View thread

Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/18/2023 12:18 pm
#19 Originally Posted by: dougguitar

Thanks for the update, Mike!

That reminds me of a kind of "behind the scenes" question on the song lessons. Is it you and the other teachers who actually transcribe the individual guitar parts, and then someone transcribes your performance for the notation, or are you working from an existing transcription that someone else has alreaady done? It sounds like the former. And where in the process does the backing track get created? I used to do some freelance transcribing for the big publishers, so I was just kind of curious how this process worked.

Hey Doug!

I'll learn the parts using any number of resources (by ear, tabs, youtube videos, DAW audio plugins to help isolate the parts, etc). Next is a few weeks of practice so that I can play all parts as well as possible. During this time leading up to filming, I'll create the backing track. (I'm actually the person that creates 95% of GT's backing tracks). Then I'll perform and teach the song on camera. Finally, my play-through performance will be transcribed by one of the GT transcribers, so that the tab 100% matches with the performance video.

Very cool you've done some transcribing work! Fun stuff!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach