Once again in a band

Kasperow
Kasperow
01/10/2015 11:55 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500For working on bends.
Do you ever strike the string as you bend it, then without striking the string again slide up two frets and bend up again and keep the string ringing?

It makes a cool sound and helps you learn how to keep a string chiming out burning the bend. At first it's like right you can't do that but after a while you can get two or three bends moving up after just one strike of the string. It's worth trying.

I've never thought of that. Do you return the string to the normal position between each bend (while sliding up) or do you keep it bent while sliding and just bend even further after the slide? Maybe a little elaboration on that part would help, but I'll definitely try it out :) Thanks.

I just found out that one of the local venues is having an open jam night in two weeks. I'm seriously thinking of going there, since I don't know a lot of musicians in town. Most of the people I've jammed with are from other towns, and it'll be a lot easier to get something started if I could find a few folks who live in the same town as I do... Of course, it's no fun going to an open jam alone, or without my guitar. I don't know if anyone is available for it, though. That would make it a lot more fun and less nerve-wracking than going alone :) And if I could get some pictures, that'd be a great addition to the music-room at home, hanging a picture of my first time playing guitar on an actual stage in front of an audience :D
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
01/12/2015 3:09 pm
I'd say GO FOR IT!! Even if you have to, go by yourself...and bring your guitar. Just because you bring your guitar doesn't mean you have to get up and perform, but if the opprotunity presents itself, you'll be ready.

I've heard that some of these can be a bit competetive...I've been fortunate to have not experienced that. The ones I've been to were very encouraging. Everybody else there shares your passion for music, so it's very easy to talk to people. Everytime I went, I got totally swept up by the energy in the room. Even the one time where we played in front of about 3 people, it was a blast!

It's also a great way of meeting your fellow musicians in the area.
# 2
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/12/2015 4:18 pm
Indeed, it's a great way to meet new people to play with. And considering the skill level most local upcoming acts are on, it'll be one hell of a learning experience! I know at least two upcoming bands on the local music-scene, that are over-all better than some of the biggest Danish Rock/Metal bands. I don't expect to get a chance to jam with the people in either of those two bands, but if that opportunity presents itself, I'll seize it!

And it'll be a good way to see if my pickups sound as great with a foreign amp. Obviously, I intend to bring my Les Paul. It's the most comfortable guitar I have, and I haven't been able to afford something of higher quality yet. It also sounds really cool for Rock/Metal, and it can do some pretty nice Blues too, so that's only all the more reason to bring the LP along :)

Maybe I'll find a couple of local guys to play with, maybe my musical network just grows bigger, who knows? Anyway, I'll have to check it out!
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 3
maggior
maggior
01/12/2015 4:47 pm
No matter how you slice it, it will be a good experience...even if you just sit, listen, and chat with fellow musicians.

Let us know how it goes!!
# 4
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/12/2015 5:53 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorNo matter how you slice it, it will be a good experience...even if you just sit, listen, and chat with fellow musicians.

Let us know how it goes!!

That's true. Besides, the main point of going to an open jam session is to meet people and have fun. If I get to jam with some good musicians, that's just awesome. If I get to share the stage with the best Rock/Metal singer in town, that's just even better. If I find someone to start a band with, that'd be great too. And if all of the above happens, perfect! But I won't expect anything.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 5
maggior
maggior
01/12/2015 6:09 pm
Originally Posted by: KasperowBut I won't expect anything.

That's the best attitude to go in with. Just go, be loose, and whatever happens happens.

It's actually recommended that you just hang out at an open mic/jam the first time to get a feel for it. Each one is run differently and can have a different vibe.

Not saying you'd do this, but just be aware that the rudest thing you can do is go, perform, and leave immediately afterwards. If everybody did that, the last person to perform would have no audience...which isn't fair. I don't think you have to stay to the very end, but stay for a while. I for one enjoy staying to the end. It's happened a couple of times that some of the most enjoyable performances were the last ones.
# 6
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/12/2015 7:42 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorThat's the best attitude to go in with. Just go, be loose, and whatever happens happens.

It's actually recommended that you just hang out at an open mic/jam the first time to get a feel for it. Each one is run differently and can have a different vibe.

Not saying you'd do this, but just be aware that the rudest thing you can do is go, perform, and leave immediately afterwards. If everybody did that, the last person to perform would have no audience...which isn't fair. I don't think you have to stay to the very end, but stay for a while. I for one enjoy staying to the end. It's happened a couple of times that some of the most enjoyable experience performances were the last ones.

