View post (Approach to Learning)

View thread

bunnahowen
bunnahowen
09/30/2010 12:10 pm
Hi
Been playing 14 months and have approached practice this way from the start. I tend to have a technique session daily but also a separate session where I play and sing. There are lots of great songs that can be played with three to five chords depending on your tastes in music. I currently play songs by Dylan, Springsteen, Tim Hardin, Johnny Cash and quite a few more plus older pop songs and traditional songs. I tend to get by with strumming and finger picking patterns which are not difficult with practice. F can be a problem if it turns up in a chord progression. I have just mastered the F bar chord but before that i got by with variations of F on four strings. Youtube is full of how to play this or that song clips and chord tabs can be found easily on Google. So i play songs and as my technique improves I add more notes or ideas to the songs to make them more intereting, hammer-ons and so on. Hope that helps I think you have to be patient and with practice over a period you begin to see the progress..