PRS Recommendations

maggior
maggior
02/24/2014 8:24 pm
So now that I'm playing with other people on a regular basis, I'm finding that my Les Paul faded studio is letting me down. It's always been finicky about staying in tune. Graphite on the nut after my last string change helped this, but not 100%. Being part of the faded series, the neck and fretboard are rough. Normally I'm not bothered by this, but now that I'm playing it a lot, I find I miss the very refined feel of my strat with its smooth maple neck and fretboard.

I love les pauls, but to get something that isn't a studio or a cheaper model is really a lot of money. So, as much as I'd love a "real" les paul, I thought I'd invistigate some alternatives.

So I was looking at some PRS models (S2) that are $1200 to $1400. Most of the models have a trem system which I'd rather not have. I have my trem locked down on my strat. Is the trem on the PRS finicky like the strat? Is the S2 line Made in America? Are these a good value? Should I consider another line when considering PRS?

If I get serious, I know I have to go to the store and try some out. But I want to narrow things down a bit before I go there. I know the Fender and Gibson lines pretty well...I know nothing about PRS.

You might ask why I don't just play my strat? I like the tonal variety I get having a guitar with single coils and another with humbuckers.
# 1
markm0926
markm0926
02/25/2014 12:09 am
I was researching the PRS S2 line recently. They are made in the USA. Reviews were hot and cold. I didn't think for the price they were a good deal.

I would take a look at the Gibson SG. 12 to 14 hundred and you are looking at a top of the line model. Great humbucker tone, light weight and awesome playability. I believe the newer models have split coil humbucker so you can play single coil or humbucker.
Main Gear: Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul Sig T, Martin Acoustic, Mesa 5:25+, Orange OR15, Carl Martin Quattro
# 2
fretsmith
fretsmith
02/25/2014 1:42 am
Hi Maggior - Yeah, PRS are some nice guitars. I checked out the S2's and they're nice but not appreciably nicer than an SE for Hundred$ less. I have 2 SE's, for me they are a nice guitar.

If you can ( I don't know how big your home market is ) check out GODIN guitars. Made in North America. I fell in love with them a few years back and have a few now. I'm in the process right now of lightening the herd to finance a Godin Icon Convertible. Humbuckers, single coil rails, and P90's all on one guitar. Plus a "High Def Revoicer" feature that gives each type of pickup an active PU sound/eq. Amazing necks on Godins. ( no, I'm not a stockholder:) ... Not a lot of "ego" what with the unfamiliar name and all ( pronounced "Go-Dan" by-the-way) but truly a great guitar at a very attractive price point.

If your town has a dealer, indulge me, try some out and tell me what you think.
# 3
maggior
maggior
02/25/2014 3:39 am
I did a bit of reading after my post and I've seen the discussions you guys refer too. Lot of questions on the value of the S2 over the SE models that cost much less.

The instructor Hanspeter plays a Godin as I recall. I saw him using it for a metal tutorial and a blues one. Seems to be quite a versatile guitar. My acoustic is a Seagull, which is associated with Godin. Very good guitar for the money! I'll check that out.

It's funny because when it was just me messin' about in my basement, I was more about the brand wow factor. Now that I'm involved in a band, I'm looking more toward playability and tone...whatever the brand. My les paul is ripping my finger tips to hell practicing "hard to handle" with all of the bends in the solo. The friction of the rough fingerboard is really starting to get on my nerves.

Thanks for the input guys!!
# 4
maggior
maggior
02/25/2014 3:56 am
Fretsmith - what are your thoughts on the Summit CT. It's less than $1,000 US. It has a fixed bridge, which is what I want. Others I've been looking at have a tremolo system.

At the price, it seems too good to be true :-). Unfortunately not in stock in any guitar centers around me.

Looking at the Icon convertible. Wow, what a deal at $1400! Seems like a very versatile guitar. None in the stores either...:-(
# 5
fretsmith
fretsmith
02/25/2014 6:04 am
Hi Maggior; Can't say I've played a Summit but I'm tempted to endorse it simply on the first rate experiences I've had with other Godin's. $1000 isn't a promotional price point for Godin ( like it is with Gibson ). You can expect premium flame tops, quality tuners,electronics, and PICKUPS.