I've never left a show early. And I usually arrive ahead of time too. Friday next week will be no exception, if I have anything to say. I intend to be there early, see how it works, mingle with the other musicians in hopes of finding someone interested in playing classic rock, and just take things as they come. I know speed isn't my strong suit, so I should focus some of my practice time until then on improving my slower, melodic lead playing. And, of course, improve my Rhythm Guitar playing (practice chords, learn new ones, improve timing, Arpeggios, syncopation and anticipations as covered by Anders in Rock Level 1)... Maybe also learn a couple of easy songs, like the key parts of "Satisfaction" or "Paint It Black" by the Stones, or ZZTOP's "Tush" (really love that riff!). Got some stuff to dig into :)

Of course, it could just as well happen that I don't get up on stage and instead just hang out with the other people who come there.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 7
haghj500
haghj500
01/13/2015 3:41 am
ā€œMaybe a little elaboration on that part would help, but I'll definitely try it out Thanks.ā€

When I started doing this I was doing it in a blues context.
I would start on the G string 9th fret or the E note
Next play the B string 8th fret or G note
Stay on B, slide up to or pick the 10th fret or A. Now bend it up a full note, release it back down the slide to the 13th fret or C note. Hold it keep it ringing.
When you can do that slide from A to C and bend C up a full note or what you can do, keeping it ringing.

You may want to start by just playing A sliding up to C then slide back down to A with it still ringing.

Watch the players right hands you will surprised how much you learn.
# 8
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/13/2015 8:19 pm
Hmm. I'll give that a shot... Or hundreds of shots :)

I've just heard from the Bassist I've been chatting with (for almost a year now...), and he's still very interested in starting a band together. He just doesn't have much time these days due to work (I can relate to that... That's how I felt the last week of my stay at school...). I also saw an advert by a drummer, who's looking for someone to start a rock band with, so I sent him a mail. I'm still awaiting a response, but if he's up for playing our style of Rock, I won't even need to look for bandmates at the open jam :) I'll just have to check out some singers. I'm hoping to get a response from the drummer soon, so we can jam and see how things go. Preferably with the Bassist present too.

I'm still going to go to the open jam, though. It's always a good idea to expand your own musical network, and the best place to do that is to go to the places where musicians hang out.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 9
haghj500
haghj500
01/17/2015 4:14 am
So how did it go?
# 10
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/17/2015 7:11 am
It's seems I didn't express myself clearly. The open jam was next Friday. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough :) Perhaps writing "on Friday, January 23rd" would have been better... So there's still a week to go :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 11
haghj500
haghj500
01/17/2015 4:04 pm
I have to put the blame on me. I just did a quick review a couple threads up and saw Friday. So I assumed it was yesterday. I guess the world will just have to wait another week.
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/17/2015 11:29 pm
Okay, so we share the blame for that one, okay :D

On the bright side I now know that I have at least two supporters coming along to the open jam. My sister and her boyfriend will both be coming, but only to listen to it and provide moral support. Also, my sister has finally regained interest in learning to play music. Granted, she's more into Piano, but at least she got the interest back after drinking with a couple of local musicians (who just so happen to be my favorite local band... And she didn't know!). I did suggest that once she gets the basics back down and learn a couple songs, we could try jamming. Nobody ever said jamming or starting a band with family is illegal, right? Just look at AC/DC and Van Halen...

We'll see how the jam goes next week...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13
compart1
compart1
01/18/2015 5:43 pm
I hope she gets into it.. It will expand both of your musicalities.. Looks like it will expand your music networking..
Good luck to both of you..
# 14
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/18/2015 8:25 pm
Originally Posted by: compart1I hope she gets into it.. It will expand both of your musicalities.. Looks like it will expand your music networking..
Good luck to both of you..

Thanks. I also hope she gets back into it. She used to be pretty good (as in good enough to play Elton John or Guns N' Roses, or even classical stuff like Mozart or Beethoven), but then she met her now ex and she stopped and the piano moved to my music-room. Thanksfully, she got the interest back, so let's hope things go much better this time. The fact that she has a much more supportive boyfriend than her bastard ex only makes it much more likely to work out.

I definitely agree that it'll expand my musical network a lot. I'm not really the kind of person to go out in the evenings, even though people keep trying to make me... So expanding any kind of network is a bit of a challenge. So far, the only people I've jammed with were folks I've met online (some worked out better than others), but if I can learn where the best local musicians hang out, it might be worth going to those places from time to time. Not too often, of course. It's better to take it easy and actually get used to not being at home all the time when not working, buying groceries, shopping for gear or walking the dogs.

