View post (Problems with starting band...)

View thread

Kasperow
Kasperow
09/04/2014 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500“So, somehow manage to get all 4 of us into a room and find out who the drummer would prefer?”

No, I was more thinking that the drummer and you would jam with both of them. With you two being the core of the band, the two of you would decide on which one to go with. Being in the same room you would see/hear which one he connected with best. Agree with him when he suggests one.[/QUOTE]
Oh. Well, in that case, we could easily start right away with the one I wouldn't prefer. My favorite is currently on vacation, while the other isn't, so we might as well begin with the one who's in the country and then when the other comes back, we can try out my favorite out of the two :)

Originally Posted by: haghj500“I don't really like the idea of having people write their own lists. I think it'll be just as efficient, if not more efficient, to do a brainstorm while we're in the rehearsal-room”

I can’t argue with your words above. I was trying to come up with a simple way to not have anyone make a decision, yet someone would have to leave. No hard feelings kind of thing.

It will be interesting to watch how all this develops, I look forward to it.

I'll make sure to keep you posted, then :) I hope things turn out well between us, even if we don't go with my favorite of the two bassists.

[QUOTE=maggior]You both know my story and how I tried to have everybody come up with a list of songs. It just never happened. What has worked is hanging out after rehearsal in the parking lot and brainstorming songs with our phones/tablets in our hands. We'd play our suggestions on our phone or tablet for the other people to hear. Many times you'll know a song by hearing it, not by name.

In my mind, this isn't a very efficient way of doing it. However, it works with this group of people, so whatever :-). So far we always have 2 or 3 songs that are "works in progress" and new ideas keep coming forth. As long as that keeps happening, I really don't care how it happens.

So, some of this you'll just have to feel out and see what works.

I can't even begin to count how many times that has happened to me... I can know a song's title, but just not know how the song actually goes, or on the other hand, know how a song goes from start to finish but have no clue about the song's title...

I'm not really sure if brain-storming will be efficient, but it's really the best idea I could come up with for selecting songs. And I agree with you. It really doesn't matter how the ideas come about (whether for covers or original songs, really), as long as they come. To begin with, we just need something to play, so it doesn't matter how we come up with the ideas for those songs. We can always get rid of some of the songs later, when we get a bigger, more impressive repertoire.
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...