Problems with starting band...

Kasperow
Kasperow
09/02/2014 7:27 pm
So, my attempts at starting a band are finally starting to pay off. In fact, right now I have 3 different musicians lined up, all of whom are pretty good at their instruments (that is, they're at a level similar to my own). However, there is a small problem with their instruments. One of them is a drummer. No problem there. Another is a bassist, and again, no problem there... The third is a bassist who can also play guitar and drums but would prefer to stay on Bass. How the hell do I handle that kind of situation in a polite and peaceful manner? I really want the second bassist in my band, but the first bassist is just a bit better (although also less mature...) and he's also a pretty cool guy.

So the best solution I can think of might be to politely ask the second bassist if he could play guitar and then we'll find some way to split the guitar parts between us. Are there any other, better solutions that don't involve making either bassist hate me more than necessary?

The drummer and I are pretty much set in stone. He'll be playing drums, I'll play Lead Guitar on some songs, Rhythm Guitar on some songs and Piano/Keyboards on some songs (unless we end up with a single guitar. Then it's just me on guitar and piano...). But how to handle the two bassists who are both equally interested in starting a band and who both want to play bass just seems impossible to figure out... Any advice on how to deal with this situation? Anyone been here before?
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
09/02/2014 8:06 pm
This is an interesting situation. Normally you'll find yourself asking a guitar player to play bass because you just can't find a bass player!!

From my experience, drums and bass are the hardest slots to fill, so things are good there.

If the second bass player doesn't agree with taking on guitar duties, do everything you can to leave things on a positive note...because you may find yourself calling him to be your bass player if things with the current one don't work out. You just never know what the future holds.

Be up front and don't lie to anybody. They'll understand that a band doesn't need 2 bass players. You may have to explain why you perfer one bass player over the other - that could be tricky. I know of bands that will switch out personnel based on availability. You might need to be more established for that to work.

Maybe somebody with more experience can chime in...
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
09/03/2014 2:10 am
Start with who the drummer connects best with! Maturity is big also. This band thing takes a while before a group gets enough songs down well enough to start gigging. Some donā€™t get them down well enough to get invited back. A drummer and bass player need to enjoy each otherā€™s company and agree on a lot of things. No one person is more important in a band, but you just canā€™t get that earthy make your feet want to move beat if those two are not in sync. That is my advice choosing either a bass or drummer.

Another angle for choosing a band mate, everyone makes a list of 50 or so songs they can play and/or want to learn to play. Compare lists, choose the person who shares the most amount of songs with the group. Simple, no one should walk away with hard feelings. Not what I suggest.

The only easy part about being in a band is after you play a song and the crowd whistles and claps. You get to enjoy it, That................... is easy.
# 3
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/03/2014 3:36 pm
For the sake of making things a bit easier, let's just call the two bassists "Bob and Joe". It'll hopefully be less confusing than referring to them as "the first bassist" ("Bob") and "the second bassist" ("Joe")or by their real names (because their first name is the exact same... go figure).

Originally Posted by: maggiorThis is an interesting situation. Normally you'll find yourself asking a guitar player to play bass because you just can't find a bass player!!

From my experience, drums and bass are the hardest slots to fill, so things are good there.

If the second bass player doesn't agree with taking on guitar duties, do everything you can to leave things on a positive note...because you may find yourself calling him to be your bass player if things with the current one don't work out. You just never know what the future holds.

Be up front and don't lie to anybody. They'll understand that a band doesn't need 2 bass players. You may have to explain why you perfer one bass player over the other - that could be tricky. I know of bands that will switch out personnel based on availability. You might need to be more established for that to work.

Maybe somebody with more experience can chime in...[/QUOTE]
Actually, the second bassist, from now on referred to as "Joe", is the one I'd prefer to have in the band. I've played with him a while ago, and despite claiming to only have played for a few months back then, he was a badass on Bass. I'd rather let "Bob" down, to be honest, since he seems to be on a completely different page than the drummer, "Joe" and myself. "Bob" has only expressed interest in playing covers of 90's/00's Grunge and Punk Rock, while the rest of us are interested in playing some good old-fashioned Arena Rock (although our main influences vary amongst us. "Joe" is more The Who, Kiss and Led Zep, while I'm more GNR, Aerosmith and Deep Purple. But our styles are very compatible).

