ugh I need a gig amp badly

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/20/2005 10:02 pm
trying to play a gig with a 15 watt practice amp is no fun! trust me, I can barely hear myself and I'm standing right in front of my amp. the people in the back of the room definately can't hear me, and I'm being drowned out by the acoustic to my right, the acoustic to my left, the acoustic behind me, and the bass kinda behind me and to the left... interesting band I know, but trying to fit that many people on that stage is hard. anyways! I need a gig amp. and as much as I would love a marshall half stack, or a mesa boogie, I kinda can't afford one. I saw this one amp on musicians friend, here, it didn't get a single bad review, and it seems really good for the price, but I just randomly saw it, I don't have my heart set on it. please please recommend some amps in the 100-200 watt range, preferablly with more than one speaker, combo or half stack, it doesn't need to have effects, I'll be running my effects peddle through it. I just need more VOLUME, but I don't want to get something with crappy tone either, it doesn't need to be the best of the best tone, just not crap. I'd like to stay under $250 if at all possible, I may be able to stretch to 300 if there is an awesome amp that is way underpriced. please help me out guys
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/20/2005 10:38 pm
umm, I looked up the Roland JC120, lowest price I could find was $550. and they only have one on e-bay, and it's brand new and selling for $700.
my spyspace
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/21/2005 12:13 am
dude,your gonna get laughed at with a rogue.Pony's suggestion for the roland is excellent...I would love one myself to run my GT-8 into.

here,check out this fender...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/480723/
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2005 12:25 am
hey, don't get me wrong, I would like the roland, but price is a big issue for me.
my spyspace
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2005 12:33 am
ok, I just checked ebay again, apparently I get more results looking up "roland amplifier" then I did looking up "Roland JC120", I found a few more, but none of them are less than $300
my spyspace
# 5
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/21/2005 12:33 am
check out the link to the fender above.^^^^^^^^^^^
Try once,fail twice...
# 6
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2005 12:42 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartcheck out the link to the fender above.^^^^^^^^^^^

I did, it appears as though it would get the job done, but still a bit high in price. if all else fails and I can't find anything better, I may get the fender
my spyspace
# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/21/2005 12:45 am
Dude,its worth it.Don't settle...ever.Suck it up for a few weeks for the money if you have to...it will be worth it and be that much sweeter.
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
03/21/2005 12:48 am
Also,even if the gig is soon and you need an amp ASAP,you can rent from a local store.If your only doing one or two gigs a month,renting might be a good idea until you can afford something good.
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2005 1:02 am
no, I gig every sunday morning, and pracice every thursday, I want to get an amp that I can just leave there so I don't need to drag an amp with me everytime I go. and until I get a new amp I'll just be playing in the background with no one hearing me...
my spyspace
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/21/2005 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: 6strngs_2hmbkrstrying to play a gig with a 15 watt practice amp is no fun! trust me, I can barely hear myself and I'm standing right in front of my amp. the people in the back of the room definately can't hear me, and I'm being drowned out by the acoustic to my right, the acoustic to my left, the acoustic behind me, and the bass kinda behind me and to the left... interesting band I know, but trying to fit that many people on that stage is hard. anyways! I need a gig amp. and as much as I would love a marshall half stack, or a mesa boogie, I kinda can't afford one. I saw this one amp on musicians friend, here, it didn't get a single bad review, and it seems really good for the price, but I just randomly saw it, I don't have my heart set on it. please please recommend some amps in the 100-200 watt range, preferablly with more than one speaker, combo or half stack, it doesn't need to have effects, I'll be running my effects peddle through it. I just need more VOLUME, but I don't want to get something with crappy tone either, it doesn't need to be the best of the best tone, just not crap. I'd like to stay under $250 if at all possible, I may be able to stretch to 300 if there is an awesome amp that is way underpriced. please help me out guys

If I was in your position, I would be looking for a used Peavey Classic 30 or Classic 50.

As the names suggest, they're only 30 and 50 watts, but being tube amps they're A LOT louder than you'd think they'd be compared to soid state amps of the same or higher wattage.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/21/2005 2:29 pm
I've got a classic 50 and it is uber loud! Also, I'm pretty sure that the classic 30 would be plenty loud for your application. Trust me, it's a lot louder than you think. Plus, if it doesn't sound exactly like you want, you can alway's change out the tubes and speaker to customize it to your liking. Link to classic 30's on ebay
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 12
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/21/2005 3:07 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartdude,your gonna get laughed at with a rogue.Pony's suggestion for the roland is excellent...I would love one myself to run my GT-8 into.

