Question about progress for a beginner

Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/17/2007 12:18 pm
I've been playing....well practicing for a little over a month now. I practice any where from a half hour a night to an hour. I can do some scales, slow but I can do them. I can play 4 or 5 short riffs like the intro to Hotel California, Day tripper and some of the other short intros and I can play two songs, Love me Tender and You were ment for me by Jewel. The part that I'm sort of (or in my opinon) struggling with is cord changes like from G to D or F to C, easy ones like Am to C, I'm ok with. My fingers are still "walking" onto the strings on most of the cord changes. My teacher (which I have a lesson every two weeks because he's booked to the hilt and he knows me so he did me a favor and squeezed me into a time) says I'm doing fine. Because of the vast skill levels of the people on this forum, i ask you: Am I in the norm ? or should I be doing cord changes at some speed by now ?
Thanks,
Dan
# 1
dvenetian
dvenetian
02/17/2007 1:25 pm
Originally Posted by: Logan826 My teacher (which I have a lesson every two weeks because he's booked to the hilt and he knows me so he did me a favor and squeezed me into a time) says I'm doing fine. Because of the vast skill levels of the people on this forum, i ask you: Am I in the norm ? or should I be doing cord changes at some speed by now ?
Thanks,
Dan

Your Instructor is correct. The key is to relax. Forming chords properly will take time. Try to focus your limited time on your weak points and they will become strong points. Then on to the next one. I'm just glad that I don't live next door to you for the next couple of years because that's what it will take before you understand how to incorporate the Key. My neighbor's Boy is starting as well and his fret hand fingers are indented and sore as hell from trying to strangle that neck!!!!!!
Relax (the Key) and use the least amount of pressure necessary to make a proper tone. Tense hands make it hard to have a natural form. (It will become natural in time).
# 2
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
02/17/2007 4:44 pm
By 'F' do you mean the real deal or the lazy one?

If you can play barre chords after about a month then you're way ahead of the normal development curve.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 3
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
02/17/2007 6:40 pm
I've been playing for a year (on and off), and that F chord still gives me trouble from time to time.

Everyone progresses differently, but if you are practicing... then I'd say you are doing fine. Don't get discouraged.. just keep at it.

I think that is the biggest struggle of a beginner player.. is to keep at it through the discouraging parts. It is for me anyways.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 4
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/17/2007 6:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback all. I don't gig and at this time I really don't jam with anyone. I know a few people that play, but we just don't have the time to hook up. So it's hard for me to know what is good progress when I have nothing to compare to. Hammurabi, yes that is the regular F cord. I don't know enough difference to play the "lazy one".
Dan
# 5
ren
ren
02/17/2007 7:09 pm
Sounds like you're doing good to me dude. The most important thing is to practice a little every day and enjoy it... try to do a new thing every day, no matter how small it is...

It will all come in time...

If you can play an F chord nice and clean you're doing way better than I was after a month! :D

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 6
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/18/2007 2:40 am
Ren,
I can play it clean, I just can't switch to it and play it clean. I should say with any speed. I can "walk" my fingers onto the strings and play it clean, or any of the cords I know the shape of.
Dan
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
02/18/2007 6:00 am
What's up dude? You sound like you're well on your way. I see you're from NE Ohio. Whereabouts? I'm originally from Youngstown.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2007 6:48 am
Yeah, sounds like you're ok good to me.
Just keep plugging away at it. It takes time for muscles to form and for your hands to respond to what your brain is trying to get it them to do.
There may be times where months go by and you'll feel like you aren't progressing at all. Then all of a sudden it just starts to click.
Just don't get discouraged...everybody goes through it.
# 9
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/18/2007 1:20 pm
Thanks Schmange. I don't know if you read it, but I posted a compliment to you in other thread. The thread was getting sort of heated if you remember the one.
Dan
# 10
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/18/2007 5:57 pm
Hey man IM new too and I soo feel your pain on wondering "Am I coming along ok?". I know nooo one around that playes so I have to depend on myself and my wonderfull, awsome, bueatifull, supportive, lying wife telling me im coming along faster than she ever thought I would...lol. I practice each and every day... No less than an hour normaly 2+ but it does get easier. One day you will pick that ax up and play a song that has been kicking your butt for the longest. Sounds like you are coming along great. Just keep up the practice and it will all come together. "We" just have to rember it takes time. By the way you have an awsome name...lol

Dan

P.S. I just recently found a site for local musicians and found a couple of "increadable" guitarist who are willing to sit down with me and give me some pointers and just jam. Im really excited (and nervous) about it..lol. Might want to look around. May luck up and find something like that localy. Good luck.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 11
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/18/2007 6:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Logan826Thanks Schmange. I don't know if you read it, but I posted a compliment to you in other thread. The thread was getting sort of heated if you remember the one.
Dan

Yeah.. many thanks! :)
I appreciate it.
# 12
Logan826
High on Strat
Logan826
High on Strat
02/19/2007 10:05 pm
Mav,
Thanks for the coments. My wife tells me the same thing as she's closing the door behind her as she leave the room, LOL. As for the name, thanks bro, I picked it up as a kid and it sort of stuck with me. ;)
I did find someone to play with. My problem is he's my son's friend and can really shred, so it's a little embarrasing right now. LOL
Dan
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.