It's tough to shop a line that's not well represented at the retail level. I have several major markets within a few hours from me (Orlando/Jacksonville/Tampa) so several times a year I'll pack up the wagon and just go shopping, including the independent stores ( which is where I get to see and try a lot of the perimeter brands you just won't see at Guitar Center/Sam Ash )

I should have my ICON in 2-3 weeks ( I am going to buy new which I very rarely do but I'm pretty sure I will keep this particular guitar forever ) and after I've played it a few months I'll prepare a review. Good luck with your own shopping - there certainly are a ton of nice guitars available - I guess it just boils down to knowing what you like. T-Care ((PS- you're right; Seagull and Godin are one in the same ... they also make Richmond and Art & Lutherie ))
# 6

03/05/2014 2:59 pm
Hey maggior,PRS GUITARS ARE GREAT.AS YOU KNOW IAM A HUGE FAN.BUT IT MAY OR MAY NOT BE FOR EVERYONE.I WOULD LOVE TOO TELL YA YEAH GO WITH PRS. AND THAT WOULD BE WRONG,U REALLY HAVE TO LAY HANDS ON SOME OF THE DIFFERENT MODELS THAT THEY HAVE...I LIKE USA MODELS.YEAH THERE COSTLY,BUT TO ME THERE WORTH EVERY PENNY.AND PTC (pauls tech center),there awsome.they fixed alittle chip i had on my prs,not only did they fix it ,they sprayed the whole Guitar,back and front.it came back lookin brand new. No charge.second time around i had a problem with the trem,the knife point had slipped,sent it to ptc,now they fixed the trem ,and did a complete setup on it. it came back playing better then ever.these guys are the best imo. The S2,is a strip down of the custom 24. To make it alittle more affordable.not saying there bad,i never played the S2.but wouldn't mine too.and the SE models are pretty good,well built..versatile,easy bending.i always liked the Navarro,its a SE custome 24,see you caint buy a white SE,unless its the Navarro,same Guitar different name.has push pull knob,which splits the hum,into a single coil.it feels so good to play.best of luck.oh wait MF,has the tremonti SE ,FOR $559,stoptail bridge.each pickup has its own tone and volume knobs.colors,vintage cherry,or black.peace.
# 7

03/05/2014 3:26 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNiTyA371D8
# 8

03/05/2014 3:37 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVGDMHEsPuY
# 9

03/05/2014 3:45 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv4YL1dgzRc
just throwin some at ya maggior.but like i said u need to put one in your hands,and u be the judge.my bet u wont put it down.lol enjoy shopping...
this one is $559 @ MF.
# 10
maggior
maggior
03/05/2014 3:51 pm
Thanks for the info Axe. I knew you'd chime in eventually being the PRS guy that you are!

Once things settle down with the band and I figure out if this project has the legs to continue, I'll have to make some time to head out to a guitar store and get my hands on some of these. In my reading, I have read that they aren't for everybody like you said. A couple of my favorite musicians (Al DiMeola and Steve Wilson) play them, so they can't be bad :-).

My stripped down no frills les paul is good for the "studio" if I need some les paul tones, but it's just not up to the task of gigging and I can't see putting money in upgrades into it. If I find something I really like, I'll have to decide if I sell my lp to help fund the new guitar or keep it.

