View post (What amp should I get? I play mostly metal)

View thread

antonskv
antonskv
05/25/2009 7:46 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Alright, one more question then (actually two).

1) As far as watts go, is the difference in loudness? So a 75W will be more powerful and louder than the 60W tube amp?

2) My friend is trying to get me to buy a big enough amp to be played over drums. He knows that I just play by myself, and I have for years, but he says that just in case I SOMEDAY decide to jam with a friend on drums, I would need an amp that could be heard over them so I don't get drowned out. My question is, what size amp would you need for that. All he told me was at least a half stack (which Im not too sure what that means). But are these two Vypers powerful enough to be played in this way, or would I need to go bigger?

As to the first question, i just don't know. This is something you going to have to ask at Guitar Center. I never really gave it any thought as how "Tube Watts" compare to "Solid State Watts", i only know that Tube Amps are considered to have "more kick".

Your friend is ultimately wrong, 'cause i played on Vypyr Tube 120W next to our drummer and it wasn't even half-way on. I think you could play Vypyr Tube 60W with same success along with the drums. Everybody always thinks that regular combo amps are **** and to do anything real you need a stack for it, but that's not true.

Half-Stack i believe is is the Amp Head with a Cabinet, here is the link to Marshall half-stack: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-JVM-Series-JVM410H-and-1936-2x12-Half-Stack-482733-i1322990.gc

Those half-stacks are loud as hell you can use them on a gig. But they are expensive too, that Marshall i gave you the link to is a $2500. Those Marshall stacks are the best, but is that really what you need for your home?