Manual Tuning

mrowe66
Full Access
mrowe66
Full Access
08/06/2023 11:27 pm

Hi, I’m new here. Watched Lisa manually tune. What if your low E/6th string is not in tune?

Max

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/07/2023 11:25 am

You need to use an external reference pitch.  That's what a tuner is for.  This page has a video explaining the tuning process & the GT online tuner.

https://www.guitartricks.com/guitar-tuner

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
LizethBethtzs87
LizethBethtzs87
08/09/2023 12:22 pm

Hello,

If your low E/6th string is not in tune while manually tuning your guitar, it can adversely affect your overall sound quality and playability. A poorly tuned string can lead to dissonance in chords, inaccurate melodies, and hinder your playing experience. To address this, follow these steps:

Tension Adjustment: Begin by gently turning the tuning peg for the low E string in the appropriate direction. Tune either up (tightening the string) or down (loosening the string) depending on whether the pitch is too high or low.

Reference Pitch: If you have access to a reference pitch (e.g., a piano or digital tuner), compare the string's sound to the correct pitch. Adjust the tension gradually until both pitches match.

Use Harmonics: Alternatively, you can tune the low E string to harmonics on the 7th fret of the A string. Adjust the low E string's tension until the harmonics on the 7th fret of the low E string matches those on the 5th fret of the A string.

Fine-tuning: Once you're close to the correct pitch, pluck the low E string and listen carefully. Make small adjustments to the tension for precise tuning. Recheck and Retune: After adjusting, go through the tuning process again to ensure accuracy.

# 3
innocci
innocci
08/09/2023 6:28 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: mrowe66

Hi, I’m new here. Watched Lisa manually tune. What if your low E/6th string is not in tune?

Max

What I used to do in the old days, was to take my guitar completely out of tune (including the low E) tune the whole guitar by ear and then check it against a tuner and see how close I got. It helped me develop my ear to hear what that low E should sound like.

# 4
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
08/25/2023 3:42 pm

Bots

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.