Effective Practicing Schedule

jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/10/2019 7:07 pm

Hello, guys. I hope all is well.

So recently I’ve moved to another job where it allows me more time to practice, 2-2:30 hours on daily basis (More time in the weekends) which got me thinking that I should have a very effective practice schedule in order to make the most out of those two hours or so.

Now I know this question has been asked quite a few times and you have to have a goal set in mind, but I hardly have any clear goal, all I want is to really become a good guitar player (too generic I know) I find myself stuck in the realm of a mediocre playing (maybe less LOL). Let’s say I want to play faster, broaden my improvisation to more melodic lines, grasp more techniques, and maybe start playing more complex pieces. To that end, I’m asking this question.

So what do you think? Or what would your practice schedule be if you were in my shows?

I, always, appreciate all your insights and help.

Thanks a lot. :)

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/11/2019 12:31 pm

Hey, Jasim. I'm doing well, thanks. Hope you are too!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

So recently I’ve moved to another job where it allows me more time to practice, 2-2:30 hours on daily basis (More time in the weekends) which got me thinking that I should have a very effective practice schedule in order to make the most out of those two hours or so.

[/quote]

Congrats on the new job! More practice time is great news. :)[br]

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdNow I know this question has been asked quite a few times and you have to have a goal set in mind, but I hardly have any clear goal, all I want is to really become a good guitar player (too generic I know) I find myself stuck in the realm of a mediocre playing (maybe less LOL).
[p]You kind of answered part of your question right there: you need a clear goal.

In this case, you should probably settle on a style of music or guitar playing, then map a path to it by learning songs in that style. Break down the rhythm & lead guitar playing aspects of that particular style. Often songs are a great way to have a path, learn the style & have a repetoire of things you can play as you progress. And after a while you've actually accomplished something you can look back on with satisfaction. Because right now it might seem like you are spinning your wheels.

[quote=jasim.hd]

Let’s say I want to play faster, broaden my improvisation to more melodic lines, grasp more techniques, and maybe start playing more complex pieces.

[p]This is a good start to a clear goal! But you really need to get specific on style or genre. Obviously there is a lot of overlap in any styles that all contain guitar. But that's really only at the beginner level of basic notes, chords, picking & strumming, staying in time. So if you really want to accel, or be really good, then you need to focus on one.

Because there is a world of difference in the time it will take you to learn to play metal, versus blues (or country, jazz, classical, etc.). The ideas, techniques, skills & songs you learn in metal style will translate well to other songs in metal style. But those will not help you very much for other styles. Maybe rock. But that's still stretching it.

And it will take a lot of time to really get good at just one style!

Eventually, after 5-10 years you might find that you've got enough skills to make a little progress into another style. But it will still take more years to really dig into that new style. To really learn the skills required & the tunes & be able to play them confidently! I know that from personal experience.

So what style do you want to play?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/11/2019 8:16 pm

Hello, Chris. I'm really glad you're doing okay.

Always good to hear from you, always good.

I agree with everything you said, and lately I've been trying to morph songs into my daily routine of practice, which leaves me feeling very good after learning how to play a certain solo or a certain lick.

But back to the subject at hand, which your next question:

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

So what style do you want to play?

I'm very confused of how to answer this question, I'm sure you may have faced this confusion with a student or two before me LOL.

Due to developing tinnitus and growing old, I'm finding myself growing out of Metal. I love it, and I'd love to play a good riff once in a while, but it's not me anymore. I'm mainly torn between Rock and Blues.

I love Rock, I love listening to it, playing it, the power and the control of it. I love the energy and the flow of energy that come from playing it. But on the other hand, Blues is just magic.

I am learning B. B. King's The Thrill Is Gone, and yesterday after I learnt and started playing to the intro solo, I felt magic I never felt before in my life. A small solo, but while I was playing to it I forgot myself, I closed my eyes and just felt it. I'm pretty sure that you know what I mean. I'm really sorry for making it harder LOL.

What I’m trying to say is that I’m not sure where my soul lays. Dare I say Blues?

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2019 4:36 pm

I agree with everything you said, and lately I've been trying to morph songs into my daily routine of practice, which leaves me feeling very good after learning how to play a certain solo or a certain lick.

[/quote]

Good deal! What does your current daily routine consist of?

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdI'm very confused of how to answer this question, I'm sure you may have faced this confusion with a student or two before me LOL.

Sure! And some students said more than one. And a few even said, "All of them!" :)

It's wonderful to have that much interest & passion in learning. And it's certain possible to do. But you have to keep in mind that every different project path takes time. And while you can do multiple paths at the same time, it will take more time to accomplish any given path.

You are currently torn between Rock & Blues. The good news is that there is a great deal of overlap in those two styles. But you are still looking at 2 different styles.

So, if you focus solely on Rock, then you will achieve a certain amount of Rock style skill & songs repertoire in a year. Or, if you focus solely on Blues, then you will achieve a certain amount of Blues style skill & songs repertoire in a year.

If you focus on both Rock & Blues, then you will achieve some percentage of both. Or you might be able to achieve close to the same amount, but in 2 years. Make sense?

The more you dive deep into one strong focus area the more quickly & strongly you will learn & automate it so it becomes second nature to you.

So, if you enjoy the learning process of both, and are not worried about taking all the time you need, or "the long way", then do both! Go back & forth as your time & enjoyment allows.

If you are really wanting to get good, really good at a style, then it's better to really focus on that one style. Dig deep. And the further in you get the more solid it becomes. I would even suggest that if you spend MOST of your time on Blues for a year, then MOST of your time on rock for the following year, you would be better off, have more skills solidly under your command, and know more songs, than if you combined them.

