View post (new member?)

View thread

ellenolenska
ellenolenska
04/20/2012 8:17 pm
Wow - thank you Gordon for all your effort!
I see how there could be some kind of "vagueness" that could support each side.
When the site says "learn how to play this song", I am assuming they mean, they have something "speciific" for this song. The other argument would be that they are saying you can learn to play the guitar to be able to play this song. I might write to the site (not that they will care) and tell them that there wording is a little misleading, as actually, as your example is kind of alluding to, guitar tricks has some kind of "contract" with this site to refer people to them, but they are not necessarily in control of the the wording, etc. that site might lose.

This is what I get for looking for an easy fix! If I was an advanced enough player I wouldn't even be looking for such a thing. Thank you for looking up those chords, I found those also. Again, I am still I suppose a not very skilled musician, I was not sure what to do as they did not show the chords throughout the song. Now, all the real guitar players I know would probably just be able to listen to the song and figure it out!

I'm just a recreational guitar player, I sing, and my goal is to be able to strum some chords to accompany myself, so I'm not dependent on someone else to play for me. I like to go to local open jams/mic nights, and I tend to sing more "obscure" songs, and usually no one knows them, so I just sing by myself, which is a little boring! I'm not good or experienced enough to get involved with any of the "real" musicians, and I'm a little intimidated by all the talented people performing. But I enjoy it, so I don't care!

Now I went on...! Anyway, guitar tricks does appear to have a lot of resources, and I was leary about learning from the computer, but it does seem like you can pick up a lot from watching the instructors, and for the price, you could have as many lessons a day as you want! So, I might give it a try. Do you find it helpful?
I have been impressed with the prompt and very kind responses I got to my post.
Thank you again.
ps.. I think sometimes, at least when singing, it is better when doing covers to just put your own "twist" on the song, rather than trying to sound like the original artist, then you are just directly compared to them, which in my case is not a good thing! I've heard some, oh what would be considered "hard rock" songs, for instance, done by a singer with an acoustic guitar, in a completely different style, and if done right it can turn out kind of cool. I mean, I actually am not crazy about her version, but look what Adele did with that Cure song, you'd never think of her doing a Cure song!
I'm also a writer (can you tell). Another reason to learn guitar. I've never written songs before but am starting to dabble in it.