Distortion on Practice?

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/25/2020 6:55 pm
Originally Posted by: KLZ39

Jut asking... how do you know how low or up they need to be?

this is how they look now... btw the bridge one seems to have a little inclination (ignore the ripped paper, it wasnt me)

https://imgur.com/5larBK1

https://imgur.com/JzYEGKt

[/quote]

I'm not sure it's causing all the trouble, but Herman is right, you should definitely lower your pickups. I'd say just lower them until the tops of them are level with the pickup rings (the black plastic spacers surrounding them). You can raise them later when & if you need to once you've built some basic technique.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39Nothing? I plugged an Aux cable from the headphone jack to the computer line-in[/quote]

Your signal chain is everything including the guitar, any cables, any devices. It could be that the signal going out the headphone jack is way too high for plugging into the computer line in. Look in your computer sound mixer console for the volume control on the line in.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39The settings on the computer have the audio in volume somewhere over the middle, its louder but honestlyI didnt hear really that different than putting the headphones right in the AmPlug[/quote]

Is that the OUTPUT (the speaker or headphone volume)? Or the INPUT? Because if you have the input too high it doesn't matter what the output is on, it's going to be way too hot.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39Im not using the Orange because it produces a lot of interference when I connect the guitar, i think its related to the power supply or something because it way cleaner running with bateries[/quote]

I don't understand that. Where is interference coming from when you simply plug the guitar into the amp? I mean with out using the Vox or the computer at all.

You can't turn the amp on a low gain & low volume setting? I'm guessing that might solve a lot of problems for you. Can you plug it into a separate electrical outlet than the computer & try it? Or just use the batteries?

Regarding the Vox unit: it's probably going to be too loud & overdriven for ANY and ALL beginner material regardless of how you set it.

[quote=KLZ39]Yeah but got me thinking... there must be something else wrong here, isnt it? i mean this is all dials on 1

Any metal amp or setting is designed to be very high output with lots of gain. I really think you need to set that Vox aside for now. :)

[quote=KLZ39]I did watch the muting tutorial (many times) but even when its part of the same, it kinda look like a different case, i mean even when you are showing how is not muted you still dont get the cat concert i get every time i go near the strings or like when you just move your hand like around 3:25...

That's because I have my amp on a very simple, basic clean tone at a low volume. And because whatever setting you are using is strumming a basic, beginner open D major chord with an amp set for a Metallica crunch sound. :)

In your videos it looks & sounds like you are at a beginner level trying to strum a D chord that has some open strings & you are strumming in a way that makes all the strings ring together. That's fine if you have a clean tone with low volume.

If you do that through a metal setting (high gain/overdrive simulating loud volume) it will sound terrible! That kind of amp setting is designed for use with a lot of palm & finger muting & playing very staccato riffs (short quick sounds) in which the strings do not ring all over each other.

[quote=KLZ39]Btw, just wondering where in the program is this lesson located? i mean, how long after fundamentals you are supposed to get there? or is a separated thing? im a little lost here and this seems like very important info for the people who start with an electric

My older fundamentals is more aimed at students starting with electric. Since the majority of people start with acoustic, GT had Lisa do the new fundamentals starting with an acoustic guitar! You can find my older course here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=guitarfundamentals1v1(discontinued)

In summary (for now!), unplug that Vox & set it aside until you are ready for metal style palm muting & precise picking techniques. Play without an amp at all or try to make you Orange amp work without any gain at all, just a clean tone. If you can't get the amp to work, then just play your guitar unamplified for now while you are learning & practicing basic technique.

Let me know how it goes!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 1
KLZ39
Full Access
KLZ39
Full Access
04/26/2020 7:11 am

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I'm not sure it's causing all the trouble, but Herman is right, you should definitely lower your pickups. I'd say just lower them until the tops of them are level with the pickup rings (the black plastic spacers surrounding them). You can raise them later when & if you need to once you've built some basic technique.

[/quote]

Well, i lower them to the frame height and the overload noise dissapear.

Now I can hear clearly the strings that are making the sound dirty (mostly open ones and some mistakes), so it will be a matter of getting some mutting technic to clean it i guess

The other issue the last recording may have had is that the Volume knob on the guitar is deffective and sometimes turns up and down by just barely touching it, now i was paying attention to it every time

I do notice that i needed to rise the volume up after lower the pick ups but since im not around max i guess is alright.. or it may be too quiet? but as you said i can rise them later... maybe just little by little if its needed

I leave the video here

Is the same record settings on the same device, first the VOX with the settings on 1, then the OrangeC3

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VNcx9ysBPzutvVBNJ01qk8rDKrjjVe8I/view?usp=sharing

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Your signal chain is everything including the guitar, any cables, any devices. It could be that the signal going out the headphone jack is way too high for plugging into the computer line in. Look in your computer sound mixer console for the volume control on the line in.[br]Is that the OUTPUT (the speaker or headphone volume)? Or the INPUT? Because if you have the input too high it doesn't matter what the output is on, it's going to be way too hot.

[p]

It was just the guitar connected via an aux cable to the computer's Line-in port, the imput volume is on 60 out of 100 (as i said a bit far from the middle) but, i was not using any kind of real music software, just Quicktime Player

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

Where is interference coming from when you simply plug the guitar into the amp? I mean with out using the Vox or the computer at all.

I dont know, the Orange have a kinda low interference sound by itself (and a constant hiss sound on the headphones), but if you use the power adapter it get really loud. Somebody explain to me that the music/sound electronics need some kind special of adapter even if the one i was using have exactly the same specs it said it required ...and the speaker sounds kinda dull

I totally need to stop using garbage level equipement, i know!

Ok, i gonna check that link you gave me

Now... unless you find some other thing i need to change on that video i think i can finally start preacticing with amplification... just need to be aware of mutting to clean it as i can

....Right?

