any garcia fans?

crimsondjango
crimsondjango
07/14/2002 5:21 pm
just found this place- looking for stuff on Jerry and the Dead. Example- in "Love Light" on the Filllmore 4 cd set that came out- waht in the hell is that prgression. I know blues progressions but than it jumps to this dark thing. Preetty cool for jammin over. ANy suggestions.
# 1
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/16/2002 12:04 am
Originally posted by crimsondjango
just found this place- looking for stuff on Jerry and the Dead. Example- in "Love Light" on the Filllmore 4 cd set that came out- waht in the hell is that prgression. I know blues progressions but than it jumps to this dark thing. Preetty cool for jammin over. ANy suggestions.

hell yeah!

i personally don't own the fillmore shows (im guessin your talkin about the 1968 fillmore shows), so i can't tell you if the proggression is different, but if you own Live/Dead, the progression is pretty much E to A, you can use the 7 form of em if you want (i prefer not to, i think they sound darker that way). This dark thing? Im guessing you mean Dark Star, THE greatest jam song ever created, save maybe Jessica. Im guessing you mean Dark Star, not because you said Dark, but because with Phil Lesh leading on bass and Jerry doing those eerie solos, it does indeed sound dark.

go to http://www.rukind.com , that is the best dead site. everything is pretty general, but there is no authentic dead tabber anyways.

How old are you?
# 2
David C
David C
07/16/2002 2:48 pm
Hey guys. Sorry, I don't have anything to add to the Filmore discussion, but rukind definitely rocks. But I have another question. How do you play "Scarlet Begonias?" I play it E, B, A, like it says on RuKind, but my drummer friend says it doesn't sound right. Any ideas? I suppose I could try G, D, C? It would help to get the little lick down pat at the end of verses too, I guess. Anyway, I love to talk "Dead," so let's talk.
David
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 3
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/24/2002 10:24 pm
No no no, the chords are DEFINITELY right. dont let the drummer tell you whats right and whats wrong. Perhaps your using a different voicing than you should be using for it. Dont use the 1st position voicings for it, use the ones around the 7th fret, should sound fine. they are not inverted either, solid chords. One thing you might want to do is turn it down a bit for the rhythm, and way up for the solos, because generally Bob Weir doesnt play nearly as loud as Jerry does.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/27/2002 2:45 am
Hey Dead-heads (I hope that is not a derogatory term !)

I have recently got into Phish and although I have always heard of the Dead I have never really spent much time listening to them.
SO, I have been listening to Billy Breathless and The story of the ghost, both of which are very cool.

I want some recommendations, what Dead records are good to start on ?

Any input would make me smile !
Cheers
S

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/27/2002 4:35 am
well, the dead and phish are totally different. Phish is the thing you laugh about, the dead are what you laugh about when your on acid (sorta...).

but anyways, "American Beauty" is a good one, if you like acoustic folk music...Also, the "Dicks Picks" series is good, go on http://www.etree.org and get some live concerts via B + P (blank + postage), i recommend the live concerts over studio cds, Europe '72 is a good one...

Really you can't go wrong...just don't buy "Go To Heaven" ( i like the cd, but some reason most other people dont..."

# 6
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
08/27/2002 9:17 am
I've been enjoying their stuff lately...I've only got 3 songs that I've downloaded but its good to have something light and easy to listen to. Looks Like Rain, I will get by and Cocaine are the three I've got.

When I next get chance to visit my fav record store which album should I look for?
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 7
David C
David C
08/27/2002 1:53 pm
Like IH said, American Beauty is a great album. So is Workingman's Dead. Terrapin Station is a little more wild, not so acoustic, but it's good. I think the dead were at their best in the 70's. BLack Peter, Dark Star, Unbroken Chain, St. Stephen are some of my favorite songs. I saw them twice in the early 90's.

DC
"It's all right son . . . we told you what to dream"
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/28/2002 12:12 am
Thanks folks, Im off to the record shop !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 9
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/28/2002 1:39 am
Originally posted by ^Chacron^
I've been enjoying their stuff lately...I've only got 3 songs that I've downloaded but its good to have something light and easy to listen to. Looks Like Rain, I will get by and Cocaine are the three I've got.

When I next get chance to visit my fav record store which album should I look for?

Good choices, but what you should know is that often people put the wrong name on the title (when they put it online), Looks like rain is a good one, and that's the correct title, but "Cocaine" is "Casey Jones" (if its the one "high on cocaine..., i've never heard them cover eric clapton's 'cocaine', so im guesing thats it), and "I will get by" is "Touch of Grey".

If your into the lighter stuff, you can't go wrong with american beauty...Reckoning (also acoustic) is awesome too.
Terrapin Station, while being overproduced (except the song terrapin station, which imo is perfect), is a pretty good one too.
Also check out Garcia's solo albums. Just about every single one is good, check out "Garcia", "Reflections", "Cats Down under the Stars", or if your into bluegrass or folk music you can check out the Jerry Garcia/David Grisman stuff, or the "Old & In the Way" cds, which are awesome.
What you'll find out eventually, is that there is so much dead out there, i don't think any band has had every single concert taped from 1966 to 1995 (almost every single one).