He's right, don't get a Rogue. I've got a 50 watt Rogue that I confiscated from a friend of mine and the thing just sucks. It was about $150, the clean channel is less than mediocre and the distorted channel? Shouldn't the guitar distort when you hit the distortion button? And don't be afraid to spend a bit more out of your price range. When I bought my SG I intended on spending $600 and ended up spending $1200. But you know what? It was worth it. I got a far better piece of equipment by waiting that extra bit and saving up. One of the mistakes too many people make when shopping is not spending enough money. What you pay for is what you get.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/21/2005 9:38 pm
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaI've got a classic 50 and it is uber loud! Also, I'm pretty sure that the classic 30 would be plenty loud for your application. Trust me, it's a lot louder than you think. Plus, if it doesn't sound exactly like you want, you can alway's change out the tubes and speaker to customize it to your liking. Link to classic 30's on ebay

I actually like the tone of Classic 30's better and yeah, for what they are, they're UNGODLY loud.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/21/2005 10:45 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnea Fender would be an excellent choice. i take it you're playing at church so you don't need anything that's gonna lay down hellfire or anything; Fenders get a nice light overdrive, and have great reverb and chorus; they're usually pretty cheap to boot. you can get killer used deals on them.

well, actually... I kinda am raising hell-fire at church... I'm described as the one that makes the normally boring church music into something fun. I do play with distortion, compression, etc. but I don't need an amp with a good overdrive channel, just a loud clean channel that I can run my effects into.
my spyspace
# 15
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/22/2005 4:36 am
ok, I found a marshall mg100dfx (combo, not head) for $220 on that www.craiglist.com should I get it? musicians friend describes the amp as being "a fully gig-capable amp". the amp costs about $465 new. it is a few months old and in like new condition. it's a solid state with 100W and a 12" speaker. it seems like an extremely good deal, should I go for it?
my spyspace
# 16
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/22/2005 4:48 am
Personally, I would steer you away from any solid state amp.

They just don't sound good to me.

As to the amp in question, I'm going to bow out of the discussion as I've never delt with it specifically.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/22/2005 4:55 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovPersonally, I would steer you away from any solid state amp.

They just don't sound good to me.

As to the amp in question, I'm going to bow out of the discussion as I've never delt with it specifically.

the amp that I have right now is a solid state, it sounds fine, at least, it sounds good enough, if I could take the amp I have right now and make it louder I would, but it is a cheapo and I don't think I could even plug it into a cabinet. it has three input/output jacks, labeled Input, Headphones, and Footswitch... and there is nothing in the back... if you want to see it go to: http://www.johnsongtr.com/RepTone_15.135.0.html
my spyspace
# 18
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
03/22/2005 1:22 pm
My cousin has the mg100dxf 2x12 version, and he seems to like it pretty good, though I've never heard it. The thing about tube ams, is that it takes fewer tube watts to get as loud as solid state watts, i.e. 50 tube watt's will be every bit as loud as 100 solid state watts if not louder. Plus you can alway's swap out the tubes and speakers for a different tone or more clean headroom. To me, solid state amps seem to fart out (for lack of better description) the louder they get, but tube amps just get sweeter and sweeter the louder they get. I defanately suggest saving up a little more money to get a better amp, than just setteling with what you can get now. You will thank your self later! In the mean time if your amp isn't loud enough, does your church band go through a PA? If so, and you're using an effects unit that models amps and cabinet's, then just run one of the outputs directly to the PA.
Here's another amp that might be worth looking into: Pignose
or this one: Blues Jr.
or this one: Ampeg

I would love to have each one of those amps! And I promise they will be louder than you think, and much louder than your current amp.

Good luck, and have fun with your search! ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
03/22/2005 9:19 pm
ok, how about a mesa boogie .50 caliber combo amp? I found one for $150 and it just needs the tubes replaced. or there is one on ebay for $175 (right now) that has just had the tubes replaced and it comes with 3 effects pedals (Boss DS-1 distortion, DOD wah/volume, Arion octave) sound like a good deal to me but who knows how high the price will get in the next 6 days.
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.