But you have to balance that with how much fun you are having. If it's just a boring grind, then do both!

[quote=jasim.hd]I am learning B. B. King's The Thrill Is Gone, and yesterday after I learnt and started playing to the intro solo, I felt magic I never felt before in my life. A small solo, but while I was playing to it I forgot myself, I closed my eyes and just felt it. I'm pretty sure that you know what I mean. I'm really sorry for making it harder LOL.

I know exactly what you mean. And that actually makes it easier for me. It sounds like you just need to make the conscious commitment to learning some blues. :)[br][br]I grew up listening to, learning & playing all kinds of musical styles. But from an early age blues has been more consistently in my musical life than other styles. I always get enjoyment from playing it & I always wind up cycling back to it after other projects.

Quite often it is still the first thing I play when I pick up a guitar in the morning. :)

I encourage you to work through both blues style courses. Then learn some blues songs. Learn to really play both rhythm & lead. Learn to play with a very clean tone so you know you are getting it firmly in your fingers. You can always turn up the gain after you have command of the skills.

Hope that helps. Let me know if that answers your question!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/13/2019 6:21 am

I encourage you to work through both blues style courses.

[/quote]

Yes, thank you. I believe this is the way for me. I can even validate this after I had a dream last night that I invited B. B. King to my house and we jammed a bit together. :D :D I'm dreaming about guitar and music, man. LOL.

Good deal! What does your current daily routine consist of? [/quote]

Well, basically here's what I do:

Morning time: 20 minutes warm up exercises that I took from here and there, just like spider warm up, scales, and skipping strings sort of things. I try to change them every once in a while. Then I go over the lessons here that I haven't mastered yet. (About 40 minutes to 1 hour)

I'm done through all the core courses here, but I wanted to skim through them again lest I missed something, and also I'm going through your lessons as well - which I love and find them rich and very beneficial so thank you for that.

And evening time I repeat songs that I've learnt and trying new songs. For example now I have two new ones, Sultans of Swing and Thrill is Gone.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

So, if you focus solely on Rock, then you will achieve a certain amount of Rock style skill & songs repertoire in a year. Or, if you focus solely on Blues, then you will achieve a certain amount of Blues style skill & songs repertoire in a year.

If you focus on both Rock & Blues, then you will achieve some percentage of both. Or you might be able to achieve close to the same amount, but in 2 years. Make sense?

The more you dive deep into one strong focus area the more quickly & strongly you will learn & automate it so it becomes second nature to you.

I completely understand now. And so, I have decided to go on one path, I don't want to spread out my focus on many things, as to build one solid style which is Blues.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

I encourage you to work through both blues style courses. Then learn some blues songs. Learn to really play both rhythm & lead. Learn to play with a very clean tone so you know you are getting it firmly in your fingers. You can always turn up the gain after you have command of the skills.

Hope that helps. Let me know if that answers your question!

Yes it does and it answered my question. :)

So now that we have concluded I want to be a Blues guy, what do you think my daily routine should look like? So I can have an idea of where to go and where to shift my mind to.

Time and time again, you have no idea how much I appreciate all your help, Chris. Thank you so much. :)

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/14/2019 1:02 am

Thanks for the info on your routine!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdWell, basically here's what I do:

Morning time: 20 minutes warm up exercises that I took from here and there, just like spider warm up, scales, and skipping strings sort of things. I try to change them every once in a while.[/quote]

If you are focusing on Blues, then use things like simple blues rhythms & licks to warm up. they can be from the course. Or they can be things like this.

Blues in E for Beginners

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=189

If that's too easy, then try something like this.

Blues Using Barre Chords

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=912

Basic Blues Licks

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=723

If that's too easy, then start working on this classic blues vocabulary lick!

Bread & Butter Blues Licks

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1614

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdThen I go over the lessons here that I haven't mastered yet. (About 40 minutes to 1 hour)[/quote]

That's when I would suggest working on material from the Blues courses.

I'm done through all the core courses here, but I wanted to skim through them again lest I missed something, and also I'm going through your lessons as well - which I love and find them rich and very beneficial so thank you for that.

[p]Good deal! At some point you want to work on combining rhythm & lead. I have a whole series of tutorials aimed at this skill.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=170

If that's too easy, ramp it up!

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2422

[quote=jasim.hd]And evening time I repeat songs that I've learnt and trying new songs. For example now I have two new ones, Sultans of Swing and Thrill is Gone.

Start learning blues tunes! :) Start with simple classics that have a great iconic rhythm groove & some easy licks. Examples:

Bring In On Home

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2190

Ain't That Loving You

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2247

Bright Lights

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1763

T-Bone Shuffle

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2092

Rock Me Baby

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1825

[quote=jasim.hd]Time and time again, you have no idea how much I appreciate all your help, Chris. Thank you so much. :)

You're welcome! Hope all that helps. Let me know if you have more questions & have fun diving into the blues!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6
jasim.hd
jasim.hd
02/14/2019 5:53 am

Perfect! So to recap, my practice schedule should more or less look something like this:

- Blues licks warm up.

- Work on material from Blues courses

- Songs

Looks and sounds percect to me. Will start immediately with all the links you've sent me and will take it from there.

You know I'll back with even more questions, right? :D

Thank you really, I do appreciate it all. :)

# 7
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/15/2019 3:26 pm

You've got a good plan!

You know I'll back with even more questions, right?

[p]I'll be ready to answer them! You're welcome. Have fun with it. :)[br][br]

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.