Of course, it would be awesome to have a two-guitar lineup, but I'd rather have a band that plays well together than trying to force someone to play something else than their main instrument and having a bassist who's on the wrong page, if that makes any sense...

[QUOTE=haghj500]Start with who the drummer connects best with! Maturity is big also. This band thing takes a while before a group gets enough songs down well enough to start gigging. Some donā€™t get them down well enough to get invited back. A drummer and bass player need to enjoy each otherā€™s company and agree on a lot of things. No one person is more important in a band, but you just canā€™t get that earthy make your feet want to move beat if those two are not in sync. That is my advice choosing either a bass or drummer.

Another angle for choosing a band mate, everyone makes a list of 50 or so songs they can play and/or want to learn to play. Compare lists, choose the person who shares the most amount of songs with the group. Simple, no one should walk away with hard feelings. Not what I suggest.

The only easy part about being in a band is after you play a song and the crowd whistles and claps. You get to enjoy it, That................... is easy.

So, somehow manage to get all 4 of us into a room and find out who the drummer would prefer? I definitely agree that maturity is important, so once again, "Joe" gets points while "Bob" doesn't. Yes, playing in a band is supposed to be fun and all, but just because people are mature, it doesn't mean they can't have fun, right?

I don't really like the idea of having people write their own lists. I think it'll be just as efficient, if not more efficient, to do a brainstorm while we're in the rehearsal-room. I know some people will disagree, but this is my opinion. I've found that brainstorming over this kind of stuff can inspire people to throw out suggestions (especially since everyone is bound to forget about some songs or bands they'd like to learn to play).
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 4
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
09/03/2014 5:05 pm
Does Joe know that there is a Bob on the horizon, and vice versa? Personally if I was a bassist and I showed up to the first band practice, only to be confronted by another bassist, I'd be pretty upset!! I'd be even more upset if I then had to be judged by the drummer. My advice is that you should make a decision about one of the guys and go with him, for better or worse. It sounds like you already prefer one so what's the problem? Sometimes you have to be decisive for a band to succeed. Good luck, Steve
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/03/2014 5:36 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowDoes Joe know that there is a Bob on the horizon, and vice versa? Personally if I was a bassist and I showed up to the first band practice, only to be confronted by another bassist, I'd be pretty upset!! I'd be even more upset if I then had to be judged by the drummer. My advice is that you should make a decision about one of the guys and go with him, for better or worse. It sounds like you already prefer one so what's the problem? Sometimes you have to be decisive for a band to succeed. Good luck, Steve

Cool, thanks. You make a very good point, actually. At the moment, I'm the only one who knows about both bassists. The drummer only knows about Joe, and both Joe and Bob know about the drummer but not eachother. I believe I should have been able to figure this out myself, but sometimes, it just helps to hear it from others (or in this case, read it). I think my preference has been made pretty clear, so I'll just go with him, and hope things work out between the three of us.

Thanks, man :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
maggior
maggior
09/03/2014 8:53 pm
Sounds like a plan. Just be sure to leave things on a positive note with Bob. You never know when your paths will cross again...which is likely since musicians tend to hang out with eachother. And if you find yourself needing a bass player in the future for whatever reason, he may be your guy.
# 7
haghj500
haghj500
09/04/2014 4:11 am
ā€œSo, somehow manage to get all 4 of us into a room and find out who the drummer would prefer?ā€

No, I was more thinking that the drummer and you would jam with both of them. With you two being the core of the band, the two of you would decide on which one to go with. Being in the same room you would see/hear which one he connected with best. Agree with him when he suggests one.

ā€œYes, playing in a band is supposed to be fun and all, but just because people are mature, it doesn't mean they can't have fun, right?ā€

Yes, being in a band is both exhilarating and a drag depending on the moment. The point I was getting to is, there is a lot of hard decision along the way. I had a lot of experiences I will hopefully never forget. I hope you have similar as well. But itā€™s a bad feeling to start seeing the bass and drummer start getting mad every time the other speaks. It wonā€™t be long before one of them leaves and you have to start all over again. That is a drag.

ā€œI don't really like the idea of having people write their own lists. I think it'll be just as efficient, if not more efficient, to do a brainstorm while we're in the rehearsal-roomā€

I canā€™t argue with your words above. I was trying to come up with a simple way to not have anyone make a decision, yet someone would have to leave. No hard feelings kind of thing.

