View post (This may sound stupid)

View thread

equator
equator
12/25/2005 10:05 pm
Originally Posted by: USNTele25Depending on which definition of "cadence" you choose to accept, of which there are several, you may find that you have to determine the context in which to use it. For example, cadence, IS a movement of chords.

However, it is also a rhythmic line used to keep time, ie; the snare drum taps which keep soldiers marching in step. It can also be a song, sung by one in a group for timekeeping as well.

We are not trying to give the definition of the word Cadence. If that was the case, then you failed to mention:

*The cadence of a falling tone: a drop in the pitch of the voice, for example, at the end of a sentence
* Cadence of intonation: the way in which the voice rises and falls in pitch when somebody is speaking
* Cadence of rhythm in language: the way in which poetry or prose flows according to a rhythm.

To be consistent with the idea of this website we must make strict reference to the musical aspect of the topic. Which is the movement of a family of chords; that indicates the beginnig and the end of a piece or passage of music.

If someone asks what is a scale?
I would say that it is a progression of notes with fixed intervals and not...." it depends on which definition of scale that you chose to accept. It can be the thing you use to weigh yourself in the bathroom :) ,or the thing found on a fish skin, or the dimensions used by an arquitect in his blue prints.
Lets leave aside the arquitecture, medicine, language, poetry, and military terms; and let`s stick to the music.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.