GT Solo Assignment - May 2008

Superhuman
Superhuman
05/25/2008 11:57 am
Hey Spedzar, just saw your post and had to check your take out. Really cool playing man, sure there are a few bum notes in there and a bit of cheese in places but it fits the bnacking perfectly and as you say the hook stays with you! Have it flying around my head at the moment, I actually thought the panned part was cool too and the strange little looped section before you come back in with the harmonised motif at the end. If you have the time I would love to hear those very minor bum notes fixed but then again they don't detract from it at all. Great speed runs in there too, has a very unusual flavour to it - I like it!

Won't be able to submit anything this month, have my college finals in two weeks - damn course I have to do at weekends as an (im)mature student. Look forward to hearing all of the takes.
# 1
Spedzar
Spedzar
05/25/2008 9:57 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHey Spedzar, just saw your post and had to check your take out. Really cool playing man, sure there are a few bum notes in there and a bit of cheese in places but it fits the bnacking perfectly and as you say the hook stays with you! Have it flying around my head at the moment, I actually thought the panned part was cool too and the strange little looped section before you come back in with the harmonised motif at the end. If you have the time I would love to hear those very minor bum notes fixed but then again they don't detract from it at all. Great speed runs in there too, has a very unusual flavour to it - I like it!

Won't be able to submit anything this month, have my college finals in two weeks - damn course I have to do at weekends as an (im)mature student. Look forward to hearing all of the takes.

Haha thanks mate, it was all I could manage in about 4 hours yesterday. Now I'm hurrying to write this before I jump in the car to work and start the Monday - Friday daily grind (working at the Social Security office - we call it "Centrelink" in Australia) sorting out customer's dramas. So there will be little time to improve I'm afraid but glad you enjoyed - I had fun recording that! Cheers! :)
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
05/25/2008 10:45 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarHaha thanks mate, it was all I could manage in about 4 hours yesterday. Now I'm hurrying to write this before I jump in the car to work and start the Monday - Friday daily grind (working at the Social Security office - we call it "Centrelink" in Australia) sorting out customer's dramas. So there will be little time to improve I'm afraid but glad you enjoyed - I had fun recording that! Cheers! :)

Haha.. I work on the other side of the problems at Credit Union of Australia. So we get all the people ringing us on "pay day" wondering where their "pension" is..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
Spedzar
Spedzar
05/26/2008 8:35 am
Originally Posted by: light487Haha.. I work on the other side of the problems at Credit Union of Australia. So we get all the people ringing us on "pay day" wondering where their "pension" is..

What a crack-up! Yeah they come to me first and say "Where's me bloody pension? It ain't gone in yet"... then I go into their record and say "Well sir, our computer system shows that you have in fact been paid today, so what I would suggest is that you now take this up with the financial institution" - and that, my friend is where you come in... ;)

BTW thanks again for the cool BT - it's the "happiest" soloing I've done in a while...
# 4
mpaq
mpaq
05/28/2008 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarHaha thanks mate, it was all I could manage in about 4 hours yesterday.

Really enjoyed your track this month...love the sound of your guitar especially the way you let the notes ring and then die off, not sure what you call that but sounds really cool. Wish i could "throw" something together in a few hours like this :)
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
05/28/2008 10:54 pm
There's only a few days left this month.. I'm not seeing as many submissions this month.. may be everyone has exams or something. I'll keep the thread open until Monday the 2nd just in case someone decides to use the weekend to submit a solo.

The June 2008 solo is basically finished but I am trying to get a more pleasing drum track. I can hear what I want in my head but it's just A LOT of fiddling around with the midi to do it, so it may just end up being a collection of standard heavy metal drum loops that change to suit the section of the music.

It's certainly not my preferred style of music so it's going to be challenging to do a decent solo over the top of it but I can appreciate that my preferred style is not other peoples' style. :D Also.. do people want this next one to be a little shorter than the last track? Like somewhere between 1.5 and 2mins? (or even shorter.. may be 1 to 1.5mins..) or do another one about 2.5 to 3mins again? Let me know..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
Spedzar
Spedzar
05/29/2008 12:43 am
Originally Posted by: mpaqReally enjoyed your track this month...love the sound of your guitar especially the way you let the notes ring and then die off, not sure what you call that but sounds really cool. Wish i could "throw" something together in a few hours like this :)

Cheers mpaq!

