Once again in a band

maggior
maggior
12/20/2014 10:51 pm
It must be a huge relief to have your exams done for now! Hopefully things pan out with one of these band projects. I'm sure it feels good to have time for guitar again.

Keep us posted :). Can't wait to hear how it goes once you get to start playing with some of these guys.
# 1
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/22/2014 4:09 pm
It sure is nice to have some time to practice guitar again :)

I just got told that I can take the rest of the year off if I want to, since there won't be anyone else at work over christmas, so that only gives me even more time to practice than I expected. I've also got a few small ideas for some instrumental stuff, so maybe these next two weeks are the right time to at least start working on some of those ideas? Of course, getting the songs I need to learn for both bands down should be a higher priority, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't take some time to record some stuff or improve my technique and speed :)

I'm thinking of creating a backing track that follows the same chord-progression as one of the songs and try recording myself improvising over them, just to see how well I really have that song down :) Of course, any such recording would be shared here, so I could get some advice :)
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 2
maggior
maggior
12/22/2014 4:19 pm
Awesome!!! I'll certainly listen to anything you post.

Enjoy your extra time to practice and play!
# 3
compart1
compart1
12/22/2014 8:19 pm
Working on a backing track sounds like a good idea..
# 4
Kasperow
Kasperow
12/22/2014 8:59 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAwesome!!! I'll certainly listen to anything you post.

Enjoy your extra time to practice and play![/QUOTE]
Thanks. As long as you'll leave feedback, I'm happy :)

[QUOTE=compart1]Working on a backing track sounds like a good idea..

Yeah, I've already tried jamming along to the recordings, but I find it a bit difficult to improvise properly when there's another solo playing at the same time... So by making a backing track for the solo-section, I can get rid of the recorded solo and just loop it forever, and do multiple takes in the same recording. I already know how long the solo is expected to be, so I'll have a kind of time-frame for it. On the recording, they claim that the solo is 16 bars long, and the first 8 of which follow the same melody as the verse-part, except it starts to break out ofvthe pattern in Bar 8. That leaves 8 bars for improvising something, and believe me. Those 8 bars feel like nothing! It's maybe 15 seconds we're talking about, and that's if I slow it down. And since my speed is lacking, it comes more down to playing with attitude and getting into the groove than just playing fast. It's gonna be a fun experiment :)

And we can't just do an extended solo, because I feel that actually hurts the song more than it benefits it. I've tried it, and it actually feels like all momentum the song had built up before the solo just kinda vanishes into thin air after those 16 bars, if the solo is extended. Nobody wants that, right?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/02/2015 10:31 pm
Well, new year, new progress in my search for a band... The first rehearsal with the Punk Rock band is now officially arranged. It will take place in their rehearsal space right this Sunday, starting at 10:00 AM (at least, that's when it's scheduled to begin, but I'm guessing there will be some introductions first...). That means that at the time of writing, I have 34 hours and 30 minutes left until the rehearsal. That also means I'll be spending tomorrow more or less locked up in my practice room, just to make sure I have my parts down well enough.

Now, the music isn't exactly what my first choice would be if I could pick any genre and style in the world, but some of their songs (the six I've had access to for the past two months) have started to grow on me, so I guess it's just what you can call an acquired taste. Maybe if this rehearsal works out and they choose me as their new lead guitarist, I'll get to throw in some ideas for riffs and take the music in a different direction than their last lead guitarist? I've made it clear to them right from the get-go that I'm mainly inspired by the big Arena Rockers, and they're the ones who contacted me, knowing that in advance, so who knows? Maybe they want some of that in their songs? Or maybe they just picked me because I've only played for two and a half years? Who knows?

I'll try and get some of that recording stuff done tomorrow while I'm in my music-room. Although refining my playing on the songs I've learned for this band takes precedence over anything else. The nerves are starting to build up...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/04/2015 2:31 pm
Well, just got home from the rehearsal/audition and I think it went pretty well. First of all, Volume was no problem at all, which was actually one of my biggest concerns. I just plugged my Fender Mustang II in, asked the drummer to start playing something and let me know when he could hear my guitar clearly, and adjusted my volume that way. The other guitarist then turned the volume on his freaking Fractal Axe-FX II (I have no clue where he got the money for that...) to match my volume, and we took it from there.

So they asked me which of the songs I wanted to start with, and I just chose the one I was most confident with, and started playing the Clean part. The rest joined in at the right time. Then, once we hit the solo, things got a little out of hand, since I didn't know that he would take the solos the first time through (they had offered me the Lead Guitar-role after all). Thanksfully, I quickly noticed that he was also playing the solo, so I went back to Rhythm and they didn't seem to mind... I got to improvise something later, so I'm happy.

All in all, things went pretty good, and we agreed to meet again soon, so I'm fairly sure I've finally found a band. Now, I probably won't be playing with them at their first gig this year, since that would mean having to learn enough songs to fill a set-list in just 4 weeks, but I'll still be rehearsing with them :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 7
Steve Barrow
Steve Barrow
01/04/2015 5:07 pm
Well done man! The first rehearsal is always pretty daunting. Sounds like you're on the way. All the best, Steve
# 8
haghj500
haghj500
01/04/2015 6:33 pm
Sounds like things went pretty well.

