Once again in a band

Kasperow
Kasperow
11/21/2014 10:00 pm
And now I have two possible bands lined up. There's the Punk Rock band I mentioned previously, and then there's a new band-start coming up, it seems. I just saw an ad posted by a bassist, who could also play guitar if needed, who's looking for a band. He's into a lot of different stuff, so I thought "hey, maybe he wants to start an Arena Rock band!". So I threw him a message, telling him a bit about myself and my style, influences and goals, and he was hooked from the beginning. I didn't have a drummer in the loop at the moment, but then I remembered a guy I've chatted with before, and sent him a message too. Both hooked, now I just need a singer for that band, since I can't sing very well, and even if I could, being stuck behind a mic isn't my style at all.

I'm not going to ignore the Punk Rock band. I'll still give them the chance they deserve, but my main interest is with this new possible band right now. Especially since they can only rehearse during the weekends just like me. They can still practice every day, but the drummer doesn't want to drive for an hour to rehearse on regular work-days, if we can rehearse during the weekends instead (suits me just fine, and the Bassist doesn't care what day it is, as long as there will be frequent rehearsals...). Let's see how this develops. There's still a month until my reh with the Punk Rock band, which means a month left to learn some of their songs... I'm not really doing too much progress in that area. Not yet, anyway...
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
11/30/2014 9:04 pm
In case anyone still reads this, there's been some developments in the past week.

First off, the Punk Rock band is starting to seem like a really awesome bunch, despite some differences in tastes. The other day, I sent their rhythm guitarist/singer/leader an email, and asked if I could get a copy of the tabs for some of their songs (starting with my favorites out of their repertoire), and he sent them almost right away, no questions asked. The rhythm is a bit off compared to the recordings, but I really just needed to know which chords or notes to play and in which order. I can adjust the rhythm by listening to the recordings :). I only have 3 weeks to go before I can go and rehearse with them, and so far, things are going smoothly (I already have two of their songs down. I just need to learn the solos or improvise something. Maybe I can get him to show me how to play the start of the solo to one of the songs. I like the beginning of that solo. The problem is the song lends itself to just continuing the solo all the way through to the end of the song, but on the recording, the solo ends after half a minute or so... Maybe I can convince them that the song could benefit from having the lead guitar continuing until the end? It's worth a shot.

On the other front, there's a Classic Rock/Metal band starting up. I have a badass bassist (I jammed with him back in May, and he kicked ass) and a somewhat new guitarist lined up. We just need a drummer and a singer to get that band going somewhere. The cool thing is that we seem to be into the same kind of music and have the same goals, and we're at similar levels, although the other guitarist is a bit behind. I can live with that. We've already agreed on two songs we all like, so we need to find a singer who can handle them... Those two songs are "Space Truckin'" (Deep Purple) and "Eat The Rich" (Aerosmith). Future additions may include "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)", "Run To The Hills" (Iron Maiden) or other great classics with awesome riffs. After that, we can try original stuff. On the bright side, the other guitarist suggested that we give the "performance standard" the middle finger, and split the solos evenly between us. Normally, local upcoming bands just have a designated lead guitarist and a designated rhythm guitarist. Agreeing on who takes which solos will probably be the hardest part, but I see it as more of a challenge than a problem :)

So I have 21 days left before rehearsals can become a possibility, and I have to learn 5 songs in that time. Thanksfully, they're all sort of simple, so it should be easy enough.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 2
haghj500
haghj500
12/02/2014 3:19 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowIn case anyone still reads this, there's been some developments in the past week.

I read them, just not a letter writer and I don't see anything I can add that would help. So I just read them.
# 3
maggior
maggior
12/02/2014 2:19 pm
I don't come into this forum as much as I used to, but I'm keeping tabs on things...including this thread!

Hope it all keeps moving foward and opening up for you.
# 4
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/02/2014 9:23 pm
Okay, cool. I just wasn't sure if anyone still read the posts in this thread.

