Quick ADD Survey

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/27/2007 9:58 pm
My name is John and I'm calling on behalf of......... just kidding, god I hate those calls. On a serious note, I'm doing a project in my Psych class and I choose ADD. Part of my research is a survey, so thats where you guys come in. Just a brief survey. If you want to discuss/debate this, please start a new thread so I don't have to sift, I only really need 1 post a person. If you don't want to answer a question for any reason, just skip it.

1. Do You know what Attention Deficiet Dissorder (ADD) is?

2. Were you or someone you know ever been diagnosed with having ADD? If so, what was your/their initial reaction?

3. Do you think ADD should be considered a disorder?

4. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD are socially different from the "norm."

5. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD should take their medications?, reguardless of the harmful internal side effects ( doctors tend to over-perscribe the dosage, forcing the escess of the drug directly through the liver.)

6. Do you think children diagnosed with ADD should be "forced" to learn (use of ritalin) topics in school due to their "dissorder?"

7. Do you think the inability to pay attention or gain interest in class is the teacher's fault or the dissorder's fault?

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you had a child who recently started school and was diagnosed with ADD, what do you think your reaction be?

Thanks and rep to anyone who gives their input. Feel free to explain your answers, but as I said, please don't debate anything in this thread.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 1
halo71
halo71
04/27/2007 11:50 pm
Hope this helps...

1. Yes
2. My daughter was diagnosed with inattentive ADD. I wasn't surprised at really. Her grades in school were slipping. She would lose interst in things really fast.
3. Not sure to tell the truth.
4. No, my daughter acted normal to everyone she met. In a social environment you would not know the difference in her. Just when it came to learning she was falling behind. She is 8 by the way.
5. Yes and no. While I have seen a tremendous difference in my daughter. I feel as though I am doping her up every morning just so she can make it through school. By the way, she takes Focalin.
6. No. There are other ways to accomplish this I think. It's not just a matter of the child having to adapt but the parents as well. They need to take an active roll in helping the child get through any issues they may be having.
7. A little of both. In my daughter's 1st grade I thought it was the teacher. Because I would go to class and sit in the back of the room, go on field trips with them etc. I noticed the teacher didn't really engage the student much at all. I chalked this up to a bad teacher. In 2nd grade she had one of the highest rated teachers in the county. When the teacher suggested there may be a problem is when I started having my daughter tested.
8. In my case, my daughter is a little young and may not realize really what is going on. Although she does know why she takes the medicine etc. And that it helps her concentrate more at school. The medicine she takes does not make her hyper or zone her out. If anything she is more outgoing now and social around other people and does not tend to be as shy as she once was. Maybe this medicine has helped with her self confidence?!?! I am not sure but for the time being it is working. Although I am concerned about long term effects.
# 2
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
04/28/2007 12:38 am
1: Yes
2: No
3: A disorder that requires meds ? No. A disorder in the sense of metal disorder ? No. A disorder of an unrulely (sp) child who needs attention or tag the family with the popular term of "disfuctional" Maybe. or my best answer to that would be with a question. "Is this child/adult being challenge enough to keep/ocupy his/her intrest ?"
4: No
5: See 3. I don't think ADD is a need for meds
6: no
7: More so the teachers. I've put 2 kids through shcool. I think teachers of today have a quick tendince (sp) to "give up" on a child mainly because of the lack of discipline allowed by the current laws in effect. They have no control so why bother if a child is a "Problem". This I beleive also reflects back on the parents, but again have little control with the laws in effect today. I have several friends that have their kids in private schools. You rarely hear of ADD in private school. There is a reason for this I beleive.
8: BS. Challenge him harder to keep his intrest in something he has interest in or make what he's learning interesting and a challenge.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, that was not my intention. I just don't really beleive in the ADD term and reasoning. I feel it's a why for phycs and docs to suck the system for more money by shooting meds down their throats. JMO, I speak my mind, please don't be offended.
Dan
# 3
GuitarJunkie23
Access: Full
GuitarJunkie23
Access: Full
04/28/2007 12:47 am
Yes.

2. Were you or someone you know ever been diagnosed with having ADD? If so, what was your/their initial reaction?
I haven't, i've had several friends though, one got really depressed when he was put on them, so they took him off and put him on something else, i'm not sure what.

No.

4. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD are socially different from the "norm."
No.
5. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD should take their medications?, reguardless of the harmful internal side effects ( doctors tend to over-perscribe the dosage, forcing the escess of the drug directly through the liver.)
No.

6. Do you think children diagnosed with ADD should be "forced" to learn (use of ritalin) topics in school due to their "dissorder?"
No.

7. Do you think the inability to pay attention or gain interest in class is the teacher's fault or the dissorder's fault?

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you had a child who recently started school and was diagnosed with ADD, what do you think your reaction be?
I would be upset, because I think ADD is BS.

I'm not sure if i'm the right canidate for taking the survey, since I think ADD is useless... But, I skiped 7 because, i'm not sure it would be the teachers fault, and I don't think ADD would.. so Neither, would be my answer.
[FONT=tahoma]Jimmie Page is my Hero.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." Timothy Leary[/FONT]
# 4
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
04/28/2007 1:36 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccMy name is John and I'm calling on behalf of......... just kidding, god I hate those calls. On a serious note, I'm doing a project in my Psych class and I choose ADD. Part of my research is a survey, so thats where you guys come in. Just a brief survey. If you want to discuss/debate this, please start a new thread so I don't have to sift, I only really need 1 post a person. If you don't want to answer a question for any reason, just skip it.

Thanks and rep to anyone who gives their input. Feel free to explain your answers, but as I said, please don't debate anything in this thread.

Ahhh ADD...

