What's so great about Led Zepplin?

aschleman
aschleman
08/17/2006 11:32 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov
One thing to consider is that Copyright laws are much stricter now than they were 30 or 40 years ago; Spirt may have approached a lawyer, made their case and have been told "we're never gonna win this."

Add in that about 75% of all "news" to cross the editor's desk gets cut from the final broadcast or printing and that media reporting is already very selective and finicky, there's just no way to know.

Well, you'd think they would have a case now that copyright laws are as strict as they are... and since it still remains to be one of the most popular songs ever recorded... you'd think they would present their case...

And... I hear that 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot...
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/17/2006 11:45 am
It's times like these I remember it really doesn't matter what I think.

*ponders deeply anyway*
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/17/2006 4:14 pm
Originally Posted by: aschleman
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovOne thing to consider is that Copyright laws are much stricter now than they were 30 or 40 years ago; Spirt may have approached a lawyer, made their case and have been told "we're never gonna win this."

Add in that about 75% of all "news" to cross the editor's desk gets cut from the final broadcast or printing and that media reporting is already very selective and finicky, there's just no way to know.[/QUOTE]
Well, you'd think they would have a case now that copyright laws are as strict as they are... and since it still remains to be one of the most popular songs ever recorded... you'd think they would present their case...

Last I checked, you can't bring someone to court for something which was legal at the time it happened.

[QUOTE=aschleman]And... I hear that 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

Call me "Mr. 20%."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 3
aschleman
aschleman
08/17/2006 5:34 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovLast I checked, you can't bring someone to court for something which was legal at the time it happened.

Hm... careful not to contradict your whole arguement...
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/17/2006 7:09 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanHm... careful not to contradict your whole arguement...

"Legal" and "ethical" are not necessarily the same thing.

Led Zeppelin knowingly took other people's music many times in their career; a few they've been busted for, but most they did not.

If I plagiarize Person Y's song and Person X's song but only get litigated for Person Y's, it doesn't make plagiarizing Person X's any more OK.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 5
aschleman
aschleman
08/17/2006 9:35 pm
I hear your points loud and clear and don't disagree in anyway other than the way that I believe it doesn't affect the way I look at Led Zeppelin as a band... I know the difference between ethical and legal... there's a large difference I just wanted to point it out.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.