All those years of locking myself in the bedroom and shredding for hours on end as a kid are finally paying off :rolleyes:

As for the technique you mentioned (I think I know what you are talking about) it's simply playing some open string harmonics, letting them ring for a second and then going into a slow but controlled dive using the whammy bar. I used it more in a compositional sense than consciously to add the technique. The melody just seemed to call for dive at that point for some reason. If you ever do whammy dives be careful to avoid some potentially horrible noises by using one of your hands to mute the strings and turn the volume knob down before bringing the bar back up. :)
# 7
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
05/30/2008 1:01 am
Originally Posted by: light487There's only a few days left this month.. I'm not seeing as many submissions this month.. may be everyone has exams or something. I'll keep the thread open until Monday the 2nd just in case someone decides to use the weekend to submit a solo.

The June 2008 solo is basically finished but I am trying to get a more pleasing drum track. I can hear what I want in my head but it's just A LOT of fiddling around with the midi to do it, so it may just end up being a collection of standard heavy metal drum loops that change to suit the section of the music.

It's certainly not my preferred style of music so it's going to be challenging to do a decent solo over the top of it but I can appreciate that my preferred style is not other peoples' style. :D Also.. do people want this next one to be a little shorter than the last track? Like somewhere between 1.5 and 2mins? (or even shorter.. may be 1 to 1.5mins..) or do another one about 2.5 to 3mins again? Let me know..

I would vote for 2 to 3 minutes. But if we go with the shorter one no big deal.
# 8
Spedzar
Spedzar
06/03/2008 12:01 pm
Geez guys... What happened with the amount of response for the assignment this May? For what it was worth, this thread kept me going guitar-wise for the month. It was the only thing I really did with the instrument for any significant amount of time (a few hours on a weekend when the kids weren't in the house) and that kept me going... like a little flare in my heart. I really looked forward to it. I want to say thanks to Light, mpaq and fingerspasm for keeping the "community" alive this month and to Superhuman for his continued interest even in the busiest of times for him and to anyone else that joined the thread.

For those of you in the wider GT forum, if you are listening to what goes on here, please have a go at this. IMO, everyone involved with the assignments thrives one listening to some other perspective of creation and composition. It doesn't matter where you are at or how good you are as a guitarist. What matters is that you come and give of yourself and possibly learn something.

I'd absolutely love to see a different guest instructor have a go at this each month to see if they can inspire the monthly audience on this thread to reach new levels on their instruments. What do you think?
# 9
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
06/03/2008 12:24 pm
Originally Posted by: SpedzarGeez guys... What happened with the amount of response for the assignment this May? For what it was worth, this thread kept me going guitar-wise for the month. It was the only thing I really did with the instrument for any significant amount of time (a few hours on a weekend when the kids weren't in the house) and that kept me going... like a little flare in my heart. I really looked forward to it. I want to say thanks to Light, mpaq and fingerspasm for keeping the "community" alive this month and to Superhuman for his continued interest even in the busiest of times for him and to anyone else that joined the thread.

For those of you in the wider GT forum, if you are listening to what goes on here, please have a go at this. IMO, everyone involved with the assignments thrives one listening to some other perspective of creation and composition. It doesn't matter where you are at or how good you are as a guitarist. What matters is that you come and give of yourself and possibly learn something.

I'd absolutely love to see a different guest instructor have a go at this each month to see if they can inspire the monthly audience on this thread to reach new levels on their instruments. What do you think?

I agree. This is the one thing that keeps me coming back to GT. I check every day at the beginning of every new month for the next backing track. Its so much fun to get to hear the new track for the first time and then to try and figure something out to go with it. Some months do not go so well for me BUT! I always feel like I have moved forward in my playing. I would not stretch nearly as far if it were not for recording myself over a Backing track. I have progressed much more since I started recording.
I have often wondered if we should put a post in the General topics area and invited everyone to come and check out this thread every month. Kinda like advertising.... Just a thought.
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/03/2008 2:53 pm
COuldnt do it this month guys, doing college finals this week (mature student);. Doesnt give me much time for anything - that plus my house is being renovated means my axes are locked away in their cases :( Should be around for June's submission though!
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.