Maybe if the jam goes well, I might want to invite my "road crew" out to celebrate it? Playing on a stage in front of people for the first time is a huge milestone after all, right?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 15
haghj500
haghj500
01/19/2015 5:29 am
Agreed.

It would be great if the two of you could start jamming together. Motivational, great learning experience and all that stuff. It is a great way to work on timing.

To my ears the piano is the ultimate instrument.
If you get someone behind it that is a master at playing it and connecting with the crowd the sky is the limit. When I was a kid I was a paper boy and there was an old, to me then, lady on my route that was practicing when I knocked at the door to collect for the months paper. I commented on her playing and she asked me in to listen. I sat there for quite a while listening and more than once I felt tears running from my eyes that I never knew where coming. I asked her where she had played before and she said never just plays because she likes it.

Piano was the first instrument I learned to play. I took it for 2.5 years, stopping during the summer when I was six. My sister stopped so, so did I. Music was the first written language I learned to reed.

I have read you play piano, have you learned to read music play the piano?
# 16
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/19/2015 6:10 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Agreed.

It would be great if the two of you could start jamming together. Motivational, great learning experience and all that stuff. It is a great way to work on timing.

To my ears the piano is the ultimate instrument.
If you get someone behind it that is a master at playing it and connecting with the crowd the sky is the limit. When I was a kid I was a paper boy and there was an old, to me then, lady on my route that was practicing when I knocked at the door to collect for the months paper. I commented on her playing and she asked me in to listen. I sat there for quite a while listening and more than once I felt tears running from my eyes that I never knew where coming. I asked her where she had played before and she said never just plays because she likes it.

Piano was the first instrument I learned to play. I took it for 2.5 years, stopping during the summer when I was six. My sister stopped so, so did I. Music was the first written language I learned to reed.

I have read you play piano, have you learned to read music play the piano?

Not really. I mainly used it as a learning utility, to help myself visualize the intervals between different notes in scales. Although I can only play simple chords and melodies and "Smoke On The Water", it helps a lot to be able to see the scales on a different instrument than the guitar. Surprisingly enough, "Smoke On The Water" was actually fairly easy to transcribe to piano (we're talking a digital piano with a hundred different sounds, including Hammond-like Organ sounds, not an old-fashioned analog piano), once I found the right octave. I still know how to play it, so maybe I should show her, so we'll have at least one song to play together?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 17
haghj500
haghj500
01/19/2015 6:28 pm
Sounds like a good idea, most any 3 or 4 chord song you can play can also be shown to her. When you play an A note or chord the piano plays the same thing. Even House of the Rising Sun. I know it playing Em G A C Em G B.... If she switches to the same chords as you do, you can play it together as well.
# 18
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/19/2015 8:20 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500Sounds like a good idea, most any 3 or 4 chord song you can play can also be shown to her. When you play an A note or chord the piano plays the same thing. Even House of the Rising Sun. I know it playing Em G A C Em G B.... If she switches to the same chords as you do, you can play it together as well.

Indeed. Two of my favorite "Jam-Tunes", "Smoke On The Water" and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", are ridiculously easy to play, yet they can both sound pretty awesome if they are tight enough. Also, if she learns a couple of songs early, the chances of her sticking with it will increase. Which is why GT showed us how to play "House Of The Rising Sun" in the old Guitar Fundamentals. It's a timeless classic, most people should be able to sing along to it, and it's no challenge to play it (unless you do the arpeggiated version...). I wonder how "Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)" would sound with a single guitar and a piano?... Is there even a piano/keyboard/organ in the original?

I'm really hoping she sticks with it so we can try jamming. She knows another guitarist, I know a cool bassist, get all of us together in a room and throw in a good drummer. Bam. Instant jam (just add music) :)

Seriously, though. I'm gonna have to see if I can find a couple of easy songs with just some basic Major and Minor Chords, just to help my sister get back into it (and if I learn a couple of cool songs in the process, that's only good). I'm not sure what kind of music in particular she wants to play, though, so finding something that suits her tastes will be hard (I know for a fact that she loves the Beatles, that's it)...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 19
haghj500
haghj500
01/20/2015 1:40 am
I remember Chris being connected to a PianoTricks.com site. I just looked and there is still a PianoTricks.com site, I do not know if Chris is still connected to it. But if he is, your sister may get as much from that site as you have this one. It is great to have instant access even if it is just to watch and listen when first starting.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.