My Story

bturner0
Full Access
bturner0
Full Access
07/13/2017 3:02 pm

I just signed up to continue my second year at Guitar Tricks. I have always wanted to play guitar and finally decided last July to just do it. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. As a beginner, I have often wondered how my progress compared to other players. I have searched this forum for similar postings to give me something to benchmark my experiences against. I thought that I would post my summary of the past year, not to brag, but just to let others know my struggles. I would hope other new players would also post their stories as well.

When I was 10 years old, my 4th grade teacher taught a guitar class. I still remembered a handful of open chords. I did not stick with the guitar then because I was only interested in playing basketball. However, the desire to play has always been with me. Last year, at age 53, I began to research several on-line guitar sites and settled on Guitar Tricks. I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul and began the Fundamentals 1 course. I really enjoyed Lisa's lessons. She takes to time to explain things very well and does not talk down to you. I progressed fairly well with the lessons. I was not able to practice every day as is recommended. The best I have ever done is pacticing about 4 times a week. Life just gets in the way. In fact, I was out of town for two weeks one time and was not able to practice at all.

One question that is asked a lot, is when should I move on to the next lesson. I don't know the answer to that, but for me, I moved on when I felt that I fully understood the concept. That does not mean that I could play the exercise fast enough or without any mistakes. I don't think I have ever played any of the songs without mistakes. The one song that hung me up for quite a while was "I Get It Now". I could not make the chord changes fast enough. I probably practiced that over and over for three weeks. Sometimes I would sit on the couch and practice the chord changes while I watched a football game. After about a month, there was a break through and - I get it now. It took me about four months to get through Fundamentals 1.

I went right into Fundamentals 2. I don't remember any real struggles until Barre Chords came up. The concept of barre chords is not difficult. It just takes time to build up speed to change between chords. I am still working on that but I have been able to see progress. I have the 5th string barres down pretty well but 6th string barres still are a bit slow. I have practiced the scales off and on but have never really developed any speed with them. It took another four months to get through Fundamentals 2. I still go back and practice several of the songs in both Fundamentals 1 and 2 to keep up with the chord changes.

I started into Rock 1. I was very excited to get into this course because that is where my interest is. It was a great course. I just finished it this week. The first two chapters were good. I really appreciated the repeat of barre chords and power chords. The rest of the course I felt was more reference material. I thought it was very interesting. I suspect that I will refer back to it many times in the future. I don't think I am ready to solo or play lead just yet.

When I started the Rock 1 course, I also started playing some of the easy songs. I have about five or six that I have been working on. I really enjoy playing "Runaway Train". I like the chord changes and the fact that It doesn't have the mind numbing repitition. I noticed a big jump in the difficulty between songs rated one guitar and two guitar. Most of this seems to be the speed. I struggle with speed but figure if I have enough songs to keep me occupied, I don't mind practicing them over and over.

My plans are to begin Blues 1 and then move on to Rock 2. I also have a whole bunch of songs that I will begin. So far, this has been a blast!. I am amazed at the progress I have made in a year. Hopefully someone will find my story helpful as they try to compare their experience.

# 1
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
07/14/2017 3:16 am

whassup B, just a quick word to respond. i have a similar story. i have always loved music and wanted to play guitar even at a early age. my cousin played and let me borrow a gibson hummingbird, i think it was something like 50yrs ago. my folks sent me to an old lady that taught music, she would play her mandolin and you would play chords, until you missed one then she would wack you over the knuckles with her ruler, sorta, but not really. i didnt make it stick though. i moved on to other things and never got back to it until about 15yrs ago, spent countless hours praticing, drove my wife crazy and after about 5yrs drifted again. i made pretty good progress but i always felt just mechanical and could not feel comforatable playing in front of others. then about 9mos ago i enrolled here. i love this site and i feel as though i have mostly gained my previous experience back. not as mechanical sounding, i dont think. i love guitar more than ever and dont think i will ever quit again. especially with the help ive found here been working on ''aint that lovin you baby'' with dave c great teacher great song, just plain ole fun. in my humble opinion, whatever your speed, whatever your organization just keep hammerin and truck on. at 60 i'm too damn old to worry a whole lot about it and just love the journey. i do wish i would have had ''guitar tricks'' years ago, i may not have drifted so much....time to pick a little....later.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.