total newbie

Tinman2
Tinman2
10/10/2012 8:18 pm
Hi, I've never played guitar...before I jump in and pay for the full membership, can anyone tell me if this is good for beginners? Does it go over all the basics? I have not played any musical instruments at all, but would love to learn the guitar! I don't even own a guitar yet! The free lessons seem to be aimed at peeps that can play, I wish I could see more of the beginner lessons in the free ones. I do see that this site offers a money back guarantee, but don't want to go thru the hassles of getting my money back if it is not for beginners.
# 1
johnsag
Full Access
johnsag
Full Access
10/11/2012 12:22 am
Hey Tinman2, I was in your shoes last year. When I first registered, I wasn't able to see all the lessons and see what the total learning structure was. I think there is a 14 day free trial you can try first to get everything before you decide to take the plunge. Try google that. I was a newbie also. It didn't take long for me to realize this website is probably the best for learning the guitar. Even for beginners, the core learning system will take you right from the start as to how to hold the guitar, what is a pick and how to use it all the way through all of the fundamentals of guitar. Thanks to these excellent online instructors and my own dedication, I am sooo much better than I was last year thanks to this website. Hope this helps.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/11/2012 12:28 am
It's my opinion that Guitar Tricks provides exactly what a beginner needs (and should look for) through the Core Learning System. Specifically, Guitar Fundamentals Level 1 and Level 2 are ideal for beginners, IMO.

I played a few decades ago and took lessons for two or three years in high school. After not playing for 35 years, I started over with GT. The GT courses rapidly took me past where those earlier lessons did and my playing level now far surpasses anything I achieved before. The Level 1 courses compare *very* favorably to those earlier private lessons.

IMO, GT is *well* worth the money and is great for beginners. It's a low-cost gamble...a month of lessons cost about the same as a half-hour private lesson...check it out and let us know what you think.

john
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3

10/11/2012 12:18 pm
I agree with my fellow GT friends as well. I started playing guitar 2 years ago and first joined up with GT. Although I left to try other methods learning and believe me I tried them all. Books , group lessons , books , Jamplay then private lessons

I finally came back to Guitar tricks a while ago and I have to say I am finally content with it. I bought a 1 year sub and now I can study from the luxury and comfort of my home and I'm enjoying the Guitar fundamentals 1 course with Chris.

Taking my time and asking plenty of questions. I am sure you'll like it here.
Don't make the same mistake and try all those other methods I did for 2 years.
All that happened was I wasted more money and came very close to quitting guitar period.

Guitar tricks has motivated me to keep pushing forward and to be patient :)
# 4
andrius.b
andrius.b
10/11/2012 7:18 pm
Before I say anything else, let me tell you this: if you want to learn guitar register on GuitarTricks. Simple.

You wouldn't believe how many different sites I have tried, and I even bought some DVDs. Many of them were quite messy.

When I got the full access at GuitarTricks, I was amazed at how well everything is organised in the Guitar Fundamentals series. They take you from someone who doesn't know ANYTHING about the guitar to someone who is ready to start learning songs and more specific guitar styles. The Fundamentals course gives you the main foundation. Then you can progress to the next level and take either a rock, blues or country course. And they are absolutelly amazing. These will take you to a level where you can actually play some very nice songs. Then, you can move on further and start learning other techniques, styles and more complex songs.

In short, GuitarTricks have everything a beginner or intermediate player needs to progress in their guitar learning journey. And the forums are great! You will get answers to any question very quickly. Actually, you can even film how you play, upload the vid to youtube, make it private and share the link on the forums, so that other members could check out your technique and give you tips and advice.

The little money I paid for the subscription was probably the best money I have ever spend in relation to education and learning.

Just give it a go.
# 5
Carlos15
Carlos15
10/11/2012 7:47 pm
Plain and simple. Join. I have played for 25 plus years just self taught. Knowledge wise I am a beginner, sure I know quite a few chords, can strum and sing some songs but always hit a wall and quit playing. I have been a member for about a month and have learned so so much its unbelievable. My wife snuck into my man and dog cave last night and told me I was getting a lot better. Of course I asked her who she was and what had she done with my wife. Seriously, if your serious about learning join. Beats the hell out watching television.
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/11/2012 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Carlos15 My wife snuck into my man and dog cave last night and told me I was getting a lot better. Of course I asked her who she was and what had she done with my wife.

I'm a little jealous...guess I need some more practice. My Lady asks, 'How'd the practice go?' but she hasn't told me I'm getting better...at least, not better on guitar. ;)
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
Carlos15
Carlos15
10/14/2012 2:41 am
Too funny. I've never been there but I hear your winters get mighty cold in Montana. You probably get more practice time than me.
# 8
pattyb5
pattyb5
10/22/2012 4:57 pm
Originally Posted by: Tinman2Hi, I've never played guitar...before I jump in and pay for the full membership, can anyone tell me if this is good for beginners? Does it go over all the basics? I have not played any musical instruments at all, but would love to learn the guitar! I don't even own a guitar yet! The free lessons seem to be aimed at peeps that can play, I wish I could see more of the beginner lessons in the free ones. I do see that this site offers a money back guarantee, but don't want to go thru the hassles of getting my money back if it is not for beginners.

Carlos,

I think there is a ton of stuff for beginners. The song lessons here are awesome and the main reason I am here. Although the other content (from what I've seen is great, as well). My advice would be to pick some of the easier songs and hash them out. NO better way to learn and keep yourself motivated. I know one time I took a break and all I had to do was cancel my payment through paypal. Very easy. I'm going to be here for a long time because the instruction is first class and I love the format of the videos/tabs, etc. Don't give up and have fun!! Good luck to you. Little steps my friend. :)

pb
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.