View post (What amp should I get? I play mostly metal)

View thread

antonskv
antonskv
05/09/2009 1:19 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Well as far as tube amps, I was under the impression that they only really sound their best at high volumes. Since Ill be playing in my room, I won't have the volume turned up really loud. Will it be worth getting a tube amp if Im just playing in my room?

Well i mean if you just playing in your room, like me, i don't think you need to get a huge amp, if it is a big step. I think 30W its more than enough.

But its all up to you, see if you have a crap load of money then get a huge 100W tube amp and don't even worry about it, it might come in handy later when you start playing in places where u need your own amp, like at the big party or whatever.

So if you CAN afford it of course powerful Tube Amp is the best.

If i had $600 to spend, i would get a $200 solid state amp and get bunch of additional stuff for it, like maybe cool some effect pedals.

If you DEFINITELY know that you only play in your room, there is another way you can go.... You can get a good Audio Interface for your computer with couple big studio monitors.

This is what i have now, i have a Line6 UX1 and monitors hooked up to it. My guitar is hooked to it and on my comp i can add any effects i want. For simple jamming its awesome, but Audio Interface can also allow you to work on music on your comp.

When i want to jam i just turn on GTR Solo on stand-alone and jam away.

Of course my Line6 UX1 is relatively cheap USB interface, but for more money you can get something really professional like M-Audio ProFire 610, which is FireWire interface. FireWire interfaces have lower latency, which is much better.

But that's not for everybody, i mean an amp you can just take with you somewhere if you want. With interfaces its more complicated.

I mean it really is up to you, it all depends on your situation.