# 10
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
08/28/2002 1:17 pm
Uhhhhhh, that was Eric Clapton covering JJ Cale's "Cocaine". The Dead covered many songs over the years - as Martha says "it's a good thing"!
# 11
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
08/28/2002 2:27 pm
Thanx IH, thats cleared up the titles thing for me...

On Imesh you click on the songname after searching and you get info in a seperate box....The filename was 'cocaine' and the song info had 'Casey Jones' as song title. Actually I didn't really like that one, but hey, its only one song....the others were great :) I'll go spend some cash and let ya know if I dig American Beauty.

By the way, that album's not where the film of the same title got inspiration is it??
# 12
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/28/2002 5:46 pm
actually it sort of is...

because on the film American Beauty there is roses too, so im guessing they had some old deadheads working on it.

But John, i have many dead cds and many live concerts, and i know for a fact they didn't do "Cocaine" by eric clapton or JJ cale or whoever wrote the song...they were more into covering bob dylan style stuff, but not limited to that (as they did "Dancin' in the streets" too.
# 13
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/29/2002 7:36 am
I've been a Dead/Phish fan for many years now. I cried when Jerry Died, and tripped balls as Trey and the rest of the Phish Gang tore into "funky bitch" with the Son Seals. Jam music is definately an enlightening genre. If your a pissed-off teenager this style of music probably isn't for you. But if you're looking for some hedonistic sonic liberation, here are some suggestions for you:

Grateful Dead:
Shakedown Street
Touch of Grey
Cassidy
Uncle John's Band
Fire on the Mountain
Friend of the Devil

Phish:
Fee
Heavy Things
Stash
Funky Bitch
First Tube
Wading in the velvet seas

*Note: Jerry Garcia didn't even have all of his fingers and he was an incredible player. Another little know fact is that Jerry was better on the banjo than on the guitar.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 14
John O'Carroll
John O'Carroll
08/29/2002 1:05 pm
Never said the Dead did - only giving credit to the correct songwriter (BTW JJ Cale's stuff is terrific - I'm a big fan - check him out ). The Dead covered " Good Lovin' " by the Rascals, "Johnny B Goode" (who doesn't LOL) by Chuck Berry and many, many more in their vast catalog of live recordings.
# 15
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/29/2002 5:52 pm
Originally posted by Leedogg
I've been a Dead/Phish fan for many years now. I cried when Jerry Died, and tripped balls as Trey and the rest of the Phish Gang tore into "funky bitch" with the Son Seals. Jam music is definately an enlightening genre. If your a pissed-off teenager this style of music probably isn't for you. But if you're looking for some hedonistic sonic liberation, here are some suggestions for you:

Grateful Dead:
Shakedown Street
Touch of Grey
Cassidy
Uncle John's Band
Fire on the Mountain
Friend of the Devil

Phish:
Fee
Heavy Things
Stash
Funky Bitch
First Tube
Wading in the velvet seas

*Note: Jerry Garcia didn't even have all of his fingers and he was an incredible player. Another little know fact is that Jerry was better on the banjo than on the guitar.

to be fair, the half of a finger not on jerry's right hand-middle finger, was on his picking hand, not his fretting hand, but you are right, i have footage of jerry playin banjo at home, woah! you know!? drove me nuts at his playing, i have this footage of him in the early 60's with the wildwood boys i believe, he totally tore up the banjo like nothin.

personally i can't like phish. i just can't listen to them. i used to flop in "A live one" every once in a while, but my brain would force me to turn it off and throw some dead on...its a loyalty thing. i mean, i was reading an issue of high times the other day, trey was in there, he said "If you love jerry garcia, there's nothing we can do for you. chances are , you don't like our music, then." and thats true...at least for me it is...
# 16
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/29/2002 5:54 pm
Originally posted by John O'Carroll
Never said the Dead did - only giving credit to the correct songwriter (BTW JJ Cale's stuff is terrific - I'm a big fan - check him out ). The Dead covered " Good Lovin' " by the Rascals, "Johnny B Goode" (who doesn't LOL) by Chuck Berry and many, many more in their vast catalog of live recordings.

oh, definitely. im just saying that i don't think the dead would ever cover that song, as they were always more into dylan-esque story songs (good lovin is a major exception, and "Gimmie Some Lovin" is awesome too.)
have you ever noticed that though? most of the dead covers tell a story, of life, death, anything, for instance; desolation row, its all over now baby blue, etc.

800th post!
# 17
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
08/30/2002 11:20 am
Okay I've got it now and I like it :) It kinda reminded me of the Eagles sound even though there are many differences...its nice to have a mainly accoustic album that gets away from guitar solos.

And its true what youre all sayin about musicians with bits of them missing....they still triumph, like Tony Iommi with the ends of his fretboard fingers missing and Rick Allen with his missing arm (Okay he's a drummer but I still got a lot of respect for someone who can come back from a loss like that.)
# 18
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
08/30/2002 6:32 pm
what's your fav song on american beauty?
# 19
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
09/01/2002 11:08 am
Friend of the Devil.....kinda catchy, its sticks in my head, and it swings :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.