new member?

ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/19/2012 9:23 pm
Hi, what clinched by decision to sign up was a link from a website with a visited to get the guitar chords for a song. The link stated that joining this program would give me access to a tutorial specific for that song. I cannot find any such thing. I feel duped. I have looked under the songs list. Is there anywhere I should be looking that I may be missing?
# 1
Bob11
Bob11
04/19/2012 11:46 pm
I don't think you have been duped, it's just the song is not here. Don't know what song your looking for, maybe ask Guitartricks to consider doing it. I've been trying to find someone to show me Neil Youngs Harvest Moon. I do believe Guitartricks should look into more Neil Young song.

He has said that he tried to write alot of his songs for beginners. He said, it doesn't matter if you sound like crap. Just keep playing.

Sorry, went on a little rant.
# 2
ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/20/2012 12:07 am
Thanks for the reply. And I loved the rant, which by the way was nothing! I can rant! I love what Neil Young said, that is so cool. Makes me like him even more. And gives me incentive to keep on!
The song I was looking for is called "Breathe" by Maria McKee; so a more obscure artist; which is why I was excited for the site to say "learn how to play this song", click here; and you come to guitar tricks. Then the guy on the video talks about how they can teach you all this songs you have looked up on guitar tabs....
Oh well.
Do you find the site helpful?
# 3
compart1
compart1
04/20/2012 2:03 pm
Hi ellenolenska...
Welcome to GuitarTricks.. Sorry to hear your not pleased with the site.
Your purchase if guaranteed for a refund.
You can request a song for consideration, but he has to be licensed from the songs owner which could take a long time or never be approved. You may be lucky and find someone else on the site working on that song that would share thier knowledge.
I searched a couple of popular tad sites and only found this on one site
D- D- C D-
F Bb F C
and the other site had nothing.

As for being dubed, at one time there was a dubious site that had the GuitarTricks claim. My lack of computer expertise does not allow me to explain, but I think it would be nearly inpossible for Guitar tricks to list all the popular tune that they could teach you, but the web sites Auto function inputs your song title quirey into the GuitarTricks box. Hence any song would be listed as a song they could teach you.

They can how ever teach you how to play guitar, and show styles of famous and popular guitarist.

That's my rant and I hope it helps you to follow guitar quest
Gordon
# 4
ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/20/2012 8:17 pm
Wow - thank you Gordon for all your effort!
I see how there could be some kind of "vagueness" that could support each side.
When the site says "learn how to play this song", I am assuming they mean, they have something "speciific" for this song. The other argument would be that they are saying you can learn to play the guitar to be able to play this song. I might write to the site (not that they will care) and tell them that there wording is a little misleading, as actually, as your example is kind of alluding to, guitar tricks has some kind of "contract" with this site to refer people to them, but they are not necessarily in control of the the wording, etc. that site might lose.

This is what I get for looking for an easy fix! If I was an advanced enough player I wouldn't even be looking for such a thing. Thank you for looking up those chords, I found those also. Again, I am still I suppose a not very skilled musician, I was not sure what to do as they did not show the chords throughout the song. Now, all the real guitar players I know would probably just be able to listen to the song and figure it out!

I'm just a recreational guitar player, I sing, and my goal is to be able to strum some chords to accompany myself, so I'm not dependent on someone else to play for me. I like to go to local open jams/mic nights, and I tend to sing more "obscure" songs, and usually no one knows them, so I just sing by myself, which is a little boring! I'm not good or experienced enough to get involved with any of the "real" musicians, and I'm a little intimidated by all the talented people performing. But I enjoy it, so I don't care!

Now I went on...! Anyway, guitar tricks does appear to have a lot of resources, and I was leary about learning from the computer, but it does seem like you can pick up a lot from watching the instructors, and for the price, you could have as many lessons a day as you want! So, I might give it a try. Do you find it helpful?
I have been impressed with the prompt and very kind responses I got to my post.
Thank you again.
ps.. I think sometimes, at least when singing, it is better when doing covers to just put your own "twist" on the song, rather than trying to sound like the original artist, then you are just directly compared to them, which in my case is not a good thing! I've heard some, oh what would be considered "hard rock" songs, for instance, done by a singer with an acoustic guitar, in a completely different style, and if done right it can turn out kind of cool. I mean, I actually am not crazy about her version, but look what Adele did with that Cure song, you'd never think of her doing a Cure song!
I'm also a writer (can you tell). Another reason to learn guitar. I've never written songs before but am starting to dabble in it.
# 5
compart1
compart1
04/21/2012 1:03 pm
Hi again Ellen..
If you are intersted in Maria McKee, heres a link to check out..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_McKee

Her musical genre is so diverse and maybe she is not as obsure as you believe.
For help from Guitar Tricks, you might want to post to Lisa McCormick or look through the Instructors bio's
Hope your having fun with Guitartricks
Gordon
# 6
fairway8
fairway8
04/26/2012 12:31 pm
Maria McKee is actually a fairly large artist. Lone Justice had a number of hits. She herself actually wrote the song 'A Good Heart' which I think was a number one hit in the UK for Feargal Sharkey ex member of the Undertones.
Most of the guitar work in Lone Justice was Tony Gilkyson an exceptional rock country player. He went on to replace Billy Zoom in the band 'X'.
X stuff really shows his talent as a very accomplished punk rock and rockabilly player.

Phil
# 7
ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/28/2012 7:57 am
Oh - I think I didn't really explain well what I was saying about Maria, I am very familiar with her work, Lone Justice, etc.; I love love love her, and while I don't do her justice, her singing style and range work well for me, plus I like her lyrics. I am new at getting into the music scene, and was kind of dependent on my now ex boyfriend guitar player who was a big Maria McKee fan, but with him left my guitar. I find when I go to open jams, etc. nobody knows Maria McKee. The guitar players all seem to be more "rockers", like AC/DC stuff, and have no interest in what (I"m sure they consider my "chick music"). So that was what I was getting at by obscure. Everyone knows The Rolling Stones, etc., but I know a lot of people not really into music who have never heard the Maria McKee, they don't hear her on the radio (not here). That was what I was getting at, if that makes any sense.
But hey, thanks for the info. I'll keep plugging away. Funny, on one of her live recordings, she says, I don't play guitar very well, but that's a work in progress! Well, she's way ahead of me!
# 8
ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/28/2012 8:07 am
Now, this will really show my ignorance, but hey, we all have to start somewhere....and I'm going to learn the darn guitar so I never have to depend on a man holding one!

The tabs you showed: does D- mean D minor?
# 9
compart1
compart1
04/28/2012 3:31 pm
Hi Ellen..
I copied what I found on the tabs page.. I assume the dash sign equals a minor chord.. I have never seen a minor chord written that way in tabs. You can always try the tune in major or minor. MAjor chord will give a bright happy felling well the minor will give you a heaver or sadder tone..
I hope this helps..
Gordon
# 10
greg65
greg65
04/28/2012 10:05 pm
hi, i'm new here as well, 911 guitar tabs have some of her songs on tab you may want to look at that site http://www.911tabs.com some of there tabs are ok some are down right horrible i hope they have what your looking for
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.