View post (Am I just wierd, or is this normal?)

View thread

looneytunes
looneytunes
10/26/2007 10:27 am
My style of music maybe easier to sing than some of those mentioned, but I haven't really had any trouble singing while playing. Of course when I am singing and playing in my basement by myself, I never make a mistake. It's when I have an audience that I screw up!

Seriously, I find singing while playing is just like singing along with the radio or a CD. The secret is knowing how to the play the song well enough without thinking about it. It's multi-tasking! Learning the song so your fingers automatically fall correctly and in time. I might add when learning a new song, a metronome is an absolute. You should take it slow until you fingers are accustom to the movements. Now you may still have some problems, but nothing like you guys have been talking about.

Of course, this is assuming you are playing in your key. Many songs performed by successful artists are out of my singing range. Then I have to change key, which means you may not be able to play the song as you may view it on YouTube. And in some songs the artist will change key in the middle of the song. I'll play in a different key or use a capo. In my style of music a capo is acceptable. I'm lazy, what do you expect?

There are some songs that are impossible to change the key to my singing range. It this case, I fake the chords. You don't have to do a song just like the orginal artist. You can make it your own. Of course, if you are performing on stage, the audience is expecting you to do the song just as they heard it on the radio. They are looking for that high note or for you to hold that note as long as the orginal artist. If they don't, they are disappointed.

A friend of mine wants to strike a note or chord with each syllable sung (or vise vesra). This is not correct in most songs. As hard and as long as I try, for the life of me, I cannot break him of this habit. I thought the metronome would do the trick, but no such luck. If anyone as any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Just a few words of wisdom, more words than wisdom.