View post (Approach to Learning)

View thread

Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
09/30/2010 1:08 pm
Originally Posted by: KeithMangasOk, I am halfway through Fundamentals 2 - just starting to alternate between chords and scales. I can play the major and minor scales we've learned so far, although the F still give me a very hard time, and B to a lesser extent, but overall doing okay. I have to admit I am anxious to start playing some songs, but will be patient to learn right. Question - is continuing through Fundamentals and only working on technique advised, or can I start to learn some songs now too. I've been told alot of Neil Young, Dylan, Eagles etc (stuff I like too). are pretty basic and I am guessing I could probably play some of that music based on the chiords I know???

If learning some songs is okay, any suggestions on where to get some good beginner music? With respect, the Songs section here is somewhat limited for a beginner and I am just wondering if there is more relatively easy music out there for me to experiment with

Definitely dive into learning some songs asap. That's what you are learning for, right? The bands already mentioned are some good choices. To a degree, you should be able to just listen to a song and decide if it is obviously complicated, or possibly something suitable to your skills.

One thing I did first learning was flip thru guitar books (with the score and the chord grids written in) and jump on any song that I knew the beat and had only a few chords. As I learned, I'd just let the song choices gradually become more complicated.

The Internet was still AARPAnet back then, but I guess these days you can Google up any song ideas you have and check it out. There's so much tab out there though, it's hard to find chord grids, which I personally feel are the single most enabling method to explain a guitar chord.

Good luck!
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.