It will be interesting to watch how all this develops, I look forward to it.
# 8
maggior
maggior
09/04/2014 1:05 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500I don't really like the idea of having people write their own lists. I think it'll be just as efficient, if not more efficient, to do a brainstorm while we're in the rehearsal-room

I canā€™t argue with your words above. I was trying to come up with a simple way to not have anyone make a decision, yet someone would have to leave. No hard feelings kind of thing.

You both know my story and how I tried to have everybody come up with a list of songs. It just never happened. What has worked is hanging out after rehearsal in the parking lot and brainstorming songs with our phones/tablets in our hands. We'd play our suggestions on our phone or tablet for the other people to hear. Many times you'll know a song by hearing it, not by name.

In my mind, this isn't a very efficient way of doing it. However, it works with this group of people, so whatever :-). So far we always have 2 or 3 songs that are "works in progress" and new ideas keep coming forth. As long as that keeps happening, I really don't care how it happens.

So, some of this you'll just have to feel out and see what works.
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/04/2014 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500ā€œSo, somehow manage to get all 4 of us into a room and find out who the drummer would prefer?ā€

No, I was more thinking that the drummer and you would jam with both of them. With you two being the core of the band, the two of you would decide on which one to go with. Being in the same room you would see/hear which one he connected with best. Agree with him when he suggests one.[/QUOTE]
Oh. Well, in that case, we could easily start right away with the one I wouldn't prefer. My favorite is currently on vacation, while the other isn't, so we might as well begin with the one who's in the country and then when the other comes back, we can try out my favorite out of the two :)

Originally Posted by: haghj500ā€œI don't really like the idea of having people write their own lists. I think it'll be just as efficient, if not more efficient, to do a brainstorm while we're in the rehearsal-roomā€

I'll make sure to keep you posted, then :) I hope things turn out well between us, even if we don't go with my favorite of the two bassists.

[QUOTE=maggior]You both know my story and how I tried to have everybody come up with a list of songs. It just never happened. What has worked is hanging out after rehearsal in the parking lot and brainstorming songs with our phones/tablets in our hands. We'd play our suggestions on our phone or tablet for the other people to hear. Many times you'll know a song by hearing it, not by name.

In my mind, this isn't a very efficient way of doing it. However, it works with this group of people, so whatever :-). So far we always have 2 or 3 songs that are "works in progress" and new ideas keep coming forth. As long as that keeps happening, I really don't care how it happens.

So, some of this you'll just have to feel out and see what works.

I can't even begin to count how many times that has happened to me... I can know a song's title, but just not know how the song actually goes, or on the other hand, know how a song goes from start to finish but have no clue about the song's title...

I'm not really sure if brain-storming will be efficient, but it's really the best idea I could come up with for selecting songs. And I agree with you. It really doesn't matter how the ideas come about (whether for covers or original songs, really), as long as they come. To begin with, we just need something to play, so it doesn't matter how we come up with the ideas for those songs. We can always get rid of some of the songs later, when we get a bigger, more impressive repertoire.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 10
maggior
maggior
09/04/2014 3:31 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowTo begin with, we just need something to play, so it doesn't matter how we come up with the ideas for those songs. We can always get rid of some of the songs later, when we get a bigger, more impressive repertoire.

That's the key right there! It's going to take time to build up your repertoire, so you don't need to forumlate your list immediately. As long as you have enough of it laid out that you ahve stuff to play and work on, you are fine.
# 11
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/04/2014 4:20 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorThat's the key right there! It's going to take time to build up your repertoire, so you don't need to forumlate your list immediately. As long as you have enough of it laid out that you ahve stuff to play and work on, you are fine.

Yeah, it's not something we can do in a couple of weeks. One of the bassists and I already have one song we can both play so that would be a good place to start... It's not overly complex, no really exciting guitar parts until the solo which runs underneath the repeating chorus, but it's still a beginning (and it's played frequently enough on the radio to be called a crowd-pleaser). If we can get the drummer on-board on that song, we'll have the first song in our repertoire. Shouldn't be that hard, since it's right up his alley as well. We won't know until we try, right?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
09/07/2014 4:22 pm
Well, good-ish news. The drummer just contacted me, and said that we'll most likely know tomorrow whether or not we can use the music room at the school he works at. We're obviously hoping that we'll get a "yes" from the guy in charge of the music room. I'll let you guys know as soon as I hear from the drummer. If we can't use this well-equipped music room, we'll have to find another option...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.