How long did you guys practice together?

How many of the songs you were learning did you play?

Did they seems surprised or happy with what you did learn?

You happy with how the new pickups worked and did you get the sounds your were hoping for? Things can sound different playing with a full band.

Did you have moments that you felt like you were connecting with them.

What did you think of the drummer?

Do you have more songs to learn before the next practice?

What do you think of the singer?

Which guitar did you take to play with them?

Do you know how many songs they know that makes up their set list?

I'm not much of a letter writer but I'm full of questions...
# 9
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/04/2015 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500Sounds like things went pretty well.

How long did you guys practice together?[/QUOTE]
This time around, we practiced for just about 2 hours, but only because the Bassist had to leave after that.

Originally Posted by: haghj500How many of the songs you were learning did you play?[/QUOTE]
All three. Surprisingly enough, I actually managed to play the intro to one of their fastest songs fluently right there, despite never having pushed it beyond 75% speed when practicing alone...

Originally Posted by: haghj500Did they seems surprised or happy with what you did learn?[/QUOTE]
They seemed satisfied, at least. So that's probably a yes to that one :)

Originally Posted by: haghj500You happy with how the new pickups worked and did you get the sounds your were hoping for? Things can sound different playing with a full band.[/QUOTE]
They were on fire! Not literally, but I hope you get the point. The Oil City Pickups I have in my Les Paul just kicked ass. Hell, the other guitarist was blown away by how great they sounded! And he plays a custom home-built guitar that he created from scratch with plenty of money for great materials (except the fretboard)!

Originally Posted by: haghj500Did you have moments that you felt like you were connecting with them.[/QUOTE]
Not really. There were a few times where it just sounded like we had been rehearsing together for years, but I didn't really feel like I was connected to any of them at any point...

[QUOTE=haghj500]What did you think of the drummer?

F***ing good. One of the best drummers I've played with yet, and one of the best drummers in an upcoming band that I've ever heard. If things continue with this band, I'll have to ask him if he wants to help me out with my solo-career on the side, by delivering some drumming on a couple of tracks :)

[QUOTE=haghj500]Do you have more songs to learn before the next practice?

Nope. Or rather, I didn't get any instruction on how to play the last 3 songs I've been able to listen to, so I'll just keep rehearsing the ones I already know and maybe try and figure one of the remaining songs out by ear.

[QUOTE=haghj500]What do you think of the singer?

I've heard better singers, but by Punk Rock-standards, he's pretty okay. Not the one I'd pick if I could put together whatever band I wanted, but for this band, he's okay.

Why no interest in the Bassist? Not that it matters, since he's only number 3 on my list of favorite Bassists out of the ones I've played with, but he's still an integral part of the band.

[QUOTE=haghj500]Which guitar did you take to play with them?

I brought two guitars. My Les Paul, as mentioned earlier, and my SG, in case I had a popped string on the LP... That didn't happen, so the SG didn't get any exercise today... I thought of bringing my ES-345, but then I realized that it just doesn't do harder music as well as it does classic rock and blues.

[QUOTE=haghj500]Do you know how many songs they know that makes up their set list?

Well, I know they have 11 recorded songs, 6 of which I've been able to hear, and since the show on January 31st is late during an evening with multiple bands on the bill, I think they'll be playing for an hour or so, which with their songs translates to something like 10-13 songs... Too many to learn in 4 weeks without sacrificing technique-practice time :)

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer them :)

In the meantime, I'll try and get some technical practice done now. I've been leaving that out just to learn those three songs...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 10
maggior
maggior
01/05/2015 3:40 am
Awesome news!! The first rehearsal is always daunting as others mentioned. The more you play together and get to know eachother musically, it gets more comfortable.

It's great that you have a great drummer. They are hard to come by and can really make the band and tie it all together.

Hopefully it continues to go well for you!!
# 11
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/05/2015 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorAwesome news!! The first rehearsal is always daunting as others mentioned. The more you play together and get to know eachother musically, it gets more comfortable.

It's great that you have a great drummer. They are hard to come by and can really make the band and tie it all together.

Hopefully it continues to go well for you!!

Thanks. You probably know all about that, or at least more than I do :)

Now, everything's back to normal. I'm back at work, have had at least a dozen ideas for riffs or song-parts today so far, and absolutely no way to record them properly... It's nice enough that I have plenty of ideas. It's not so nice that those ideas will have sunken into oblivion by the time I get home. That part's just annoying :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 12
maggior
maggior
01/05/2015 2:50 pm
It's hard getting back to "real life" after a long break during the holidays!

If you have riff ideas, you can always try humming them into your phone to record them. I think as long as you capture the essence of the idea, you'll be able to capture better on your guitar later. Ideas like that are very fleeting...I've had them disappear in seconds. You get interrupted and poof, they are gone.