1. Yes sir

2. No sir, altho i think i might be developing it myself ( :eek: ha i blame the results ive been getting)

3. Seeing that chronic casese could lead to a lack of functioning towards the person and its neurological defects in nature, i would say it is a disorder.

4. They are sick...people get sick all the time..they just need help.

5. Drug use should be monitored closely by the doctor. This should include having talks with the patient and not just shoving heaps of drugs down their throats.

6. They should be given extra assistance when it comes to education but i will disagree with the use of force.

7. I would blame the disorder. However, teachers must have good background knowledge of the disorder too in order to understand why certain children are behaving this way.

8. I would be worried as hell but i will be fully prepared to assist my children by then.

I myself am currently in a psych degree and this is interesting. alrighty then creta hope my input helped buddy... :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/28/2007 2:16 am

YES

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

TEACHER

I'D CHANGE SCHOOLS
# 6
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/28/2007 2:35 am
YES

SOMEONE I KNOW. SHE ALREADY KNEW SHE HAD IT WHEN I FOUND OUT. I WASN'T SUPRISED.

IF PEOPLE WISH THEY DIDN'T LIVE WITH IT, YES.

NO

NOT IF ITS DANGEROUS

ITS THE WAY HE/SHE IS. ID LEARN TO LIVE WITH IT.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 7
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
04/28/2007 3:57 am
Yes

Yes - My oldest son has been, and now my youngest son is being trialed for diagnosis now.

3. Do you think ADD should be considered a disorder? Yes - if it would mean that resources would be available for children in school.

4. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD are socially different from the "norm." It would depend on the age of the child...

5. Do you think people who are diagnosed with ADD should take their medications?, reguardless of the harmful internal side effects ( doctors tend to over-perscribe the dosage, forcing the escess of the drug directly through the liver.) Hard question to answer... like with any treatment you have to way the benefit against the side affects.

6. Do you think children diagnosed with ADD should be "forced" to learn (use of ritalin) topics in school due to their "dissorder?" Medications will not force anyone to learn.. it gives them the mental stability to focus and take in information, whether the child wants to learn or not is still in their hands.

7. Do you think the inability to pay attention or gain interest in class is the teacher's fault or the dissorder's fault? Could be both

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you had a child who recently started school and was diagnosed with ADD, what do you think your reaction be? Been there done that... it is upsetting that your child has difficulties in school and it becomes a negative experience for them. However once you see the results of medication and that it is in fact helping them to be more comfortable participating in school and to be accepted by their peers... you make the sacrifice. Medication doesn't solve the problem... you still have to take a different approach in teaching them about every aspect of their life. From how you help them organize their day, to how you carry on a conversation with them. parents need to learn too... this isn't a fake disorder... it really affects every aspect of a family's life.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 8
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/28/2007 4:56 am
Great input guys, highly appreciated.

I figured I would give my own input for any curiousity.

1. I hope so, I'm donig the dam project.

2. Yes, my brother when he was fairly young. My parents told the school to kiss off, now my brother is in line to take over my dad's company when the time comes.

3. No. I believe if parents paid more attention to thier kids, took away their video games and took part in their school work, ADD wouldn't exist. Doctors can diagnose metal dissorders while the babies are still unborn, yet ADD doesn't take effect untill around the age of 8.

4. No, becuase everyone brings something different to the table.

5. No, I think the medication is uneeded and is harmful in the long run. Also, I believe that it takes away the child's personality. I talked to a friend of mine since he used to take ritalin. He said he felt like a drone and stopped taking it few months back. He's one of the most particapating people in the class.

6. No. I believe that they're not learning becuase its simply not interesting or the teacher isn't making it interesting. In 9th grade I had World History which had a big focus on WWI, II, the Cold War and such which I take a lot of intrest in. I aced that class and probably particapated the most. Then in 11th grade I had US. History, talk about boring, I don't think I ever raised my hand in that class.

7. The teachers and parents.

8. I'd have a chat with the school principle as well as my doctor (who I would start to doubt.) I'd also be suprised at myself for letting it get like that.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 9
defwad7
defwad7
04/28/2007 3:03 pm
1. Yes.

2. Yes. My cousin was diagnosed when he was around 10 years old. I initially felt bad for him and thought his parents just wanted a quick solution to his bad behavior.

3. No.

4. No. I think they simply haven't learned the value in concentration.

5. No. I think a better solution would be to teach these people breathing and meditation exercises. This would help them to focus as effectively, if not better, than with medication. Also there would only positive side-effects.

6. I don't really understand this question, but you shouldn't force someone to take medication so they can concentrate in school. See #5.

7. I think it is mostly the person's fault. It takes effort to concentrate and focus, and if someone makes a habit of not doing that for long enough, it could turn into a disorder.

8. I would have to think long and hard about this because i really don't believe ADD is a disorder. I think it is simply a habit of not concentrating. But, i suppose my reaction would be to get my child involved in things other than TV and video games. I would encourage them to play outside, or start playing music! That's a great exercise in concentration!
# 10
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/29/2007 1:36 am
Meh I think everyone could benefit from the use of aderol.

# 11
ravenx495
ravenx495
04/30/2007 1:16 am
1. Yes
2. Yes, my friend. He didn't really care.
3. Don't know enough about ADD to answer.
4. No
5. Yes
6. No
7. Both
8. I would not overreact even if child got bad grades in school. I would talk to the teacher and convince her to try to keep my child focused on schoolwork.

Your welcome!
Like a phoenix rising from the flames...

...so shall the epic journey unfold as we discover our ancient future and craft legends through fire and flight.

This is a night of trance...
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/30/2007 5:03 pm
This combined with the results from other forums is enough, thanks for you help guys.

Myspace
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.