A gift from D'Addario

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/20/2023 6:18 pm

Following daily Forum posts by spammers, innocuous but not meaningful AI-generated posts by one-time users, and individual members complaining every 72 hours about the loss of song lessons, here's something different.

I got a package in the mail today from D'Addario.  'Uh oh', I thought, 'I didn't order anything.'  I was concerned that I had been set up with some kind of subscription without my knowledge or permission. But, happily, no.

It was a complementary, single set of acoustic strings, probably sent because I once bought some strings directly from D'Addario (only once... I went back to Elixir).  This set is different, sez the note included in the package.  After all wordage about how these XS strings came to be, the claim is made that "XS lacks the muffled tones normally associated with coated strings because the film that protects it is roughly 10x thinner than human hair.  Instead of coating the sound, this material elegantly fuses to the wrap wire so every note can truly breath."  

I assume these are a new addition to the D'Addario line up, nomenclature XS Acoustic Phosphor Bronze XSAPB1253.  It'll be some time before I try them out as the current stings on my acoustic still have some hours to live (and I really don't like changing strings).

Anyhoo... I got a guitar freebie today and it's still a few weeks to my birthday.  Wish all of you the same.

john

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
09/20/2023 7:06 pm

Ah….. something nice to talk about.  And a cool move by D’Addario.  Thanks for sharing!

Rumble

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/20/2023 11:16 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Following daily Forum posts by spammers, innocuous but not meaningful AI-generated posts by one-time users, and individual members complaining every 72 hours about the loss of song lessons, here's something different.

I got a package in the mail today from D'Addario.  'Uh oh', I thought, 'I didn't order anything.'  I was concerned that I had been set up with some kind of subscription without my knowledge or permission. But, happily, no.

It was a complementary, single set of acoustic strings, probably sent because I once bought some strings directly from D'Addario (only once... I went back to Elixir).  This set is different, sez the note included in the package.  After all wordage about how these XS strings came to be, the claim is made that "XS lacks the muffled tones normally associated with coated strings because the film that protects it is roughly 10x thinner than human hair.  Instead of coating the sound, this material elegantly fuses to the wrap wire so every note can truly breath."  

I assume these are a new addition to the D'Addario line up, nomenclature XS Acoustic Phosphor Bronze XSAPB1253.  It'll be some time before I try them out as the current stings on my acoustic still have some hours to live (and I really don't like changing strings).

Anyhoo... I got a guitar freebie today and it's still a few weeks to my birthday.  Wish all of you the same.

john

Free stuff that's useful! Very nice.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
09/21/2023 5:06 pm

In addition to continued financial inflation, we now also have to endure mounting "adflation". Any little tweak to an existing product is touted as being a real "game changer" that will certainly usher in a new era of unmitigated excellence. And then somebody does a decent study or survey of professionals in the corresponding area of expertise, only to find that they can't consistently tell the difference between the new and old products.

But hey, D'Addario makes decent gear... and free strings are free strings.

Sascha

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/21/2023 5:27 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

In addition to continued financial inflation, we now also have to endure mounting "adflation". Any little tweak to an existing product is touted as being a real "game changer" that will certainly usher in a new era of unmitigated excellence. And then somebody does a decent study or survey of professionals in the corresponding area of expertise, only to find that they can't consistently tell the difference between the new and old products.

But hey, D'Addario makes decent gear... and free strings are free strings.

Sascha

Good points... both of 'em.

I've never looked into it but I've often wondered about the difference between "Signature" guitars, e.g., the collection at PRS or even my own Melissa Etheridge 12-string by Ovation.  Truly different or just options?

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
09/23/2023 1:36 pm

Hey john, what was it that made you switch back to Elixir after your first set of D'Addario strings? I'm just curious because I'm like a caveman when it comes to guitar strings - I can't appreciate the difference between D'Addario vs Martin vs Elixir vs barbed wire.

Sascha

# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
09/23/2023 11:33 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Hey john, what was it that made you switch back to Elixir after your first set of D'Addario strings? I'm just curious because I'm like a caveman when it comes to guitar strings - I can't appreciate the difference between D'Addario vs Martin vs Elixir vs barbed wire.

Sascha

Me too.  Speaking of cavemen...

It was a long time ago but I think I felt the D'Addario strings didn't last as long as the Elixir.  To be sure... it's an old foggy memory. 

When I returned to guitar some years ago after a decades-long layoff I bought a guitar from a good friend.  When I first visited a shop to have it set up, I asked for a new set of strings and, when I didn't respond much past "I dunno" to the question of what brand and gauge, the owner threw a set of Elixir Nanoweb lights, at me.  That's what I've used ever since.

-- Chet Atkins
# 7
kalylcie1
kalylcie1
12/25/2023 2:40 am

It's great that you got to experience a complimentary set, and it adds a bit of excitement to your day. The note about the thin protective film allowing the strings to breathe and maintain a clear tone is interesting. When you do decide to give them a try, it would be cool to hear your thoughts on how they perform compared to your usual strings.

geometry dash

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.