Any Good Rats Fans ?

N4Player
N4Player
12/28/2002 6:21 am
Old timer from N.Y. here. If you ever saw the Good Rats play - you'd remember them. They did produce a couple albums in the late 70's early 80's - I was able to find "Live at Last" on CD. Anyone find any others ?
...another toy, to help destroy, the elder race of man
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/30/2002 4:02 am
Wow, you are an old timer! Takes one to know one, I remember looking around for anything by the Good Rats years ago, but never found anything, I remember seeing Mickey ? in an advertisement for some pedal in GP or GFPM, How do they sound?
# 2
N4Player
N4Player
12/30/2002 4:51 am
Mickey Marchello (lead guitar) and his brother Peppi, the singer. I got "Live at Last" off some dealer on ebay - "Uncle Rat" records 1996. This was the first band I saw in a bar (I was 16 ...snuck in) back in 1978. I saw them again in '80 in college - great show, picked up a bass player from hell that shook the house.

Musically, it's nothing special....just brings back a bunch of memories of my N.Y. youth. And they were a cool band back then. Alot of good bands from N.Y in those days...alot of bad bands...I recall helping Twisted Sister get their crap out of the Bolognese recording studio in Long Island so we could set up and cut our album....we thought they sucked, but their record sold, ours didn't.... so I guess we sucked LOL.
-Bob
# 3
N4Player
N4Player
12/30/2002 5:06 am
BTW - In 1981 The Good Rats put out another album with "new" lead guitarist Bruce Kulick...never heard it.
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/31/2002 7:54 am
Bruce Kulick, always the bridesmaid, never the bride, Mr. Replacement guitar guy, thats a shame , he is a great guitarist..............
# 5
N4Player
N4Player
12/31/2002 9:08 pm
Not necessarily a bad thing (being the replacement guy) Jake E. Lee and Zack have done well (replacing Randy). I once saw Steve Morse play with Kansas as the lead guitarist..(of course Steve was their producer). And let's not forget Vai was the replacement guitarist in Alcatrazz back in the 80's (replacing Yngwie).
# 6
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
01/01/2003 6:29 am
I guess the downside is that you usally get the hired hand treatment, Oh Well, Bruce had a good run with KISS, and I doubt that he's pumping gas for a living.........
# 7
N4Player
N4Player
01/01/2003 6:58 am
Yeah, last I saw Bruce had a line of video lessons and stuff out. Don't know if he's playing with anyone currently ?

# 8
ZoeKitty
ZoeKitty
01/03/2003 1:12 am
I am shocked to see that you say the Good Rats were "musically nothing special". I grew up on the Rats, as my father was a huge fan back in the day- sneaking into clubs and bars at 16 in 1973, getting into the shows any way he could. I listened to "Tasty" and "Birth Comes To Us All" constantly when I was very young, and grew up to still hold dear the music of my youth. And it DOES have its merits, my friend. Peppi has some god-given amazing vocal skills, as well as a gift for writing. And, might I add, at 59 years old, the man still has what it takes. And his sons- my god- the talent couldn't be any laid on any thicker in that family. Stefan on drums is absolutely amazing. Gene on lead guitar and vocals is breathtaking. I started seeing the band play in 2001 when I "found" them in Rochester by chance, and have been hooked on going to shows since. I find it disturbing that you find nothing special in the Rats music, especially as a "fan"! Maybe you should look 'em up sometime- they're still playing- and rediscover what it was back in the 70's that drew you to them in the first place. Right now his boys are doing shows alone, as Peppi is recovering from heart surgery, but he is optimistic that he'll be back to his music, so to speak, by March. If you're interested, visit my website: http://www.geocities.com/jdgancio
Anyway, just my two cents- until later, Rat on.... ~*ZoeKitty*~

"Screw you guys, I'm goin' home!" -Cartman
# 9
ZoeKitty
ZoeKitty
01/03/2003 1:19 am
Just so you're aware, I realize Peppi's sons aren't "original" members, but they have been holding this band together for many years now-- and doing a damn good job, if I may say so myself. I have seen two reunion shows with Lenny, Mickey, Joe, and John the Cat, and they still rock the house! Unbelieveable, figuring these guys are all in their 50's!!! ~*ZoeKitty*~
# 10
N4Player
N4Player
01/03/2003 3:16 am
ZoeKitty - I love the Rats don't get me wrong. Although I never heard them with Bruce on guitar, or "the kids". I love their music, as do you - we're New Yorkers and grew up on it. I was speaking to someone who's never heard them, and didn't want them to think they were going to hear some ripping "blow your mind" guitar solos on "Live at Last". They were a bar band - and a great one IMHO. I was kinda comparing them to other bands I followed back in N.Y. in those days - Steve Morse with the Dixie Dregs, Billy Sheehan with Talas...all common names in this forum these days. Unfortunately, I don't think half the folks in here would think the (old) Good Rats were anything special musically. Like the "Zebra" syndrome - they would pack the house back in N.Y. , but never really got the following (I think they deserved) outside N.Y.
# 11
ZoeKitty
ZoeKitty
01/03/2003 4:27 pm
...you MAY be right...sigh- but I still think the Rats offered some truly great music (and still do to this day). If there are people out there who think they weren't anything special back in the 70's, perhaps they SHOULD listen to his sons play in the band NOW, because the boys really do bring in an element of a present-day rock n'roll feel. The guitar is a little heavier, the bass a little more updated...they've got a new album out under a new name that just came out, if anyone is interested. They're under the name DUM and the album is "Play Dum". It has some really great songs on there, like "The World Party Anthem" (Previously known as "Let's Have Another Beer") and "Mean Motherf*cker" (don't know if I'm allowed to swear on here, LOL!). I think as of now the album is only available for purchase through the fan club and at shows. Try it, maybe you'll like it, if I may paraphrase an old addage. Well, that's it, I guess I've argued enough, ha ha! Rat on- ~*ZoeKitty*~

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.