Am I just wierd, or is this normal?

hunter1801
hunter1801
05/15/2007 9:08 pm
I cannot for the life of me play guitar.....and sing at the same time. I can't even talk at the same time or I will mess up on the guitar. If I'm playing, I'm concentrating on so many things, and I can't see how people can do that and sing at the same time. Its so frustrating! Watching people like Alexi Laiho, and Dave Mustaine play guitar the way they do AND sing makes me jealous lol. Anyone else have this "problem"?
# 1
mdaddict
mdaddict
05/15/2007 9:13 pm
Well I can honestly say i have had the problem and now recently just getting over it after three years, because i get so distracted easily still i find my self gettin too focused on one or another and forgettin about the rest but i just kept practicin friends while they played and sang and soon after that I was able to join in.. yeah idk think that helped much but i hope it did. so good luck :D
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
05/15/2007 9:58 pm
well it is quite hard at first

what i suggest is first just play some chords and sing the root of the chords, with the rythm of the chord. that shouldnt be too hard.

then try addin notes that are in the chord but not the root. but every time the chord changes sing the root.
dont play to complicated rythms or anythin.

after this try and expand what you can plabit by bit. make the rythm more complex, or the singin but not both at the sames time.

give it a go.
# 3
da_ardvark
da_ardvark
05/15/2007 10:00 pm
This is a fairly common problem. There are a coupla things to keep in mind.

1. There are some songs that are easier to sing and play at the same time than others. Some I can do easily, some are far trickier. For me the most difficult some to sing and play at the same time is AC/DC TNT. Each part taken alone is fairly easy. Put the two together and you really got your hands full. It has to do with the timing relationship between the two. Try it some time.

2. People (Stars) usually sing their own stuff. They wrote it and perform it in a way that is natrual to them. Most don't play and sing during more difficult parts.

Like any thing else practice makes perfect. Break the song down and focus on parts that are givving you trouble. Listen for how the two parts go together, and look for ques to keep you on the right track.
# 4
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/15/2007 10:03 pm
Yea, its normal. I'm not much of a singer, but when I was starting out, it was impossible for me to sing along and jam at the same time. Now I'm a lot better at it, several BLS songs I can play and sing at the same time, and I can mimic Zakk's voice a lot better than say Lahio's or Matt Heafy.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
05/16/2007 12:33 am
it takes a bit of time, like others have said.

if you're playing just chords, then I find it very easy- you can play the chords in a way that it compliments your singing and makes it natural.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
05/16/2007 1:10 am
i had the same problem too but ive gotten over it..its singing while fingerpicking for me thats giving me a hard time...ive been doing alot of practie for tht too lately..its coming together..
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 7
Drew77
Drew77
05/16/2007 3:08 am
Yeah I have the same problem, even very simple stuff is impossible to sing while I'm playing. If I sing I usually just hit the chord to make sure I am in the right pitch let it ring and try to keep the right changes at the right time. I am getting a little better and I can almost play and sing "Something in the Way" by Nirvana... two different chords, not hardly any strumming and I can't really get it perfect yet. So yeah I have the same problem, I too cannot talk when Im playing its funny I literally can't do both so if I start playing I stop talking even if Im in the middle of a sentence, my brain will not allow both.

But this always makes me jealous...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u0ELcOSG4w

That guitar part is incredibly hard too I might add. I can't play it when I'm not trying to sing (Im not amazing at guitar but Im not crappy, Im decent) and I have been practicing it on and off for months. Im not sure Im playing it one hundred percent correct but I'm almost sure I've got it, but still cannot play it. He's a big fat jerk.
# 8
dvenetian
dvenetian
05/16/2007 8:23 am
I would suggest starting off with something easy like "Holy Wars...The Punishment Due"....... After you master that one, everything else will be a breeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brother will kill Brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand

Good luck!!!!!!
# 9
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
05/16/2007 8:35 am
I find that with guitar, one can generally only concentrate on no more than two things at once. If you aren't singing, you are free to concentrate on both your strumming and your left hand. The trick to singing whilst playing is not having to consciously think about strumming with your right hand. Of course it just takes time and practice to develop rhythm in your right hand to a point where you don't have to actively think about it while playing
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 10
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
05/16/2007 10:31 am
I can't do both at the same time for peanuts either... you're definitely not alone. But as the others have said, I presume it's a matter of co-ordination, just like using your left hand in conjunction with your right on the guitar - you're just throwing in another ball to juggle.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 11
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
05/16/2007 2:47 pm
Im kinda shocked at all the replys, Sayin how hard it is to play and sing I never really had a problem except on songs like Master of Puppets NOW that was hard!
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 12
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/16/2007 6:31 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEIm kinda shocked at all the replys, Sayin how hard it is to play and sing I never really had a problem except on songs like Master of Puppets NOW that was hard!

Im kind of shocked that your the only one who responded like that lol. I expected more people to say it was no problem. Good to know theres hope for me though.
# 13
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/26/2007 10:27 am
My style of music maybe easier to sing than some of those mentioned, but I haven't really had any trouble singing while playing. Of course when I am singing and playing in my basement by myself, I never make a mistake. It's when I have an audience that I screw up!

Seriously, I find singing while playing is just like singing along with the radio or a CD. The secret is knowing how to the play the song well enough without thinking about it. It's multi-tasking! Learning the song so your fingers automatically fall correctly and in time. I might add when learning a new song, a metronome is an absolute. You should take it slow until you fingers are accustom to the movements. Now you may still have some problems, but nothing like you guys have been talking about.

Of course, this is assuming you are playing in your key. Many songs performed by successful artists are out of my singing range. Then I have to change key, which means you may not be able to play the song as you may view it on YouTube. And in some songs the artist will change key in the middle of the song. I'll play in a different key or use a capo. In my style of music a capo is acceptable. I'm lazy, what do you expect?

There are some songs that are impossible to change the key to my singing range. It this case, I fake the chords. You don't have to do a song just like the orginal artist. You can make it your own. Of course, if you are performing on stage, the audience is expecting you to do the song just as they heard it on the radio. They are looking for that high note or for you to hold that note as long as the orginal artist. If they don't, they are disappointed.

A friend of mine wants to strike a note or chord with each syllable sung (or vise vesra). This is not correct in most songs. As hard and as long as I try, for the life of me, I cannot break him of this habit. I thought the metronome would do the trick, but no such luck. If anyone as any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Just a few words of wisdom, more words than wisdom.
# 14
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/26/2007 8:44 pm
Man... I don't know what to say.
I've never had any problem singing and playing guitar at the same time.
It just comes naturally.... I play notes and chords on the guitar and randomly come up with lyrics and melodies to go along with em.
Maybe it just comes naturally to some people... like making up lyrics to songs I hear on TV like Star Trek or whatever..

sttng:

I've got a thing on my nose
and it smells just like cheese on top of toast.

I love the way it smells
Cause it smells like crusty cheese.
I love the way it stinks
Just like stinky chee hee hee hee heese....

And it smells just like cheese on top of toast...hohohohost......

©2007 K. Taylor / Schmange Music U.K. / Canada
All Rights Reserved. International Copyright Secured
Socan / ASCAP
# 15
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
10/26/2007 11:42 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorMan... I don't know what to say.
I've never had any problem singing and playing guitar at the same time.
It just comes naturally.... I play notes and chords on the guitar and randomly come up with lyrics and melodies to go along with em.
Maybe it just comes naturally to some people... like making up lyrics to songs I hear on TV like Star Trek or whatever..

sttng:

and it smells just like cheese on top of toast.

I love the way it smells
Cause it smells like crusty cheese.
I love the way it stinks
Just like stinky chee hee hee hee heese....

And it smells just like cheese on top of toast...hohohohost......

©2007 K. Taylor / Schmange Music U.K. / Canada
All Rights Reserved. International Copyright Secured
Socan / ASCAP

Yeah make you sure copyright that... that's gold - pure gold... :p
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 16
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
10/27/2007 1:15 am
Those lyrics remind me of that song by Zappa.. I think it's called "The Dangerous Kitchen".. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 17
looneytunes
looneytunes
10/27/2007 2:09 am
That song doesn't beat a song I wrote many years ago for the Merv Griffin Show, I know..Merv who?
Anyway the title was "Party Pooper". It's a doosey. I would post it, but it's so sad that I can get through without crying.

She's just a party pooper, but I love her all the same, although it became quiet a shock.
When I dated her from Christmas Eve to New Years,
And she pooped at every party on the block!

Or who about, "Cool Baby".

Oh, you're cool baby, sharp as a tack.
Oh, you're cool baby in your graduation formal with the eagle on the back!

Last but not least, "Drummer Stick".

Happy Thankgiving!
I got drumstick in my teeth, good-bye to the summer.
I wouldn't have a drumstick in my teeth, if I hadn't picked fight with the drummer!
# 18
guitar.au
guitar.au
10/27/2007 12:15 pm
Well, for the first time today I attempted to play and sing at the same time and after about five tries I got it.

I chose "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, just the basic chords. If you listen to the song all you have to do is strum down at a certain pace. It goes like this (found it on Google) - sorry I couldn't get the chords over the words properly. If I could use the
 tags or whatever I think this forum could be improved a lot.

Anyway, Google for it (print out the song with the chords in the correct positions) and give it a go! It's a great light song and easy to get strumming and singing to.

A E D A
We'll do it all, everything, on our own.
A E D A
We don't need, anything, or anyone.

A E
If I lay here, if I just lay here,
D A
Would you lie with me and, just forget the world.

A E D A
I don't quite know, how to say, how I feel
A E D A
Those three words, I said too much, but not enough.

A E
If I lay here, if I just lay here,
D A
Would you lie with me and, just forget the world.
A E
Forget what we're told, before we get too old,
D A
Show me a garden that's, bursting into life.

A E D A
Let's waste time, chasing cars, around our heads.
A E D A
I need your grace, to remind me, to find my own.

... and so on. You can find the whole thing on the 'net including tab stuff. But I can't do the tab stuff yet so I can't make any promises. ;)
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - A. Einstein
# 19
vaginasaurusrex
vaginasaurusrex
11/13/2007 1:04 am
ugh...

I have that exact same problem, where my strum count equals my syllable count...

in fact, songs that are formatted in that fashion are the only type I can sing while playing...it sucks...

somebody help
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.