Approach to Learning

Bonafan1
Bonafan1
09/29/2010 6:31 pm
Ok, I am halfway through Fundamentals 2 - just starting to alternate between chords and scales. I can play the major and minor scales we've learned so far, although the F still give me a very hard time, and B to a lesser extent, but overall doing okay. I have to admit I am anxious to start playing some songs, but will be patient to learn right. Question - is continuing through Fundamentals and only working on technique advised, or can I start to learn some songs now too. I've been told alot of Neil Young, Dylan, Eagles etc (stuff I like too). are pretty basic and I am guessing I could probably play some of that music based on the chiords I know???

If learning some songs is okay, any suggestions on where to get some good beginner music? With respect, the Songs section here is somewhat limited for a beginner and I am just wondering if there is more relatively easy music out there for me to experiment with
# 1
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
09/30/2010 12:10 pm
Hi
Been playing 14 months and have approached practice this way from the start. I tend to have a technique session daily but also a separate session where I play and sing. There are lots of great songs that can be played with three to five chords depending on your tastes in music. I currently play songs by Dylan, Springsteen, Tim Hardin, Johnny Cash and quite a few more plus older pop songs and traditional songs. I tend to get by with strumming and finger picking patterns which are not difficult with practice. F can be a problem if it turns up in a chord progression. I have just mastered the F bar chord but before that i got by with variations of F on four strings. Youtube is full of how to play this or that song clips and chord tabs can be found easily on Google. So i play songs and as my technique improves I add more notes or ideas to the songs to make them more intereting, hammer-ons and so on. Hope that helps I think you have to be patient and with practice over a period you begin to see the progress..
# 2
Bonafan1
Bonafan1
09/30/2010 12:56 pm
Thanks for the reply. I'll look for some songs on Google. You mention Dylan and Springsteen - like them both. Any specific songs you suggest I look for - the easier the better - I don't finger pick yet and really only know the open major chords and a few basic minor chords taught on here so far in Fundamentals so easy is KEY. Thx.
# 3
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/30/2010 1:08 pm
Originally Posted by: KeithMangasOk, I am halfway through Fundamentals 2 - just starting to alternate between chords and scales. I can play the major and minor scales we've learned so far, although the F still give me a very hard time, and B to a lesser extent, but overall doing okay. I have to admit I am anxious to start playing some songs, but will be patient to learn right. Question - is continuing through Fundamentals and only working on technique advised, or can I start to learn some songs now too. I've been told alot of Neil Young, Dylan, Eagles etc (stuff I like too). are pretty basic and I am guessing I could probably play some of that music based on the chiords I know???

If learning some songs is okay, any suggestions on where to get some good beginner music? With respect, the Songs section here is somewhat limited for a beginner and I am just wondering if there is more relatively easy music out there for me to experiment with

Definitely dive into learning some songs asap. That's what you are learning for, right? The bands already mentioned are some good choices. To a degree, you should be able to just listen to a song and decide if it is obviously complicated, or possibly something suitable to your skills.

One thing I did first learning was flip thru guitar books (with the score and the chord grids written in) and jump on any song that I knew the beat and had only a few chords. As I learned, I'd just let the song choices gradually become more complicated.

The Internet was still AARPAnet back then, but I guess these days you can Google up any song ideas you have and check it out. There's so much tab out there though, it's hard to find chord grids, which I personally feel are the single most enabling method to explain a guitar chord.

Good luck!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 4
samata
samata
09/30/2010 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: Razbo

The Internet was still AARPAnet back then,

Okay....I just have to comment on that and say that.....well, I'm not going to comment on that! :D
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 5
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/01/2010 3:09 am
Learning songs is always a great way to make the process of learning more enjoyable and relatable. I would say go for it as there are tons of easy songs out there for beginners and also there are a ton of books and resources where "easy" versions of songs are written out for beginners. While technique and the basics are crucial, always make room for music in your routine that you like. That is the ultimate motivation I feel; the ability to play the music that inspired you to pick up the guitar in the first place.

Best of luck! :o
Douglas Showalter
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
10/01/2010 11:40 am
Originally Posted by: samataOkay....I just have to comment on that and say that.....well, I'm not going to comment on that! :D

Yeah, I'm showing my age... Shall I rant? "Back in my day we had to type the numeric IP addresses in to get anywhere. Most sites were text only, and a graphic browser was largely unnecessary. AND we had to surf 3 miles each way... Uphill!" :D

/hijack
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
samata
samata
10/01/2010 5:21 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboYeah, I'm showing my age... Shall I rant? "Back in my day we had to type the numeric IP addresses in to get anywhere. Most sites were text only, and a graphic browser was largely unnecessary. AND we had to surf 3 miles each way... Uphill!" :D

/hijack

lol! Yeah, well....I was just telling someone the other day that when I started in computer support, I used to work on Lantastic Networks running on Arcnet, and PCs literally didn't have Hard Deives. So, I feel your pain.

(and, we are blaming YOU for hijacking this thread and not me, right? :) )
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 8
Victory Hil
Victory Hil
10/01/2010 10:22 pm
Ha. Good one.

Me? I learned how to play guitar by ear when I was nine, was limited to certain chord structures and progressions, so by the age of 25 I put the guitar down and never picked it up again. Now, YEARS later, I'm afraid to venture into anything with guts to it. Even the approach to learning that I've taken is rather silly... jumping around from one beginner's lesson plan to another.

From what I can remember of my young, adventure filled guitar playing days, I went from learning 4 chords G, D, C and F to playing songs right away and growing from there.

Wish I was 9 again... um... er... I mean 19...

;)

What advice would I give someone just starting out now? Venture out. Be wild. Play whatever you can, whenever you get a chance. Music is what you make of it. Never know where it will take you... the only boundaries you'll find are the ones you place on yourself.

:)
# 9
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
10/02/2010 4:05 pm
Ok, no problem.
Dylan
Blowin in the Wind.3 chords. G/C/D or C/F/G just to name two progressions.
Times they are a changin. 5 chords G/Em/C/Am/D
Springsteen
Tougher than the Rest 4 chords G/D/C/Em
Tim Hardin
Reason to believe 6 chords C/G/F/D7/F/Am

I have loads more but that should give you something to build up your confidence. Before I mastered the Full F chord I played a kind of Fmaj7 chord with these songs which worked ok. I just played the middle four strings.
First finger first fret second string,middlefinger second fret third string,ring finger third fret fourth string.This does work much better with a finger pick though. Also if the F is a problem you can change the chord progression to leave it out and if that doesn't suit your vocal range use a capo. Hope that helps and good luck.
# 10
Victory Hil
Victory Hil
10/03/2010 3:54 pm
Thanks bunnahowen!

I used to play "Blowin' in the wind" way back when.

I'm going to try and work on the other suggestions too. (I need to integrate some songs back into my sessions as well).

I look forward to more (whenever you have a minute).

:)
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.