View post (Favorite "unknowns")

View thread

iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
08/25/2004 4:22 am
OK, I don't really listen to much "non-mainstream" music, but here are some bands which I like that I don't think get enough credit:

• Powderfinger - I only know their album "Odyssey #5" and their new single, but they write some decent music.

• Third Eye Blind - if you can't tell by my avatar, 3EB is my current favourite band (well, top 3 maybe). Amazing songwriting, lyrics, hooks, everything. Not too much in the solo department, but some tasty licks and not entirely devoid of solos. Much worth checking out.

• The Trews - Canada's answer to... ummm... OK, how about Led Zeppelin meets AC/DC meets... ummm... hmmm... it's late. Just check them out, if your local radio station hasn't already been flogging them for CANCON.

• I Mother Earth - another great Canadian band which doesn't seem to exist anymore. Or maybe it does. I don't know. Wicked "alt. funk" band, if such a genre exists.

• Eve 6 - OK, I'm listening to their debut album as I'm typing this, and remembering all over again how infectious and catchy their songs were. Great hooks and funny lyrics -- "Sucking on my brain/You're the teacher I'm the student/Turn things 'round/Your story's not congruent" -- how can you not like that?

• Jimi Hendrix - I just discovered this guy and it seems like he has some good songs. Waiting for the next album.

... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]