Favorite "unknowns"

George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/21/2004 5:29 pm
The only music I listen to is Hard Rock and different types of Metal, I was wondering if you guys could post some of your favorite bands the were sort of "unknown" or don't get much advertising. If you could just tell the the name and genre of the band that would be awesome, and if your really feeling nice you could post an mp3 or a site were I can get a sample of their music. thx alot.

P.S. I don't like the crappy new rock stuff that doesn't have any solos, just crappy little riffs that you can learn in maybe 2 minutes by heart. I really like a lot of hair bands from the 80's though.

ROCK ON
# 1
PlayLoud
PlayLoud
08/22/2004 6:33 am
One great music maker that people haven't heard of much is Fredrik Thordendal, formerly from the band Meshuggah. His solo album "Sol Niger Within" (Or "Special Defects", to name the english version) is simply awesome. It doesn't fit in any genre tho, it's something very abstract and atmospheric, a combination of guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, violin, sax, and other instruments - it's got a unique sound...

I don't have a link right now, just Google for it.
# 2
pikengren
pikengren
08/22/2004 6:34 am
this isn't really an unknown, but alot of people haven't heard of them.
Triumph. the guitarist (rick emmet) is awesome. he does some cool instrumentals. i actually learned a few of them.
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
08/22/2004 6:51 pm
Two guitarists who I listen to alot that are relative unknowns are Marcel Coenan and Mattias IA Eklundh. They should be easy enough to google for ya if you're interested.

Update:
Marcel coenen
Mattias IA Eklundh
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
That_Guy_NZ
That_Guy_NZ
08/23/2004 5:02 am
you could try "Theocracy" you may or may not like them, there sorta a cross of old school metallica, iron maiden with a bit of symphony x on the side.
check out www.theocracymusic.com
# 5
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
08/23/2004 1:26 pm
Big Wreck, too bad they weren't known, cuz they are a real good rock band.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
08/23/2004 6:50 pm
Clutch. Not exactly unknown, but not mainstream either. One of my favorite bands....

Stuck Mojo. I'm not much into the rap rock thing, but these guys throw it down, and without record scratches or synths. They are not together anymore, but their albums are still available..Note, they were doing the rap-rock thing way before Limp dickzit came around.....

Fugazi. Another one that is well know, but not mainstream. Pretty much a hard rock/metal jam band.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/24/2004 4:52 am
Originally Posted by: DreamRyche2112Big Wreck, too bad they weren't known, cuz they are a real good rock band.

Yessir!

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 8
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/25/2004 3:25 am
Thx for all the posts guys, if anyone has anymore pls add on. I'm just about to check out all the ones named, thx again!!

ROCK ON
# 9
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/25/2004 4:22 am
OK, I don't really listen to much "non-mainstream" music, but here are some bands which I like that I don't think get enough credit:

• Powderfinger - I only know their album "Odyssey #5" and their new single, but they write some decent music.

• Third Eye Blind - if you can't tell by my avatar, 3EB is my current favourite band (well, top 3 maybe). Amazing songwriting, lyrics, hooks, everything. Not too much in the solo department, but some tasty licks and not entirely devoid of solos. Much worth checking out.

• The Trews - Canada's answer to... ummm... OK, how about Led Zeppelin meets AC/DC meets... ummm... hmmm... it's late. Just check them out, if your local radio station hasn't already been flogging them for CANCON.

• I Mother Earth - another great Canadian band which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Or maybe it does. I don't know. Wicked "alt. funk" band, if such a genre exists.

• Eve 6 - OK, I'm listening to their debut album as I'm typing this, and remembering all over again how infectious and catchy their songs were. Great hooks and funny lyrics -- "Sucking on my brain/You're the teacher I'm the student/Turn things 'round/Your story's not congruent" -- how can you not like that?

• Jimi Hendrix - I just discovered this guy and it seems like he has some good songs. Waiting for the next album.

[/sarcasm]
# 10
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/25/2004 6:33 am
thx for the bands eggman, although I have heard of them. And you have got to be kidding about Jimi Hendrix. He's the greatest guitar player of all time, undisputed, I don't know if that's some sort of sick joke or your just out to lunch. How old are you? That could be it. But I'm 14 and I know that he was the father of the guitar. And that's just about all I have to say about that.