I really enjoy listening to a good drummer, especially live. If I had to stop playing guitar, I'd take up drums.
# 13
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/05/2015 4:10 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorIt's hard getting back to "real life" after a long break during the holidays!

If you have riff ideas, you can always try humming them into your phone to record them. I think as long as you capture the essence of the idea, you'll be able to capture better on your guitar later. Ideas like that are very fleeting...I've had them disappear in seconds. You get interrupted and poof, they are gone.

Hm... I could do that. Or perhaps I could try writing down the riffs as tab and play them when I get home. I've had a bit of luck with that in the past, so I think it's worth a shot :)

I actually find it surprisingly easy to get back to "real life". It really just feels like it's some sort of routine that's continued in my head while I was away for the last 3 months (10 weeks of which was spent in the least inspiring place I've ever been stuck in...). It's actually quite liberating, to be honest...

Well, now that I'm back home, let's see if I can remember any of the cool riffs I came up with...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 14
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/08/2015 2:57 pm
Sadly, it seems I was a bit too positive about the rehearsal with the Punk Rock band... Their singer just texted me, and said they have decided to, for now, continue as a trio, until they're past their upcoming series of gigs, as there's simply not enough time to teach me the whole setlist. They didn't have anything negative to say about me. On the contrary, it sounded like they actually wanted to play with me, so that's pretty nice. I did make sure to ask him to notify me when the position becomes open, though. I'll make sure to keep the three of their songs that I know rehearsed just in case... And try learning the last three I have heard by ear... It'll be well worth it if they contact me later :)

On the bright side, I have more opportunities in scope. I haven't heard from the other bassist and guitarist in a while now, so I'm going to try and contact them and ask if they're still up for it. And playing with the Punk Rock band got my creativity flowing again, so if nothing else, I got something good out of it :D

Maybe I should try messing around with some of the Instrumental ideas I've been having. I'm not that much into instrumental music, but who knows? One thing's for sure, though. Until something actually happens with my band-search, I'll have to spend some time on technique, theory and speed building...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 15
maggior
maggior
01/08/2015 4:58 pm
Sorry to see you going through this again and again. Sounds like it was a positive experience overall and you have a good attitude about it. One of these days something will stick...just keep at it!!

It's not been all roses with my band either...we are still searching for a singer. There was a flurry of interest before the holidays. I'm hoping that interest will pick up again. I feel like we are running out of time. Before we know it, summer will be here which is when we plan to start gigging. In the meantime we are doing what we can and we'll just see what happens.

The band thing isn't easy, that's for sure :).
# 16
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/08/2015 8:54 pm
Yeah, I'm trying to keep a positive attitude. After all, there are plenty of other musicians to play with, both locally and nationally. I already have a bassist lined up for a band, if it ever gets off the ground, which I've pretty much had since May 2014. Now I've also found a great drummer I want to play with, though I'm not sure if he's up for playing Arena Rock. Vocals could be a bit harder to get the right guy for...

In any case, I'll have to check out some technique lessons here and see if I can find some great speed-building exercises so my speed can come up a few notches... And get a few pointers from Christopher on Music Theory. As far as I know, he's the biggest expert on that area GT has. And in the meantime, I can suplement my practicing with some improvisation over backing tracks and song-writing. Speaking of which, I am currently working on some instrumental stuff, using some of the ideas I've been having in the last few days... It's not very complex, it just sound nice. I can't say for sure how long it's gonna take, since I first need to figure out the tempo, lay down a rocking drum-track, record the riff, figure out the coolest Bass-line to go with the riff and then record the lead-guitar parts in multiple takes and use the best things from the multiple takes... I expect it to take a good deal of time, but if it sounds good, I think that's fine.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 17
haghj500
haghj500
01/09/2015 5:19 am
Kasperow,

In the Guitar Basics area there is a thread started by RichieO called Muscle Memory. A person that goes by maltmn the sixth reply down added some information you might be looking for right now. Maybe youā€™ve already read through it.
# 18
Kasperow
Kasperow
01/10/2015 11:13 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Kasperow,

In the Guitar Basics area there is a thread started by RichieO called Muscle Memory. A person that goes by maltmn the sixth reply down added some information you might be looking for right now. Maybe youā€™ve already read through it.

Yeah, I read it just a few days ago, actually. Really well-written post. I'm going to re-read it the next couple of times before I practice, possibly during warm-up... If it helps me build up my speed and technique, I'm happy. My bends are starting to get pretty damn close to spot-on now, so I'm making some progress, at least :)
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 19
haghj500
haghj500
01/10/2015 6:29 pm
For working on bends.
Do you ever strike the string as you bend it, then without striking the string again slide up two frets and bend up again and keep the string ringing?

It makes a cool sound and helps you learn how to keep a string chiming out burning the bend. At first it's like right you can't do that but after a while you can get two or three bends moving up after just one strike of the string. It's worth trying.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.