Learn 2 styles of guitar at the same time

Jay Pham
Jay Pham
08/06/2021 4:15 am

Hi all,

I just finished Fundamentals 2 after 2 months and now moving on to a higher level. My main objective is to play the guitar while singing so I think Acoustic is where I need to go next. But at the same time, I'm pretty addicted to the rhythm and the Rock guitar solo from those Japanese Anime songs. It is safe for me to learn 2 styles of guitar at the same time? Or if not, which one of the 2, Acoustic and Rock, should I pick first?

Thank you in advance for your kind replies!

# 1
darickmendes
darickmendes
08/06/2021 4:51 pm

Tbh I'm prestty sure you can still play while singing in rock style as well , lots of rock stars do it . About learning more then 1 o think it's possible if your think you can manage focusing on both

# 2
yoann.coldefy
yoann.coldefy
08/23/2021 5:37 am
Originally Posted by: Jay PhamBut at the same time, I'm pretty addicted to the rhythm and the Rock guitar solo from those Japanese Anime songs

I'm currious about what songs youre are trying to do. (Anime/Game/Jpop/Jrock is aslo a style I like and will be playing, my first real song is Neko from Dish//)

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/23/2021 11:16 am

Congrats on finishing GF2!

Originally Posted by: Jay Pham

My main objective is to play the guitar while singing so I think Acoustic is where I need to go next.[/quote][p]Good plan. Playing & singing at the same time means you have to completely automate one or both processes. Usually this means your guitar playing has to be completely automated.

Originally Posted by: Jay PhamBut at the same time, I'm pretty addicted to the rhythm and the Rock guitar solo from those Japanese Anime songs.[/quote]

I'm assuming you are referring to electric guitar styles used in those tunes. That's a completely different style, requiring different gear & techniques. Your best beginning path for that is the rock courses, some of the hard rock/metal technique tutorials & then learning songs you enjoy.

[quote=Jay Pham]

It is safe for me to learn 2 styles of guitar at the same time?

[p]If you have the time, then go for it. In my experience this means you will make slower progress overall than if you focused on just one at a time. But as long as you are aware of that & willing to do the work at a slower pace, then it's not a problem.

[quote=Jay Pham]Or if not, which one of the 2, Acoustic and Rock, should I pick first?

You stated your main objective was acoustic, so I think that's your best first pick.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.