Question about guitar stunts and everything

armGETaTITon
armGETaTITon
10/28/2005 5:40 am
hey im kinda new at this site so be nice!! :D

im wondering how and when do these punkstars jump/dance/spin their guitar? im so obsessed with fall out boy spinning their guitar and with their hand/foot movements and yeah i know they sound gay for you guys but theyre good at dancing with their guitars.. and one more, how do they play chords/riff while spinning or jumping? wish you could help me with this
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/28/2005 6:08 am
Practice makes perfect. I'm sure people have broken things and people doing stuff like that. But if at first you don't succeed try try again. Plus stuff in videos is choreographed. mmm oreos.... so don't think they do that onstage to much. I've seen Zakk Wylde play with his mouth onstage and that one is probably doable. I wouldn't throw my guitar around even if I had the money to replace it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
armGETaTITon
armGETaTITon
10/28/2005 10:41 am
ive seen good charlotte and simple plan doing spins/jumping onstage. is it possible to play a riff while spinning or jumping with your guitar? cos it impresses me alot. here in the philippines ive not seen a band doing jumps and dances although some are doing sometimes but it still looks lousy on them
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/28/2005 11:00 am
I'd buy a really cheap guitar to practice with. Also, some bands use duct tape to re-inforce their straps so their guitars don't come off.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
10/28/2005 11:05 am
yeah... im not too into punk at all , but I am into ac/dc, and angus young (guitar player) he jumps more than anyone i've ever seen! It is possible to jump around while playing ,you just have to practice!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2005 3:56 pm
Keep in mind that they may not be playing live also.
In our old band we were all midi'd up. I'd do a summersault and play my guitar behind my head at a certain point in the show, but the whole thing was triggered by MIDI so I didn't screw up.
Just for the hell of it though I'd show I was screwing people around by stopping halfway through a solo and solving a Rubics Cube or grabbing a hand puppet to do my vocals.
# 6
armGETaTITon
armGETaTITon
10/28/2005 4:20 pm
yeah i was thinking the same thing. playing recorded and faking guitar riffs but is it still possible to play while spinning i mean cmon how will you fret? and youre surely get dizzy after
# 7
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/28/2005 4:52 pm
It is possible to play whilst spinning around; it's just a matter of practise...

However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a wireless transmitter; cables and spinning around can cause all kind's of things to happen - it's not so impressive when you stop and go to walk to the mike, then find you've tied your leg's together......

Ah, the old rubic's cube mid-solo trick, eh? - A classic... ;)
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 8
rockonn91
rockonn91
10/28/2005 9:19 pm
Originally Posted by: Blues_Manyeah... im not too into punk at all , but I am into ac/dc, and angus young (guitar player) he jumps more than anyone i've ever seen! It is possible to jump around while playing ,you just have to practice!

i was going to be saying this.... angus definatly revolutionized dancing with his guitar :cool: its awesome watching dvds of him dancing around stage....
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 9
armGETaTITon
armGETaTITon
10/29/2005 4:14 am
Originally Posted by: WilldridgeIt is possible to play whilst spinning around; it's just a matter of practise...

However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got a wireless transmitter; cables and spinning around can cause all kind's of things to happen - it's not so impressive when you stop and go to walk to the mike, then find you've tied your leg's together......

Ah, the old rubic's cube mid-solo trick, eh? - A classic... ;)

do you call it a wireless transmitter? and how much would it cost me to have one..? how does it work on amp?

sorry im stoopid
# 10
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/29/2005 6:58 am
Personally I don't care for the sound of wireless....I allways hear too much high end in them compared to a cable.....you can eq around it however, and if you are gonna be doing your Pete Towshend, Angus Young, Eddie VH, etc, type impersonations then it is a requirement.

Another plus that offsets the minus is that you can go right into the crowd. Dance with the girls while you jam....let people touch your guitar strings during a solo....if you use some left hand muting it can still sound ok when the drunks swipe the strings....and it really gets the audience into it....grab a lighter off the table in the back and play some slide with it.....

Performance, 9/10 is fun rather than perfection. Most people when they go see a band are out for a party and a good time...they want a show. Then there are also times for perfection....I don't expect to see Allen Holdsworth doing the splits, or Eric Johnson doing somersaults. I expect perfection, and they know it as there audience is primarily musician oriented.

Eddie VH, Steve Vai, and Yngwie Malmsteen are the only cats I have ever seen pull a virtuoso performance while also having a monsterous stage pressence. Angus Young to a lesser extent....(has there ever been a cooler vibrato than Angus?)

You need to decide when performing if you are gonna sacrifice a little technique for the show, or a little show for the technique.
# 11
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/29/2005 10:18 am
The transmitter would plug into your guitar, (possibly with a battery pack having to be tied to your belt on put in your back pocket). The receiver then sits on top of your amp, connected either by a cable, or connected directly with something already attached to the receiver.

Came across this site, http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Samson-Guitar-Wireless--3357 , have a browse around. Once you've an idea of what the sort of name's of the products, try searching the internet for more information about them.

Picking up on 3fingers' point: "You need to decide when performing if you are gonna sacrifice a little technique for the show, or a little show for the technique." I would recommend that you wait until you can play song's live perfect 99% of the time before trying to sacrifice technique for show; it really isn't good to be jumping around the stage if you're fluffing every other note. And when you do get to a point when you can do both, don't go over board with the tricks...they're much more impressive if saved for that vital moment when "the crowd goes wild", (in my opinion at least!)
# 12
silentmusic
silentmusic
10/29/2005 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI saw Eric Sardinas play slide with a beer bottle at the Vai gig last week, it was awesome.

I <3 Steve Vai. He's a great showman.

yep me too and the beer was spraying out of the bottle all over his guitar :eek:
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 13
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/30/2005 5:18 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraI tried to play slide with a beer bottle on someones guitar last night, I was slightly... err... intoxicated with alcohol fluids.

I can't play slide at all anyway, so obviously, it didn't work. :p

Ahh, that point of intoxication where "it seems like a good idea"...I know that feeling, :D

As it was someone else's guitar, did you finish the beer first?...

What am I saying...seeing it was beer, did you finish the beer first?... :p
# 14
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/31/2005 1:02 pm
Originally Posted by: Akiradue to the compression of the gasses, after a minute the bottle flew out my mouth and I got beer all over the floor... but not the guitar. :p

I can't work out if this is a happy ending or not...beer not on the guitar's good...beer on the floor is not so good, (and a waste of beer come to think of it!) :p

I've never tried slide with a beer bottle...I've done it with a pint glass after being encouraged by the crowd (at a mates birthday party) to, and I quote, "Chug, chug, chug, chug"...it started off well...then my memory goes a little bit fuzzy...
# 15
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/04/2005 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraOh yeah, see Sardinas do the bottle thing here:

CLICK ME please

whoahhhhhh that was pretty rad.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 16
PowerChordWiz
PowerChordWiz
11/04/2005 8:39 pm
Back to the wireless transmitors. How far away from the receiver can u usually get before the sound starts to lag, or will stop pickingup sound? Also I was wondering what would you would think would be a good kind of receiver to get. I know this is stupid, but I just need a reference.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.