What Pedal to use to get B B King style or Blues


Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
01/02/2022 6:12 pm

Hey All,

I don't own the typucal B B King style guitar but just a Fender Electro Acoustinc DCS60 a decent guitar that has a beautiful tone, and I also own a Les Paul style, is an Ephiphone Les Paul classic.

I am begineer and still struggling but I am learning my first full B.B. King[br]The Thrill Is Gone (Made Easy)

Since the path I want undertake once I complete the GF 2 is Blues I wonder what pedal or anythig other things do I need to get that typical B B King sound or typically I like Blues that is what Jimmy Reed was playing or Muddy Water but even Eric Clpaton for example Sweet Home Chicago

I build Tube Amps and Cabs myself, did this since a while currently I have an 5F1 Champ for Home and also a Madam Amp this is basically a 60s Bluesbreaker sound (Clean) with 2 channels where the second Channel is British Rock sound from 70s where you can add gain for distortion.

any other ideas is there a pedal that I can buy or build that can help with blues.

I have used Guitar Amps for using with Organ and also with Fender Rhodes piano this is why I built Amps but never applied to a Guitar.


Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 1
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,521
john of MT
Full Access
Joined: 10/08/09
Posts: 1,521
01/03/2022 3:07 pm

This is a small start, "Welcome to your journey to find the B.B. King guitar tone" http://bbkinggear.com/

Note the mention of different equipment during different periods of King's career and the rare, if any, use of pedals.


"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 2
Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
01/03/2022 4:34 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MT

This is a small start, "Welcome to your journey to find the B.B. King guitar tone" http://bbkinggear.com/

Note the mention of different equipment during different periods of King's career and the rare, if any, use of pedals.

thanks good to know about no pedal


Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,306
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,306
01/03/2022 5:07 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

I am begineer and still struggling but I am learning my first full B.B. King[br]The Thrill Is Gone (Made Easy)

[/quote]

At this point in your learning just worry about playing the right notes at the right time. Equipment is only a consideration after you've leared to play a little!

Originally Posted by: ViolantedSince the path I want undertake once I complete the GF 2 is Blues I wonder what pedal or anythig other things do I need to get that typical B B King sound or typically I like Blues that is what Jimmy Reed was playing or Muddy Water[/quote]

As John mentioned, none of those guys used pedals. Just an electric guitar straight into an basic amp with a clean tone.

If you are trying to emulate BB King then an electric clean tone is perfect to start with. It's going to be all about the notes & phrasing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13476&s_id=793

We have a list of BB King tunes with a Gear & Tone lesson in each one.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/artist/bb-king

For example, Anders details the clean tone approach in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=23007

Originally Posted by: Violantedeven Eric Clpaton for example Sweet Home Chicago

For something like that you might need to have a little gain or overdrive, but you can usually find an appropriate setting on any beginner amp.

[quote=Violanted]I build Tube Amps and Cabs myself, did this since a while currently I have an 5F1 Champ for Home and also a Madam Amp this is basically a 60s Bluesbreaker sound (Clean) with 2 channels where the second Channel is British Rock sound from 70s where you can add gain for distortion.

This is exactly right for what you are trying to eventually do! Practice & have fun!

[quote=Violanted]any other ideas is there a pedal that I can buy or build that can help with blues.

Some of the British blues players started using treble boosters, Dallas Rangemasters, Tonebenders. But those are all just basic & primitive gain pedals & any amp with a gain channel will do just fine.

Hope that helps!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
Violanted
Full Access
Joined: 03/21/21
Posts: 63
01/04/2022 6:42 am
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel
Originally Posted by: Violanted

I am begineer and still struggling but I am learning my first full B.B. King[br]The Thrill Is Gone (Made Easy)

[/quote]

At this point in your learning just worry about playing the right notes at the right time. Equipment is only a consideration after you've leared to play a little!

Originally Posted by: ViolantedSince the path I want undertake once I complete the GF 2 is Blues I wonder what pedal or anythig other things do I need to get that typical B B King sound or typically I like Blues that is what Jimmy Reed was playing or Muddy Water[/quote]

As John mentioned, none of those guys used pedals. Just an electric guitar straight into an basic amp with a clean tone.

If you are trying to emulate BB King then an electric clean tone is perfect to start with. It's going to be all about the notes & phrasing.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=13476&s_id=793

We have a list of BB King tunes with a Gear & Tone lesson in each one.

https://www.guitartricks.com/songs/artist/bb-king

For example, Anders details the clean tone approach in this lesson.

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=23007

Originally Posted by: Violantedeven Eric Clpaton for example Sweet Home Chicago

For something like that you might need to have a little gain or overdrive, but you can usually find an appropriate setting on any beginner amp.

[quote=Violanted]I build Tube Amps and Cabs myself, did this since a while currently I have an 5F1 Champ for Home and also a Madam Amp this is basically a 60s Bluesbreaker sound (Clean) with 2 channels where the second Channel is British Rock sound from 70s where you can add gain for distortion.

This is exactly right for what you are trying to eventually do! Practice & have fun!

[quote=Violanted]any other ideas is there a pedal that I can buy or build that can help with blues.

Some of the British blues players started using treble boosters, Dallas Rangemasters, Tonebenders. But those are all just basic & primitive gain pedals & any amp with a gain channel will do just fine.

Hope that helps!

yes that helps a lot thank you it's all clear.


Dave Mojo

davide.violante@rockers.rocks

www.rockers.rocks

[u]Netheralnds[/u]

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,306
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,306
01/04/2022 12:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Violanted

yes that helps a lot thank you it's all clear.

Good deal!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.