Howdy from South Texas

Christian Soldier
Christian Soldier
12/24/2020 11:52 pm

Hey y'all

I'm just an old dog from South Texas who finally took the plunge and picked up the guitar for the first time at 56yrs old about 5 weeks back

would love to hear from some of newbies and old timers as well about your experience and progression with guitar tricks.

Take Care and may y'all have a wonderful and blessed Holiday.

RD

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
12/25/2020 12:28 am

I run with an annual GT sub and have been here three years come February 2021. Here's my 02c. Feel free to leave change if you reckon it's worth-less, pun intended.

Without bias, looked at them all, tried several. Although I also use elements of several complimenting courses, modules or alternative sources contemporaneously, [u]if I had to choose just one[/u], it'd be [u]Guitar Tricks no contest[/u].

Comprehensive, best structured all in one package hands down. Solid instructors and material. Anyone who can't learn guitar here doesn't really want to.

If you're a beginner, just do it. You won't be sorry. If in any doubt, take up the current two week Guitar Tricks full access free trial you can cancel at the end of it if you decide Guitar Tricks isn't for you..

P.S. Check out review sites for potential annual sub discounted promo join ups too.

# 2
faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
12/25/2020 12:31 am

You will get your money's worth and more. Not just from having a structured, organized, comprehensive curriculum, which beats futzing around with YouTube videos by a mile, but perhaps even more for the forum and the individual attention from the instructors and the tons of encouragement and moral support from forum members.

Can't recommend GT highly enough. And BTW, welcome! What style of music do you most like to play? (she asks, hoping for another country player...)

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
12/25/2020 12:45 am

Hi RD!

Welcome to GT and the forum. I called San Antonio home for over a third of a century before moving to the northern Rockies. Here's my take on GT...

For beginners, this is the best online guitar learning site. 'Nuff said.

Once a player has a few skills under his/her belt, this is the best site I know of for detailed/in depth song lessons.

The instructors are professional, friendly and answer questions on the forum with speed and understanding. Follow-on questions are encouraged.

The forum itself is a fun, informative and friendly community. There seems to be a good number of older players, particularly older players that are just starting out.

The lessons! Man, the lessons!! GT has a super course plan, starting with Fundamentals and going into intermediate level styles/genres. There are dozens of separate tutorials specific to technique, music theory, etc..

Pro-rate the yearly subscription and it's not a bad price. Once in a while there is a special on a yearly subscription but it appears to be aperiodic, i.e., one never knows when it's gonna pop up.

As you can tell by my join date, I'm a big believer and supporter of GT. I think you'll like it here.

Good luck, [u]have[/u] [u]fun[/u].

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Christian Soldier
Christian Soldier
12/25/2020 6:54 pm

Hey y'all,

Thanks for the feedback, I went ahead and took the plunge. Looking forward to getting started.

Faith83, can't really say what direction I will be heading in, I do listen to many types, from country to blues, to rock and rap....not the raunchy stuff, I'm more centered around music that will gloify the Lord God. But to answer for country I do look to learn some of the Country songs that are geared toward the gospel of Christ. Alan Jackson has recoreded a few that I would love to learn, first and foremost would be the old time hymn "Amamzing Grace" Alan does a beautiful rendition of it on acoustic...one thing that I would really love to do is to put music to some of the poems I have written about my salvation in the Lord. I have a friend in CA that is not a beleiver in Christ, yet he read them without me knowing...long story...he is a network admin and was able to pick them up as I was transferring them across the network at work...he sent me a IM and said, hey man the poems would make wonderful songs...the Lord works in ways at times that take us by surprise .

I want to thank you all again for the feedback and look forward to getting to know y'all and learn from you.

Take care and may you all have a blessed and wonderful day.

RD

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.