move two states away from you. ;)
# 17
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/25/2009 6:01 pm
Alright, one more question then (actually two).

1) As far as watts go, is the difference in loudness? So a 75W will be more powerful and louder than the 60W tube amp?

2) My friend is trying to get me to buy a big enough amp to be played over drums. He knows that I just play by myself, and I have for years, but he says that just in case I SOMEDAY decide to jam with a friend on drums, I would need an amp that could be heard over them so I don't get drowned out. My question is, what size amp would you need for that. All he told me was at least a half stack (which Im not too sure what that means). But are these two Vypers powerful enough to be played in this way, or would I need to go bigger?
# 18
antonskv
antonskv
05/25/2009 7:46 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Alright, one more question then (actually two).

1) As far as watts go, is the difference in loudness? So a 75W will be more powerful and louder than the 60W tube amp?

2) My friend is trying to get me to buy a big enough amp to be played over drums. He knows that I just play by myself, and I have for years, but he says that just in case I SOMEDAY decide to jam with a friend on drums, I would need an amp that could be heard over them so I don't get drowned out. My question is, what size amp would you need for that. All he told me was at least a half stack (which Im not too sure what that means). But are these two Vypers powerful enough to be played in this way, or would I need to go bigger?

As to the first question, i just don't know. This is something you going to have to ask at Guitar Center. I never really gave it any thought as how "Tube Watts" compare to "Solid State Watts", i only know that Tube Amps are considered to have "more kick".

Your friend is ultimately wrong, 'cause i played on Vypyr Tube 120W next to our drummer and it wasn't even half-way on. I think you could play Vypyr Tube 60W with same success along with the drums. Everybody always thinks that regular combo amps are **** and to do anything real you need a stack for it, but that's not true.

Half-Stack i believe is is the Amp Head with a Cabinet, here is the link to Marshall half-stack: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM-Series-JVM410H-and-1936-2x12-Half-Stack-482733-i1322990.gc

Those half-stacks are loud as hell you can use them on a gig. But they are expensive too, that Marshall i gave you the link to is a $2500. Those Marshall stacks are the best, but is that really what you need for your home?
# 19
JeffS65
JeffS65
05/25/2009 8:45 pm
I think it depends on what you play and with whom.

If you play subtle jazz, a combo will do great. Metal? Not as likely.

I played with very hard hitting, loud drummers and combo amps never seemed to cut through. At least not with any level of good tone. Open back combo amps tend to bleed lots of the bottom end of the tone at higher volumes. That nice fat tone you dialed in sitting by yourself is likely to scream in a bit of pain if you have to play over someone who plays in a more heavy handed rock/metal style.

Reality was for me, in the day, I had an old 70's Peavy Classic combo that I played through a Turbo Overdrive and Wah and it got great tone at all but the highest volumes. The amp had an 'out' that I could plug in to a 4x12 cabinet. It has massive tone and plenty of volume then.

In my unofficial opinion, the watts can be important but 50 is plenty. If you can get a cabinet (even a 2x12), you'll be able to get a good sound at a decent volume. The wattage does affect the volume but at a point anything has too much volume. Higher wattage amps tend to have the ability to overdrive post tubes or push the speakers in desirable ways. So, there are reasons why high watt amps exist but for all practical purposes, a good amp with decent tone and effects will do a fine job without having to overwhelm.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.