View post (PRS Recommendations)

View thread

maggior
maggior
02/24/2014 8:24 pm
So now that I'm playing with other people on a regular basis, I'm finding that my Les Paul faded studio is letting me down. It's always been finicky about staying in tune. Graphite on the nut after my last string change helped this, but not 100%. Being part of the faded series, the neck and fretboard are rough. Normally I'm not bothered by this, but now that I'm playing it a lot, I find I miss the very refined feel of my strat with its smooth maple neck and fretboard.

I love les pauls, but to get something that isn't a studio or a cheaper model is really a lot of money. So, as much as I'd love a "real" les paul, I thought I'd invistigate some alternatives.

So I was looking at some PRS models (S2) that are $1200 to $1400. Most of the models have a trem system which I'd rather not have. I have my trem locked down on my strat. Is the trem on the PRS finicky like the strat? Is the S2 line Made in America? Are these a good value? Should I consider another line when considering PRS?

If I get serious, I know I have to go to the store and try some out. But I want to narrow things down a bit before I go there. I know the Fender and Gibson lines pretty well...I know nothing about PRS.

You might ask why I don't just play my strat? I like the tonal variety I get having a guitar with single coils and another with humbuckers.