Doom Tres!

elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/04/2005 11:48 pm
Doom 3 came out so I had to buy it to check it out. I played for like 20 min and I already wet my self 4 times. Between the lights going out frequently and only being able to hold the flashlight with no gun, to the screaming and jittery noise in the backround. The monsters pop up out of nowhere and scare the bajeezes out of you. The makers have really steped up since doom 1. Awsome game. Anyone else buy it or will be?
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/04/2005 11:57 pm
I have it for my Mac.

It is pretty nice on a twin 2.5GhZ G5 but is still a little bumpy in full screen mode will shadows on etc.

Shame there is not duel monitor support !!

I have just got past the first boss, a spider queen !

Eeeeek !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/05/2005 2:22 am
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI have just got past the first boss, a spider queen !

Eeeeek !

HA! Oh,man. Doc, when I grow up, I want to be you.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/05/2005 10:36 am
I can't even get World Of Warcraft or FarCry to run smooth,let alone doom3.Ive got an xbox,but its just not the same :( I still just dink around in diablo 2.

I wish I had the money for an SLI machine or any pci-x loaded comp...then all games would tremble before me(instead of laugh at my old nvidia pci card...not even AGP!)....until elder scrolls:Oblivion comes out :eek:
Try once,fail twice...
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/05/2005 3:13 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartI still just dink around in diablo 2.

When I get back on broadband again (and therefore battle.net), you'll probably be getting a PM from me.

Doc; what are the minimum requirements on that?

Granted, I need to finish Halo before I go buying any more FPS-type games, but I'd at least like to know of the ol' 733 G4 still has enough balls to pull it off.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/05/2005 3:25 pm
Macs blow.

I haven't bought d3 yet because I already spend too much time gaming compared to studying. I'll probably get a copy over summer.

I can't wait for diablo 3. They were taking applications for the development staff not very long ago so it'll probably be quite a while before it hits the shelves.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/05/2005 3:29 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiMacs blow.

Lets see you compare performance between MacOS and Windows with a gigantor InDesign CS document and still say that.

Or spend four plus hours trying to get a high-end RIP to accept the horrid PostScript Windows generates.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/05/2005 3:45 pm
Lets see you compare performance between MacOS and Windows with a gigantor InDesign CS document and still say that.

Adobe products tend to run better on macs, but Windows is better for most other commonly used software. For example, just about any game. Furthermore when you compare price and performance apple computers cost more for their performance than a good windows-based computer (from a decent company). Pretty much unless you're a graphics designer/artist there aren't many reasons to buy a mac.

Before anyone starts whining about spyware and viruses that's not a valid argument as anyone who knows how to use windows worth anything shouldn't ever get either.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2005 3:48 pm
Originally Posted by: HammurabiMacs blow.

I used to think that before I tried one.

What they don't do is crash every 5 min, get slowed down by unwanted software, and killed regularly by viruses.

You don't have to spent half your time dinking about with them tying to get a peripheral or a network connection to work.

I have given away the last two PCs I have owned because I just couldent reconsile selling them. I have been using PC for 10 years, I built the PC I wrote my PhD on so it is not that I have never given them a chance.

4k on a Mac, I don't regret it for a second.

go figure
# 9
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/05/2005 4:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Dr_simonI used to think that before I tried one.

That's all I used at school in middle school and high school. Two of my best friends are die hard mac users. I'm not basing my opinion of macs merely on their tacky design.

What they don't do is crash every 5 min, get slowed down by unwanted software, and killed regularly by viruses.

Learn to manage your computer better. I don't mean you personally, I mean everyone who uses that argument. You should never get spyware, viruses, or any other unwanted software on a good computer regardless of if it uses windows or OSX. All it takes to avoid them is a little responsibility.

I have never had problems with any windows computer I have ever owned crashing since windows 3.1. I have literally had over a dozen macs running various versions of the mac os sh*t themselves out on me at school, although it's only happened once with osx. I have to admit I like quite a few things about osx.

You don't have to spent half your time dinking about with them tying to get a peripheral or a network connection to work.

I've never had any problems with either of those using either a windows based computer or a mac.
-A.H.
# 10
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2005 5:58 pm
No, that is just the point I just cant be bothered and I don't want to.

I am not a computer technician and never will be. I am a musician and a scientist and I doint want to spend half my very valuable time screwing round with recalcitrant electronics.

I just want it to work, that is why I use a Mac. They are not perfect but they are 10 times better than PCs, for my application. I know I have waisted an inordinate amount of money on both.

i use a Mac cos I cant be bothered with all the PC guff. I want to sit down and do work, not sped two hours figuring out what is wrong with my computer, screw around with configurations and all the other things that quite frankly detract from time spent being productive.

Yes, I could lean all about PCs, but Id rather be write guitar lessons, or scientific papers or do anything else that doesn't involve me wanting to throw the computer out the window.

SO, my personal experience is that, given the way I work and my level of user knowledge is that I, currently hate loth and detest PC and only marginally dislike Macs.

As for aesthetics, well I wouldn't let them influence a buying decision, though I do think MAcs look a million times batter than PCs !!
# 11
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
04/05/2005 6:53 pm
I agree, some macs do look a lot better than pcs. The macs in my chem class have clear keyboards that light up! Sweet for a school comp.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 12
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
04/05/2005 8:11 pm
I downloaded the Demo and had a great time with it. I agree, very scary at parts. Especially when you have to run back through the underground tunnels after you find that scientist dude. They've come so far with these games.

Having said that I'm more of a strategy/simulation gamer. I just bought Civilization III with all the expansion packs and am having a good time with that game.

I too am A Diablo II:LOD nutjob, if you guys wanna start playing some, let me know.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 13
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
04/05/2005 8:13 pm
I agree, some macs do look a lot better than pcs. The macs in my chem class have clear keyboards that light up! Sweet for a school comp.

On the windows side of things these are nice. They're a bit pricey ($80), but very nice. The company that makes them is right here.

Having said that I'm more of a strategy/simulation gamer. I just bought Civilization III with all the expansion packs and am having a good time with that game.

I have all three civs on my computer. Civ 4 is supposed to come out within this year.
-A.H.
# 14
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/06/2005 2:31 am
Price,performance,aesthetics...PC's rule hands down.

For the price of a fully loaded mac,I can build a monster pc.

I'm a PC nerd at heart I suppose...

Makes the power mac scream uncle...do note that Lian Li has been making such 'G5 looking' cases before the G5's existed.

Lian Li cases
AMD 64-FX chips
Dual graphic card SLI mobo's
PCI-X and DDR3 GPU's
Windows XP 64
upcoming blu-ray format

There is just no comparison..macs take back seat to PC performance period.Once 'longhorn' comes out,apple better regroup the cult an make some plans...
Try once,fail twice...
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.