I'll keep you posted and let you know if I have any questions. I know a lot more now than I did the last time I went guitar shopping, so it should be interesting.
# 11

03/05/2014 4:11 pm
for me i think the ps2 is up my alley.american made,locking tuners ect.and half the cost of the one i once had the custom 24.the problem with me is,i change my mind from moment to moment,as far as which prs i will end up with.thats why iam takeing my time on buying a guitar.but i do like the S2, and 408.big difference in cost.i just bought a new dist pedal satcharator and a vox classic rock amp plug in,i think there great.i have a one year old daughter,so its hard for me to plug into my amp ,and play.so with this thing here i can watch her plug that little guy into my guitar,headphones into the little guy and there you go,ur playin.i hear they sound great clean to overdrive,3eq,u can plug in a cd,mp3 to it and jam along.its great too if ur in a band,say u show up to band practice.well you go plug in the vox have a seat anywere and warm up,or go over stuff.yeah u can play ur electric guitar acoustically.but useing the vox plug in,u get a better sence of sound.DAMM IT I SOUND LIKE A SALESMEN,SOMEONE HELP PLS.i'll let you know how i like the satcharator dist pedal,will it give me joes sound of course not,but it should be cool.and i think you caint go wrong with any vox plug in,they have so many,classic rock,satriani tone,metal,just clean tone,night train,ac/30 the list goes on.very gratfull to my good friend brandon,for loaning me one of guitars.with out his help i would be guitarless.
# 12
maggior
maggior
03/05/2014 4:58 pm
Take your time. Buying a guitar is a big investment and a big decision.

That's cool that you got a setup where you can practice and watch your daughter at the same time.

When she gets bigger, hopefully she'll inherit your passion for music and the guitar. My daughter wanted a guitar for her 9th birthday last year so she could become the next Taylor Swift. She was enthusiastic until she realized how much work it involved. I hope she'll come around eventually. I end up playing it while I'm helping put the kids to bed. It annoys my wife sometimes because the kids will start wandering and not doing what they are supposed to do and I'm lost in some music I'm playing. I also have 2 sons that are 5 and 7. There's still hope for another guitar player in the family:-). They all love music, so I think eventually they will develop an interest in an instrument.
# 13

03/06/2014 3:19 am
idea for ya maggior,if u hadent tried it yet.
play some of her favorite songs for here,idk taylor swift she likes or whatever she digs,play it in front of here,ya know something easy not to hard.one never knows.the funny thing is i caint go in my room and play one the sound would hurt her ears,two she is into everthing tearing up books i have ect.but the funniest one of all ,she wont let me play wether its in my room,or liveing room.what she does is this,when ever she sees playin,or even if iam not playin,iam just sitting on the couch with a guitar in my hand,as soon as she lays eyes on the guitar or hears me playin ,either way she will come running up to me and start touching the strings basicaly touch all of it that she can reach.so i find myself at times its hard to play in front of her for now.when she turns 2 maybe she will just sit and listen.anyway if i go get my fender bar stoole iam good,she caint reach it.but like i was saying it sucks playin an electric with out an amp.so iam keeping my fingers crossed on the vox plug in.i would love to get the red one that says its satrianis sound.that one is $50.what is it with satrianiand the color red...
# 14
maggior
maggior
03/06/2014 1:25 pm
Hey Axe -

Yeah, I tried that already. That was what sort of got her fired up about it. It's not really my bag as far as music goes, but music is music and it was fun to play along. I even gave her simplified one-finger chords to get her going playing one of the songs. When she realized it was nowhere as easy as I made it look, she lost interest.

The way I look at it, the guitar is there in her room as an opprotunity for whenver she decides to pick it up. If she never does, it's OK...but there's still hope!

My kids did the same thing when they were little...they just LOVE to touch the strings. They got a huge kick out of using my wah pedal while I played - they thought that was the coolest thing ever!!
# 15

03/07/2014 1:27 am
ur exactly right maggior,at that age,she is in everything.i seen these replica guitars on ebay,like SRV,EHV ECT.there not playable,but damm they look awsome.and it comes with a strap and a guitar stand,all for $20 .so i wanted to buy two and hang them in my daughters room ,were its out of reach.i thought that would spice her room up.what one year old girl has guitars hanging on there wall.but of course mama steps in and lays down the lay ,so it was a know go.i thought it would look cool ,and it will leave an inprint.oh well.this guys has all the big name players,pink floyed guitar was really cool,a/c d/c...he says there collectables,but what isent..peace.
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.