# 2
Herman10
Herman10
04/26/2020 10:00 am

That sounds lots better now. The humming sound from th Orange C3 comes from the guitar, if you touch grounded steel on the guitar it stops wright?

You can ask a guitar tech to check the wiring in the guitar, normally there has to be a ground wire connected to the bridge and the pots and the jack input. Another thing he can do is open the guitar and aply a metal shielding paint ( can be bought in most music stores ) to the inside of the guitar and connect that to the grounding as well and that should make the guitar hum and his free( you can also cover the inside with thick alu foil glued )( with more expensive guitars this is already done factory wise but unfortunatly not Mexican Fenders ).

Herman

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2020 3:15 pm
Originally Posted by: KLZ39

Well, i lower them to the frame height and the overload noise dissapear.[/quote]

Good deal! I agree that's a great improvment!

Originally Posted by: KLZ39The other issue the last recording may have had is that the Volume knob on the guitar is deffective and sometimes turns up and down by just barely touching it, now i was paying attention to it every time[/quote]

That's good to be aware of.

Originally Posted by: KLZ39I do notice that i needed to rise the volume up after lower the pick ups but since im not around max i guess is alright.. or it may be too quiet? but as you said i can rise them later... maybe just little by little if its needed[/quote]

As clean & quiet as possible is best when you are just a beginner. Now start practicing!

[quote=KLZ39]It was just the guitar connected via an aux cable to the computer's Line-in port, the imput volume is on 60 out of 100 (as i said a bit far from the middle) but, i was not using any kind of real music software, just Quicktime Player

Fair enough. But I know from personal experience that computer interfaces can be very sensitive & not linear on the volume. So you might notice a big difference between 20, 40 or 60.

[quote=KLZ39]I totally need to stop using garbage level equipement, i know!

Haha! Well, sure. But all you really need is to get a clean quiet tone to start practicing! And I think you are there!

[quote=KLZ39]unless you find some other thing i need to change on that video i think i can finally start preacticing with amplification... just need to be aware of mutting to clean it as i can

....Right?

You bet! Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
manXcat
manXcat
04/26/2020 9:25 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelIn summary (for now!), unplug that Vox & set it aside until you are ready for metal style palm muting & precise picking techniques. Play without an amp at all or try to make you Orange amp work without any gain at all, just a clean tone. If you can't get the amp to work, then just play your guitar unamplified for now while you are learning & practicing basic technique.

KLZ39. [u]Listen[/u] to what Christopher is saying, then listen to this (timed link) short Orange Crush Micro demo immediately followed by Blackstar Fly 3 to illustrate. The acoustic echo from playing into a jam tin would sound cleaner than that Crush.

Orange Mini latest 'improved' version. Skipped 3 minutes of blabber until the dirty only demonstrated here because it has no other tone. Read the comments section below that product placement advertiser account appeasing drivel 'demo'.

You've already been told about your Metal VOX amPlug [u]how many times[/u]? o.O

If you want crystal cleans (& everything else from brown to dirty), Blackstar Fly 3. There's your [u]ultra affordable to all solution in a portable, convenient package with a versatile and huge for its size sound[/u] which will adequately suffice until you can afford a more expensive practice amp offering greater versatility. e.g. Blackstar ID:Core 10/20/40, BOSS Katana 50 et al.

[u]Your guitar[/u].

1.Set both humbucker pup heights as already iterated, then [u]leave them alone[/u].

2. Initiate a process of elimination to confirm electrical continuity and ciruit integrity. If you haven't the know how, apparent, take it to guitar tech who knows what a multimeter is and how to use it to check for continuity, resistance, failure (failed/dry solderered joint or part e.g. pot/capacitor), and to fix any issues encountered. Alternatively, continue with perpetual frustration methodology and enjoy.

[br]All the best with the former. GL if you choose the latter.

# 5
KLZ39
Full Access
KLZ39
Full Access
04/27/2020 5:51 pm

Well, i think that the main issue here was kinda fixed or at least is under control

¡¡Thank you all very much!!

Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

The humming sound from th Orange C3 comes from the guitar, if you touch grounded steel on the guitar it stops right?

[/quote]

Yes and no... I can hear the hum and the Hiss just plugging the headphones on the Amp... with no guitar connected.

The big interference sound does get quiet if i touch the steel on the guitar, so i assume both things have issues

Originally Posted by: hsnoeckx

... unfortunatly not Mexican Fenders

[/quote]

Neither seems to be the case on China made Deans.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

all you really need is to get a clean quiet tone to start practicing! And I think you are there!

Yeah, and it really feels good after all this mess

[quote=manXcat]

...Blackstar Fly 3. There's your ultra affordable to all solution in a portable, convenient package with a versatile and huge for its size sound...

You've already been told....

Yes, i know, i said i was going to get one of those as soon as i can, but right now im working home under a lockdown only allowed to go to essencial places... music shops are out of discussion

I was the first on suggesting go unplug because the equipment i have wasnt working... thats how this discussion started

And It was clear that the Vox was not the right thing, yet we were trying to get acceptable results with what i had (after lowering the pick ups the 1,1,1 settings is far from perfect but kinda stable)

And finally, the Orange one is from a relative that have it around, im aware that it may be damaged (some idiot spray painted) but again, i cannot go to a music shop now

I wasnt going to touch the pickups after it... solve the issue, thats why i asked if it was too quiet and if it was ok to leave them like that....

And the guitar is garbage i already know that too, fixing all the issues it has is probably more expensive than get a new one

Actually, the more i think it the more i want to get a new one (at least just to see the diference) i've been seeing people getting crazy about how good and affortable the JS32T is, but i think should make more research before dive head-first into another cheap one

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.