Sorry to hear (or read) that your band's singer has left, Rich. I hope you guys find someone to replace him soon :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/07/2014 8:56 pm
Two weeks left and I have already managed to learn two of the three songs the Punk band sent me tabs for. What I didn't expect was that I would actually enjoy playing those two songs. Maybe because there's some riffing going on in one of them, and the other just sounds a lot like an 80's Hair Metal Ballad. Surprisingly melodic Punk Rock. That's what I'm going to label them as in the future :D

One the other band's side of things, I've managed to get Space Truckin' down well enough to be recognizable, but I'll improvise a solo for it. That's what Deep Purple always does anyway, right? Eat The Rich is not going that well, but I think if I just stick with it, it'll come together just fine in the end. I still haven't found a singer for the band, but I found out that the lead vocalist in my favorite local upcoming band will be going to the Pretty Maids concert next Saturday, so I'll try and befriend him, see if he is interested in joining a second band, or knows someone who is looking for a band... Or maybe just end up walking out of there bursting with inspiration... Either way, there's only one way to find out what will happen.

In any case, I think I can safely start scheduling a first rehearsal with the surprisingly melodic Punk-Rock band now :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/08/2014 11:50 am
Hey Kasperow,
Great to hear that things are taking off for you! But do you envisage any problems in working with two bands? I've got friends in this situation who find it exhausting.......
Good luck, Steve
# 7
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/08/2014 2:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowHey Kasperow,
Great to hear that things are taking off for you! But do you envisage any problems in working with two bands? I've got friends in this situation who find it exhausting.......
Good luck, Steve

As a matter of fact, I don't find this the least bit exhausting. It can get a bit confusing when I'm talking to 3 different musicians at the moment (the lead singer/rhythm guitarist in the Punk Rock band and the two I'm starting my own band with), but I think I can handle that.

If anything, the biggest problems that might occur would mixing up their names or someone having a problem with me being in two bands. Not that I can see how that can be their problem, but it's a possibility.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 8
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/08/2014 3:42 pm
That's great! I just wondered if playing gigs and rehearsing in two very different bands might be a massive commitment of time. I suppose at some point you may need to choose one over the other! Best wishes, steve
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/08/2014 5:28 pm
Learning guitar is a massive commitment of time. The way I see it, playing in a band is merely a test of resolve, and I'm having a pretty lucky streak when it comes to tests at the moment :) Playing in two bands is just a bigger test of resolve.

Right now, gigging isn't really in my schedule. Yes, if things work out with the "Surprisingly Melodic Punk Rock"-band, there will be gigs. Touring might even be a reality, and if that happens, I have to choose between the two bands, at least for a while (I vote that we go to the UK for various reasons). I'm really looking forward to meeting them and playing their songs with them in the rehearsal-space. It's gonna be a fun change of course, since I'm used to meeting people and just playing covers, or like last time I jammed with a full band, I came in, didn't know how to play any of their songs, and had to spend the first hour just watching them play, then spend half an hour learning to play 1 of their songs, and then pretty much just watching again until the end of the session (not fun). This time, at least I know how to play 2 of their songs at the moment, with the third underway.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 10
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/08/2014 6:17 pm
[QUOTE=Kasperow]Learning guitar is a massive commitment of time. The way I see it, playing in a band is merely a test of resolve, and I'm having a pretty lucky streak when it comes to tests at the moment :) Playing in two bands is just a bigger test of resolve.

Good points! And I hope you guys make it to the UK, 'cos I'll come and see you! All the best, Steve
# 11
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/08/2014 6:20 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowLearning guitar is a massive commitment of time. The way I see it, playing in a band is merely a test of resolve, and I'm having a pretty lucky streak when it comes to tests at the moment :) Playing in two bands is just a bigger test of resolve.

