SPOOKY!!! YES!!!

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/18/2023 12:18 pm
#19 Originally Posted by: dougguitar

Thanks for the update, Mike!

That reminds me of a kind of "behind the scenes" question on the song lessons. Is it you and the other teachers who actually transcribe the individual guitar parts, and then someone transcribes your performance for the notation, or are you working from an existing transcription that someone else has alreaady done? It sounds like the former. And where in the process does the backing track get created? I used to do some freelance transcribing for the big publishers, so I was just kind of curious how this process worked.

Hey Doug!

I'll learn the parts using any number of resources (by ear, tabs, youtube videos, DAW audio plugins to help isolate the parts, etc). Next is a few weeks of practice so that I can play all parts as well as possible. During this time leading up to filming, I'll create the backing track. (I'm actually the person that creates 95% of GT's backing tracks). Then I'll perform and teach the song on camera. Finally, my play-through performance will be transcribed by one of the GT transcribers, so that the tab 100% matches with the performance video.

Very cool you've done some transcribing work! Fun stuff!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 21
dougguitar
Full Access
dougguitar
Full Access
05/18/2023 2:39 pm
#21 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hey Doug!

I'll learn the parts using any number of resources (by ear, tabs, youtube videos, DAW audio plugins to help isolate the parts, etc). Next is a few weeks of practice so that I can play all parts as well as possible. During this time leading up to filming, I'll create the backing track. (I'm actually the person that creates 95% of GT's backing tracks). Then I'll perform and teach the song on camera. Finally, my play-through performance will be transcribed by one of the GT transcribers, so that the tab 100% matches with the performance video.

Very cool you've done some transcribing work! Fun stuff!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Wow! It sounds like, except for the transcribing, you’re pretty much literally a one man band on this process! That’s a lot of work. And I don’t think you all get enough credit for the backing tracks. That’s a big part of the experience here, and I really appreciate the effort that goes into them.

Yes, the transcribing work was fun, and I learned a lot, but it was very time consuming, and I was working a full-time non-music related job at the time. I always thought it was kind of weird how they paid by the page. It didn’t matter if the page just contained strumming open chords, or bars and bars of intense soloing, every page paid the same. šŸ˜„

Thanks for insight into your process there. It makes me appreciate what you and the other teachers do all the more. Keep up the great work.

Doug

# 22
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/20/2023 1:07 pm
#22 Originally Posted by: dougguitar

Hi Mike,

Wow! It sounds like, except for the transcribing, you’re pretty much literally a one man band on this process! That’s a lot of work. And I don’t think you all get enough credit for the backing tracks. That’s a big part of the experience here, and I really appreciate the effort that goes into them.

Yes, the transcribing work was fun, and I learned a lot, but it was very time consuming, and I was working a full-time non-music related job at the time. I always thought it was kind of weird how they paid by the page. It didn’t matter if the page just contained strumming open chords, or bars and bars of intense soloing, every page paid the same. šŸ˜„

Thanks for insight into your process there. It makes me appreciate what you and the other teachers do all the more. Keep up the great work.

Doug

Hey Doug - thanks for the kind words!  I need to send a shout out our GT video team - they film and edit all the videos (not me - haha).

Very cool about the transcribing work, but, agreed, the per page rate is pretty weird!!

Keep rockin'!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 23
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
10/28/2023 4:49 am

Hey Mike,

did you ever complete the extended version of Spooky and post it as a new or revised lesson?

I completed the original Spooky lesson which was fantastic. I would love to add the end of the second solo and the  outro solo with all the octave work. 

Jim

edited
# 24
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2023 9:42 pm
#24 Originally Posted by: Dr Jimmy Jack

Hey Mike,

did you ever complete the extended version of Spooky and post it as a new or revised lesson?

I completed the original Spooky lesson which was fantastic. I would love to add the end of the second solo and the  outro solo with all the octave work. 

Jim

Hey Dr!  Yes we filmed the extended version a few months ago, so it still might be in the post-production/editing queue.  I would expect it will show up on the site in the next few months!

Cheers!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 25
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
Dr Jimmy Jack
Full Access
10/29/2023 4:50 pm
#25 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hey Dr!  Yes we filmed the extended version a few months ago, so it still might be in the post-production/editing queue.  I would expect it will show up on the site in the next few months!

Cheers!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Wow, that is great. I did not realize what a big deal new lessons are at GT.  No just start the camera rolling and updload to YTube. You guys are so thorough.  It is a long process. I will be jamming that tune today in hopes of adding it to our set list. I have loved that tune since it came out in '79!! wanted to do it for the last 20 yrs. I only know of one Denver band that does it any justice. Will be excited to hear the new parts. thanks for the update.

Thank you, Keep Rawking it!

Dr JJ

# 26
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/16/2023 11:13 pm

Hey everybody! The full album version of Spooky is now live on the site:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/33086

Rock on!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 27
dougguitar
Full Access
dougguitar
Full Access
11/20/2023 5:22 am
#27 Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Hey everybody! The full album version of Spooky is now live on the site:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson/33086

Rock on!

Mike

Yes, and a beautiful thing it is! Thank you so much for going back adding the rest of the solos. A real treat!

# 28
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/20/2023 1:07 pm
#28 Originally Posted by: dougguitar

Yes, and a beautiful thing it is! Thank you so much for going back adding the rest of the solos. A real treat!

Thanks Doug - enjoy!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 29
jlg2advise
Full Access
jlg2advise
Full Access
12/08/2023 10:44 pm

Manna from Heaven!!  This is Fantastic!!

# 30

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.