ROCK ON
# 11
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
08/25/2004 3:34 pm
Me ;)
WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 12
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
08/26/2004 1:16 pm
Les Paul, a few of you may have even heard he has kind of a signature model guitar, ....well alright, he may be kind of out of date to most of you, but in the 50's he was Steve Vai and a bag of chips, now who's this Hendrix guy every one talks about.........................................? :confused:
# 13
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/26/2004 1:40 pm
Originally Posted by: pstringLes Paul, a few of you may have even heard he has kind of a signature model guitar, ....well alright, he may be kind of out of date to most of you, but in the 50's he was Steve Vai and a bag of chips, now who's this Hendrix guy every one talks about.........................................? :confused:

Bag of chips?

[/sarcasm]
# 14
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/26/2004 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: pstringLes Paul, a few of you may have even heard he has kind of a signature model guitar, ....well alright, he may be kind of out of date to most of you, but in the 50's he was Steve Vai and a bag of chips, now who's this Hendrix guy every one talks about.........................................? :confused:

Oh my, I can't believe you just said that!!! It doesn't matter that he has in own signature guitar, Jimi was the first to make the guitar what it is today. Without Jimi, Paul would have never been, and I've heard some of his stuff. I don't like it at all, it lacks a certain something....... oh yah, GOOD!!!

ROCK ON
# 15
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/26/2004 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: George_LynchOh my, I can't believe you just said that!!! It doesn't matter that he has in own signature guitar, Jimi was the first to make the guitar what it is today. Without Jimi, Paul would have never been, and I've heard some of his stuff. I don't like it at all, it lacks a certain something....... oh yah, GOOD!!!

ROCK ON

??? Jimi played an LP?

And how did he "make" a guitarist from the 50's? :confused: :confused:

And who is this "Jimi" fellow everyone is speaking of?

[/sarcasm]
# 16
HDJ
HDJ
08/26/2004 9:20 pm
Originally Posted by: George_LynchOh my, I can't believe you just said that!!! It doesn't matter that he has in own signature guitar, Jimi was the first to make the guitar what it is today. Without Jimi, Paul would have never been, and I've heard some of his stuff. I don't like it at all, it lacks a certain something....... oh yah, GOOD!!!

ROCK ON

I really hope that was a joke. Les Paul invented the solid body electric guitar along with multi-track recording. Les Paul was inventing the electric guitar when Jimi Hendrix was still a sperm.....Not knocking Jimi, he did pave the way, but you got it backwards. If it wasn't for Les Paul, Jimi may never have been able to amaze the way he did, and still does (with his recordings of course).
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 17
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/27/2004 4:36 am
I just needed another post and more to follow, plus it made my thread go waaaaayyyyyyyy off track and eventually equal more posts for everybody. Which actually means nothing to me because counting your posts is nerdy and I'm just digging myself deeper and deeper into a mess that should have never started. So anyways back to the "unkowns" Does anyone have anymore??

ROCK ON
# 18
George_Lynch
George_Lynch
08/27/2004 7:04 am
Here's the deal, I have a brother. I left my file open and he started a rampage of stupid comments such as Jimi Hendrix made Les Paul and everyone is a nerd. I won't leave my file open like that again. :mad: :mad:

That dink will never use my member name with his brutal non-paragraph ways that make everyone lose interest and such.

I'm sorry for everything else he might of said, I'm still checking all the posts that I didn't make to see if he said anything else stupid (Although he did sign everything at the end with ROCK ON, maybe he is smart, perhaps too smart.....)

ROCK ON
# 19
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/28/2004 5:08 am
Originally Posted by: George_LynchHere's the deal, I have a brother. I left my file open and he started a rampage of stupid comments such as Jimi Hendrix made Les Paul and everyone is a nerd. I won't leave my file open like that again. :mad: :mad:

That dink will never use my member name with his brutal non-paragraph ways that make everyone lose interest and such.

I'm sorry for everything else he might of said, I'm still checking all the posts that I didn't make to see if he said anything else stupid (Although he did sign everything at the end with ROCK ON, maybe he is smart, perhaps too smart.....)

ROCK ON

Hmmm.. that does seem to make sense... perhaps a little bit too much sense...

[/sarcasm]
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.