This may sound stupid

DeadInMagazines
DeadInMagazines
12/23/2005 4:29 am
I know alot about music theory, but I still don't exactly what a "cadence" actually is and I've heard different explanations so I don't know what to think.
# 1
equator
equator
12/25/2005 2:02 pm
In music a Cadence is the movement of chords from one family to another.
A Cadence establishes the key center, and it determines the beginning or the closure of a musical passage or phrase.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
equator
equator
12/25/2005 2:07 pm
Try to learn the different types of cadences:
*Authentic Cadence.
*Plagal Cadence.
*Deceptive Cadence, etc.

equator's Music Page.

# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/25/2005 2:20 pm
Originally Posted by: DeadInMagazinesI know alot about music theory,

Nope, try again.

PS. Also 6/4 cadences.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
USNTele25
USNTele25
12/25/2005 4:11 pm
Depending on which definition of "cadence" you choose to accept, of which there are several, you may find that you have to determine the context in which to use it. For example, cadence, IS a movement of chords.

However, it is also a rhythmic line used to keep time, ie; the snare drum taps which keep soldiers marching in step. It can also be a song, sung by one in a group for timekeeping as well.
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/25/2005 4:52 pm
Well ya learn somethin new every day.
Never even heard that term before.
# 6
equator
equator
12/25/2005 10:05 pm
Originally Posted by: USNTele25Depending on which definition of "cadence" you choose to accept, of which there are several, you may find that you have to determine the context in which to use it. For example, cadence, IS a movement of chords.

However, it is also a rhythmic line used to keep time, ie; the snare drum taps which keep soldiers marching in step. It can also be a song, sung by one in a group for timekeeping as well.

We are not trying to give the definition of the word Cadence. If that was the case, then you failed to mention:

*The cadence of a falling tone: a drop in the pitch of the voice, for example, at the end of a sentence
* Cadence of intonation: the way in which the voice rises and falls in pitch when somebody is speaking
* Cadence of rhythm in language: the way in which poetry or prose flows according to a rhythm.

To be consistent with the idea of this website we must make strict reference to the musical aspect of the topic. Which is the movement of a family of chords; that indicates the beginnig and the end of a piece or passage of music.

If someone asks what is a scale?
I would say that it is a progression of notes with fixed intervals and not...." it depends on which definition of scale that you chose to accept. It can be the thing you use to weigh yourself in the bathroom :) ,or the thing found on a fish skin, or the dimensions used by an arquitect in his blue prints.
Lets leave aside the arquitecture, medicine, language, poetry, and military terms; and let`s stick to the music.

equator's Music Page.

# 7
equator
equator
12/25/2005 11:47 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraDude, why go so over the top?

His alternate definitions were music related in some way; snare drum taps and singing are related to music. I think his alternate definitions were justified. And you're analogy wasn't relevant.

Sorry, but the way in which you replied to that guy pissed me off a little.

His alternate definitions as you said, have nothing to do with what we are talking about.
They are not music related, they have to do with soldiers marching, running and shouting.

To make my point, here is a "cadence"

I was born with an M-16,

my momma didn't want me to be a marine.

the years went by, and was jumping out the sky.

aint going quit till I die.

one year of war is nothing to me.

cause im really mean, and a fighitng marine.

I shot my first rifle in 93'

born and raised to be a marine infantry.

Now you tell me, how that cadence is gonna help you make a chord progression, or establish a key center, or resolution?

equator's Music Page.

# 8
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/26/2005 1:24 am
Chill out man! The guy in the original post did not specify what aspect of music he was refereing to the term cadence. Also, every term of cadence that has been given in this thread does pertain to music. Just chill out, come down from your high horse of supirior music theory knowledge, and let the guy make a reply to elaborate on his question. With all this "no, you're wrong, and I'm right" talk, who the hell would want to reply to you? If I were a beginner, or just new to this site, I would probably just ignore you with your cocky attitude. There is no doubt that you have a wealth of knowledge pertaining to music theory, but that doesn't give you any right to have an attitude about it. It would be a good idea for you to tone it down a bit, and learn more about what someone is asking before attacking our other members who are just trying to help as well. I'm not trying to attack you by any means, I'm just giving you some friendly advice, and I appologize if I offended you in any way. ;)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 9
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
12/26/2005 3:39 am
someone grab the popcorn please... :D
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 10
DeadInMagazines
DeadInMagazines
12/26/2005 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonNope, try again.

PS. Also 6/4 cadences.

That was a tremendous help, thanks yous so much.

And yea, I don't why you guys are argueing about nothing : ? I just asking a question because I've heard people say that it has to do with changing chords and some say it's a stop or end of a rhythm.
# 11
danrock
danrock
01/02/2006 9:24 am
Here is the answer to all your questions...!!!

Enjoy..!!! :)

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory22.htm
Visit my website for my info and Audio/videos....

http://danielarlington.tripod.com
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.