Good point! And I hope you guys make it to the UK, 'cos I'll be able to come to one of your gigs! All the best, Steve
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/08/2014 6:40 pm
Originally Posted by: Steve BarrowGood point! And I hope you guys make it to the UK, 'cos I'll be able to come to one of your gigs! All the best, Steve

Well, to be honest with you, Steve, that was one of the reasons I vote we go to UK when we start touring :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/17/2014 8:23 pm
Well, the first rehearsal with the "Surprisingly Melodic Punk Rock"-band has been postponed until early January, because the drummer has to work night-shifts both of the next two Mondays, and the band normally rehearses on Monday evenings, so with the drummer unable to make it for rehearsals, they've decided to push it to January. Fine by me, really. Gives me some extra time to get the main-riff in one of their songs down (God knows I need that extra time!). The Verse and Chorus is easy enough to play, since they just use Power Chords with simple strumming-patterns. The intro riff and transition from Chorus to Verse, however, is a bit harder, since it involves some quite fast finger-movements. I'm starting to get a hang of it, though...

Unfortunately, I don't really have a lot of time to practice this week, due to having two exams tomorrow, before finally getting out of this completely un-inspiring hell-hole I've been stuck in for the last 10 weeks, and returning to work.

As for the other band I'm starting, the Classic Rock/Metal band, things have been going slow for a while now, since we're each working on getting our parts down for "Eat The Rich" and "Space Truckin'". "Space Truckin'" was pretty easy for me to nail. Got it down pretty much perfectly in the first attempt, and just spent a bit more time polishing it and getting a tone I want for it. "Eat The Rich" is a little more troublesome, but we've agreed on it, so I intend to learn it as well as I can. I'll try and find out how the others are doing and when they expect to have time to meet and play.

In any case, Merry Christmas to you all, Happy New Year, take care of yourselves, and try not to blow your fingers off :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 14
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
12/17/2014 9:05 pm
Hey man, you should be revising instead of posting in the GT forum! But good luck for the exams tomorrow, and seasons greetings. I hope your bands take off big-style in 2015........All the best, Steve
# 15
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/17/2014 10:23 pm
I know. I actually just took a short break to rest my fingers a bit. I'm getting closer to having the riff down at full speed. I think I'm going at about 85% speed at the moment, so compared to yesterday's 50%, it's an improvement. The rest of the song, I can play at full speed. My soloing for another of the songs has also improved drastically in the last few days... I guess it helps to have the recorded version playing in the background so I can jam along to it. It's actually pretty fun to jam along to those songs, despite how easy most of the parts are.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 16
haghj500
haghj500
12/18/2014 2:43 am
Merry Christmas and a Great New Year to you.

May your band roller costar ride be filled with many great moments and interesting turns along the way in the coming year. Reading the last few post it sounds like almost anything may be happening by this time next year.

It is great that everyone is still trying to get together even though things just haven't worked out to practice.
# 17
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/18/2014 3:31 pm
Thanks, man :)

You know, as it looks right now, what you're saying might not be a long shot, really. If it works out with the Punk Rock band and I learn their songs and we start playing gigs together, I could easily see myself trying to introduce them to my local live-scene, since Guitar-driven Rock in all its forms thrives. There aren't any outright huge venues (the biggest venue for concerts has a capacity of 300 people), but anything is a beginning. All great guitarists played small venues once, right?

And as for the other band, well, that'll be taking off next year too, I hope. I believe a rehearsal will come up in early January, but if possible, I'd love to meet up earlier than that.

On a positive note, my exams went a lot better than expected, so now I just have to pack all my stuff and check out by 8:00 AM tomorrow...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 18
haghj500
haghj500
12/19/2014 3:13 am
Congratulations on the Exams !!

It's cool even with all the practicing your doing you are keeping up on your education. We never know what might happen tomorrow, a good education is always helpful.
# 19
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/19/2014 10:25 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Congratulations on the Exams !!

It's cool even with all the practicing your doing you are keeping up on your education. We never know what might happen tomorrow, a good education is always helpful.

Indeed it is. Even moreso when I get paid by my workplace to get my education, get all transport-expenses reimbursed by the government, and can actually use it for stuff that interests me, such as building a Guitar Amp, PA system, audio amplifier, pedals or other music-related gear I might need in the future :) It's useful, I get paid to learn how to do it, and I want to be able to do it. What's not to like about that? The only problem is that exam-periods tend to take up a lot of my spare time, meaning less time for practicing guitar. But that's over for now, so time to go find some lessons on how to properly improve my speed and refine my technique as much as possible in time for the first rehearsal with the Punk Rock band :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.