WTF? Fix your forum

davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
06/27/2023 1:32 am

Come on. Someone should sit on this forum and ban each spam account as they appear.

Do what other sites do; moderate the first 3 posts from any new user.

# 1
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
Guitar Tricks Admin
Full Access
06/27/2023 5:04 pm

Hi Davem, all spam posts have now been removed. The developers are working on a fix to quell the spamming issue and our goal is to deploy by the end of today. We apologize for any inconvenience. 

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact us.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/27/2023 6:26 pm

Since this started, approximately 12000 Asian-language spam posts have been put up on the Forum by 15 new 'registered users'.  That was my count as of five hours ago before I had to go to town.  When I left, spam posts were still coming in so the total is probably higher.

Virtually all of the posts of this three day attack have come during the nighttime and early morning hours of the U.S. west coast, home of GT.

Patience.

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Adam Alicki
GT Web Developer
Adam Alicki
GT Web Developer
06/27/2023 9:02 pm

Hey Everyone,

Apologies for the spam and issues it caused, we understand the frustrations.

We have implemented a way to mitigate (and likely stop) this problem. Free users will be required to enter a captcha before creating a thread or posting a reply.

Please contact us if you have any issues or feedback.

Thanks for your patience!

Adam Alicki - Web Developer
GuitarTricks.com

Guitar Tricks Logo
# 4
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/27/2023 9:12 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: Adam Alicki

Hey Everyone,

We have implemented a way to mitigate (and likely stop) this problem. Free users will be required to enter a captcha before creating a thread or posting a reply.

Thanks Adam

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 5
davem_or
Full Access
davem_or
Full Access
06/28/2023 1:51 am

Hey Everyone,

Thank you.

Your idea is better.

edited
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/28/2023 3:08 am

Hey Everyone,

That should slow 'em down.  Fingers crossed.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/07/2023 11:46 am

I still think spambots or whatever they are, are still getting through. I don't know how they are doing it but this cannot be a real user.

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/t/55245/p/374168

edited

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/07/2023 1:44 pm

Reported and it will be gone soon.  So too, another six spam posts put up before this one by new registered users.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new.  I see close to ten spam posts on an average day.  Seven already this morning and it's not yet 7 o'clock on the U.S. west coast.

edited
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/07/2023 3:45 pm
#9 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Reported and it will be gone soon.  So too, another six spam posts put up before this one by new registered users.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new.  I see close to ten spam posts on an average day.  Seven already this morning and it's not yet 7 o'clock on the U.S. west coast.

Yes, we have discussed this before John and while I appreciate your efforts on this board, you should not have to do it. GT is running a for profit business. And there are still in this world, moderated boards. Starting Strength is far busier than this board and the forum is moderated by either Rip himself or one of his paid staff members. 

Again, I appreciate your efforts but they should not be required. 

Btw, I see another rat somehow got into this thread with a nice little link included for the unsuspecting or careless to click on.

# 11
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/07/2023 5:31 pm
#11 Originally Posted by: William MG

Yes, we have discussed this before John and while I appreciate your efforts on this board, you should not have to do it. GT is running a for profit business. And there are still in this world, moderated boards. Starting Strength is far busier than this board and the forum is moderated by either Rip himself or one of his paid staff members. 

Again, I appreciate your efforts but they should not be required. 

Btw, I see another rat somehow got into this thread with a nice little link included for the unsuspecting or careless to click on.

Not only another rat but one that copied a previous post of mine and portrayed it as their own... before inserting a spam link.  Oh... the horror!  šŸ˜¬

Soon to disappear, too.

-- Chet Atkins
# 12
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/07/2023 6:01 pm
#12 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Not only another rat but one that copied a previous post of mine and portrayed it as their own... before inserting a spam link.  Oh... the horror!  šŸ˜¬

Soon to disappear, too.

I thing GT should do the right thing and put you on payroll šŸ˜‰

# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
07/07/2023 9:54 pm
#12 Originally Posted by: William MG

I thing GT should do the right thing and put you on payroll šŸ˜‰

Oooo... I could buy another guitar!!!

-- Chet Atkins
# 13
mjgodin
mjgodin
07/07/2023 11:11 pm

Ok I’m just gonna state the obvious here,  but why not just open the forum to only  full access users? Pretty sure spammers are not gonna pay to spam. Is there a bigger picture here I’m not seeing?

Moe

# 14
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/08/2023 8:45 am
#14 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Ok I’m just gonna state the obvious here,  but why not just open the forum to only  full access users? Pretty sure spammers are not gonna pay to spam. Is there a bigger picture here I’m not seeing?

Moe

Works here Moe!

# 15
fuzzb0x
Full Access
fuzzb0x
Full Access
07/08/2023 7:20 pm
#14 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

Moe

this is a good idea!

it's mainly full subscription users who contribute on this forum and it would stop the spam posts straight away.

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.