View post (Learn 2 styles of guitar at the same time)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/23/2021 11:16 am

Congrats on finishing GF2!

Originally Posted by: Jay Pham

My main objective is to play the guitar while singing so I think Acoustic is where I need to go next.[/quote][p]Good plan. Playing & singing at the same time means you have to completely automate one or both processes. Usually this means your guitar playing has to be completely automated.

Originally Posted by: Jay PhamBut at the same time, I'm pretty addicted to the rhythm and the Rock guitar solo from those Japanese Anime songs.[/quote]

I'm assuming you are referring to electric guitar styles used in those tunes. That's a completely different style, requiring different gear & techniques. Your best beginning path for that is the rock courses, some of the hard rock/metal technique tutorials & then learning songs you enjoy.

[quote=Jay Pham]

It is safe for me to learn 2 styles of guitar at the same time?

[p]If you have the time, then go for it. In my experience this means you will make slower progress overall than if you focused on just one at a time. But as long as you are aware of that & willing to do the work at a slower pace, then it's not a problem.

[quote=Jay Pham]Or if not, which one of the 2, Acoustic and Rock, should I pick first?

You stated your main objective was acoustic, so I think that's your best first pick.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory